Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bike safety

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

oliver
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Bike safety Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm new here.
I have decided it is the time in my life to get I bike.
I'm turning 18 march 23rd and I have decided to buy myself a 125cc bike.
I've spoken to my friend and he say's the aprilia or the cagiva.
Any views or opinions please post.

One of my major problems is money but it will be affordable as a birthday present from my mother.
However she is extremely paranoid and I need all the info and URL's that I can get that will prove to her that it is safe to ride a motorbike in the hands of a safe driver. I know I am a safe driver because of my car driving which I like to think is overly safe at times.

Any help would be appreciated and should help me join this wonderful hobby that all of you seem to love so dearly.

Thanks

P.s Can the aprilia 125 hold passengers?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Major_Grooves
The Doctor



Joined: 10 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:12 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once you've passed your test why don't you do an advanced riding course to prove to your mum you're a safe rider.

www.iam.org.uk/
www.rospa.org.uk/
www.bikesafe.co.uk/

Yes the aprillia can hold passengers (once you've got your full license)
____________________
About me|@Major_Grooves|My company|Digg|Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

oliver
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 125 can hold passengers. It looks pretty small.

Here:

https://www.aprilia.com/models03/road/eng/modello.phtml?id=27#

Thanx for the help

all other info appreciated.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only evidence you'll really find is anecdotal, there isn't anywhere that states any percentages that'll make your mum feel any better, especially not about 18 year old RS125 riders (isn't it the most crashed bike or something?).

Your best bet is advanced training, like Grooves says, and good safety gear. And don't ride like a twat. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:20 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
The 125 can hold passengers. It looks pretty small.


It's small, underpowered and will suck with a passenger. But it still has a back seat. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Syfoon
TRUCK!!!



Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pillion on an RS125 or Mito isn't fun.

Its not too shabby on an NSR, the dual seat helps muchly, but its just so damn slow Razz.
____________________
Not here...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

oliver
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well It seems that I had the wrong info.

Please post what you think is the top 5 starter bikes.
I'm in the UK.
I need room fo a passenger.

Thanx
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oliver
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:32 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.s What's an NSR?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:36 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.nsr125.com

You can take a passenger on any bike with a back seat (that's 99% of them). Whether it's particularly comfortable or not is another thing alltogether.

If you're going to be doing it all the time, you might want to look at something different to if it's only occasional.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oliver
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or if you can't think of any good starting bikes could you give me a web site that will.


ooooo........I'm awefully demanding aren't I.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the advise most of us give when buying your first 125 is buy cheap, pass your test and get a bigger bike. I'd say go for an NSR125, I've got one and am happy I bought it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:49 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this: https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=16536

Go to Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha websites and look in the 125 category.

Most people on here started on NSR125s. I never had a 125 so can't really recommend one over another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

John
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:51 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: Bike safety Reply with quote

oliver wrote:

I've spoken to my friend and he say's the aprilia or the cagiva.
Any views or opinions please post.

I know I am a safe driver because of my car driving which I like to think is overly safe at times.


Ovbiously I don't know you, or how you ride, but i'd really advise against getting one of those bikes if you like to ride really cafefuly.

They have very little power lower in the revs, but are quick once you hit the power. I may be talking out of my arse, but IMO they would be/are difficult bikes to ride slowly, and if crashed (a new one) would cost you a lot to fix compared to a boring type bike.

This just ends to you (me) redlining the thing in every gear, constantly (you have to, to go quick).

In the last few days i've spent 12 hours on a 4 stroke 125, and IMO Something like a really cheap CG125, or an old 2 stroke would be a better idea. The CG has OK low down pull, and doesn't lead to the same riding style, and the older 2 stroke would have reasonableish power low down, cost less, and lose less value when you come to sell it.

Just my 4029 cents.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi



Joined: 31 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
Well the advise most of us give when buying your first 125 is buy cheap, pass your test and get a bigger bike. I'd say go for an NSR125, I've got one and am happy I bought it.


Snap, and i took the old cheap NSR Very Happy Can't say its been a bad move really.
I'm pretty sure i would have killed myself if i had got straight on aa much bigger bike.
Least with the 125 i know the most i'm gonna get out of it is 24bhp.
Which is fairly restrained.
But still enough to have a bit of fun out of the bike.
____________________
Regards
Scott
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oliver
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for all the advice it's been very useful.

I will need to use the motorway once I get my license, will an 125 be enough?

plus i might have a passenger on board.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi



Joined: 31 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
I will need to use the motorway once I get my license, will an 125 be enough?


Yes, Do motorway journeys frequently on an unfaired NSR.
And will happily do 80mph. Which is a fairly OK speed on the motorway.
2 people unfaired bike, might be a push.

But generally a 2 stroke 125 faired will be fine.

I think Keith used to do runs on his AF1 or RS regularly on a motorway and it coped fine.
____________________
Regards
Scott
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oliver
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what prices should I be looking at for a 125 roughly.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

oliver
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

suziki, yamaha and kawasaki don't seem to do 125's
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Scotty
Scooter Boi



Joined: 31 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:18 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki - RG
Yamaha - TZR

I'm pretty sure kwak do a 125 2 stroke too...
Just cant remember it of the top of my head.


You can get 125's sports* motorbikes as such from about £600 upwards depending on age and condition.
____________________
Regards
Scott
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver wrote:
suziki, yamaha and kawasaki don't seem to do 125's


Yes they do.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

John
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:24 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR125 !!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oliver
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 22 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:28 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

well what are your views on the eliminator by kawasaki?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:31 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google tells me it'd do about 60mph, and cost a lot to repair if you dropped it.

Get something old! Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be silly, you want a good quality Hyosung!

https://trade.hyosung.co.kr/kor/products/image/transport_rx125.jpg

125 4-stroke, the dogs danglies! Wink
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:38 - 22 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off the top of my head:
(motorbikes not scooters) and there's plenty more:

Suzuki:
GS125
TS125
RG125
DR125

Kawasaki:
AR125
KMX125

Yamaha:
TZR125
DT125
SR125

I think most of them also do cruiser style ones, though IMO they're best avoided. Unless you particularly don't like handling or power.

Okay, not all those are available as new bikes, but there's little decent reason to buy a new 125.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.71 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 124.73 Kb