Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Frozen

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

MikeyC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Frozen Reply with quote

How much I love warm, sunny London at winter times (!). I wear a pair of woolly gloves underneath my alpinestars, but my fingertips freeze to the point it actually hurts!! Does everyone else I assume have the same problem, or do they have cunning tricks up their sleeve to avoid this? If so, please let me know!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:25 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cunning trick involves me using a big metal cage to get around in rather than the bike. Laughing

However when I do ride in the cold I'm normally ok as my circulation is very good.

Overly tight gloves won't help as they will restrict blood flow. Consider maybe getting some heated grips.
____________________
The BCF's very own Party boy! Though he's getting old and feeling it!
Monkey hanger, Born and bred
My little photo portfolio
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dusty
King of the Rim



Joined: 25 Mar 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:29 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use Danny's method. Laughing

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=21317
____________________
Gallery
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Milo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 08 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

while cruising my left hand's on my engine, and when at lights my right hand is there (or both depending on where i'm sat)
it helps not having a sports bike, small bike or v-twin as i'm sure that'd be quite tricky!
____________________
Shaft drives rule. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeyC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:41 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about the heated handlebars but surely that wouldnt stop your fingertips freezing? The rest of your hand will be warm admittedly, but still.....!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

PsychoHippy
Jammy Git



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:04 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try wearing 'windstoper' glove inserts - I use them for my 45 mile commute and they tend to keep my hands comfortable (still get cold, but they stop the worst of it). If it gets too bad then heated handgrips are the answer.
____________________
I spend all my money on bikes and beer, the rest I simply waste!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated grips rock Smile

Got some Daytona ones, and they're going for £40 on MPS The Fast One website right now... can't remember the link though Sad
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady



Joined: 07 Jul 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Re: Frozen Reply with quote

On the long commute in the dead of winter nothing does the hippy better than his heated handgrips. Myself i have tried a lot of things (except heated hand grips - not sure about the V' Rap's battery!) but I just cant keep my hands warm. I seem to get very effected by wind chill very quickly even on quite wam days all over my body - its why I am not that fond of long distance motorway driving not long at 80 will chill me.

mikec106 wrote:
How much I love warm, sunny London at winter times (!). I wear a pair of woolly gloves underneath my alpinestars, but my fingertips freeze to the point it actually hurts!! Does everyone else I assume have the same problem, or do they have cunning tricks up their sleeve to avoid this? If so, please let me know!

____________________
Karma - Karma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

John
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:03 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grips ste was talking about at https://www.thefastone.co.uk/offer1.asp
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:14 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a common problem mate. I'm out all weathers and I get not only freezing hands but freezing feet too Sad. I wear 8 squillion socks to protect my feet but i have to use these £20 weise gloves that aren't very good at stopping the cold Confused .

I'm going to buy some proper winter gloves winter 2004 Smile.
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:20 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, put some plastic bags on over your socks to keep your feet dry Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR125-Kid-UK
Attention Whore



Joined: 03 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dry isn't the problem mate. It's the wind chill Confused .
____________________
https://www.bikepics.com/members/nsrandy/96rs250/ My Bike!

"I'm either going to teach andy to get his knee down, or I'm going to get him killed. One of the two" - Teaman
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

snotty-R6
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 23 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 23 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a 60 mile commute down the M11 and found that heated gloves are better then grips.

It's all about keeping your core temp up. So I invested in a heated jacket liner that I can use to boost my body temp when it dips to low i.e. shiver.

Be warned that the jacket draws 5.5amp at 12 volts so you better have a big engine or be going fast on that scooter.

Look here if you want what I wear.
____________________
aaaaw, gee! Not another R6!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 288 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.44 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 77.69 Kb