Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


building a pc

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

kiers
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 07 Jan 2008    Post subject: building a pc Reply with quote

since its cheaper to build a pc rather than to buy one prebuilt ive decided to do that.
problem is i dont know a lot about the compatability of the components so could anybody tell me if all this is compatible and if not what would be a good substitution

any advice on changes to make would also be appreciated. thanks in advance
____________________
'but this wasn't any ordinary clio197.this was the SUPER DUPER version.
ooh i can't wait for the next instalment of superluke and his tales of skullduggery.' - lurker 27 sep 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 07 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few questions first;
What is the main purpose of this PC? Gaming, Photo/Video editing, office/internet etc?

Initial feedback is that the memory is very expensive for what it is, shop arround as you can get PC6400 DDR2 for about £30.

Also do you need the P5K premium with wi-fi? The normal p5k is a great board and is a lot cheaper.

Why do you need the sound card? its no better than the on board sound on most motherboards these days.

Other sites to try;

https://www.scan.co.uk/
https://www.ebuyer.com/
https://www.overclockers.co.uk

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andi
Crazy Courier



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:09 - 07 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also a good site. I had my son'S spec looked over by these guys and He is now the happy owner of one "Dad built" PC Cool

https://www.buildyourown.org.uk/forums/
____________________
Before: Suzuki GT 185. Honda Superdream 250. Yamaha RD350LC. Suziki RG250. Yamaha FZS600. Honda CBR600F3
Now: Honda Fireblade 929
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kiers
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 07 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt realise on oard sound was any good, i wont bother with a sound card then in that case.

and the pc will be for gaming
____________________
'but this wasn't any ordinary clio197.this was the SUPER DUPER version.
ooh i can't wait for the next instalment of superluke and his tales of skullduggery.' - lurker 27 sep 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 07 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would swap the 8600 for something better as that may struggle with newer games. 8800gt or a 3870XT, I know there a bit more expensive, but you can't put a cheapo graphics card in a gaming rig. I would also swap the MB for an Asus P5KC, much cheaper and supports DDR3

https://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=615972

The el cheapo PSU might struggle with the newer graphics cards. This should power pretty much anything:

https://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=446788

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:57 - 07 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

divuk83 wrote:
I would swap the 8600 for something better as that may struggle with newer games. 8800gt or a 3870XT, I know there a bit more expensive, but you can't put a cheapo graphics card in a gaming rig. I would also swap the MB for an Asus P5KC, much cheaper and supports DDR3


I dunno I'm running an 8600GT and its fantastic and seems to run anything I chuck at it no problems, plus cost me like £70 so can't complain at all with that price.

But will agree that a decent power supply is essential.
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:49 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:
I dunno I'm running an 8600GT and its fantastic and seems to run anything I chuck at it no problems, plus cost me like £70 so can't complain at all with that price.


Depends what you chuck at it though - my 8800GTS won't run Crysis or Call of Duty 4 smoothly on maximum settings.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ahmato_
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:02 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=708007

Theres an 8800GT there for £117, if you follow divuk's suggestion and swap the mobo, the money you saved there could be chucked into the £70 odd your paying for an 8600. Ideally, you'll want the 512mb 8800GT, but the 256 will do just fine tbh.

ncrn wrote:

I dunno I'm running an 8600GT and its fantastic and seems to run anything I chuck at it no problems, plus cost me like £70 so can't complain at all with that price.




Indeed, if your feeling brave you could overclock it...Theres videos knocking about on youtube of a guy with an OC 8600GT running things like CoD 4 on high at a decent res...
____________________
SavageKymco wrote: lol yea yea, im just gettin food here, keep my strength up you know. all this killing takes a lot out of a guy Ha ha
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:11 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahmato_ wrote:
https://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=708007

Theres an 8800GT there for £117, if you follow divuk's suggestion and swap the mobo, the money you saved there could be chucked into the £70 odd your paying for an 8600. Ideally, you'll want the 512mb 8800GT, but the 256 will do just fine tbh.

ncrn wrote:

I dunno I'm running an 8600GT and its fantastic and seems to run anything I chuck at it no problems, plus cost me like £70 so can't complain at all with that price.




Indeed, if your feeling brave you could overclock it...Theres videos knocking about on youtube of a guy with an OC 8600GT running things like CoD 4 on high at a decent res...


The 256 won't do just fine if you want to run a decent resolution.

T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:21 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Toms Hardware, they tested a 512MB 8600GT and got 35.5fps from Crysis at 1600x1200, high quality. It was only 2.2fps behind the 768MB 8800GTS.

I've seen respectible results on the 256MB cards, but it depends on budget. There's normally something better for just a bit more money. It's a slippery slope...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ahmato_
Crazy Courier



Joined: 03 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:44 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:


The 256 won't do just fine if you want to run a decent resolution.

T


Depends on his what resolution his screens at..If its a standard 17" running at 1024x768 then that extra will be wasted. But considering how much you'd be paying anyway, you might as well do it properly and I would go all the way to 512mb..
____________________
SavageKymco wrote: lol yea yea, im just gettin food here, keep my strength up you know. all this killing takes a lot out of a guy Ha ha
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kiers
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:01 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

well im already chucking a good few hundred quid at it, i might aswell go for the 512 8800. cheers for the help folks. keep an eye out for the 'shit ive broke me new pc' thread whne i start putting it together on thursday
____________________
'but this wasn't any ordinary clio197.this was the SUPER DUPER version.
ooh i can't wait for the next instalment of superluke and his tales of skullduggery.' - lurker 27 sep 2008
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:04 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiers wrote:
well im already chucking a good few hundred quid at it, i might aswell go for the 512 8800. cheers for the help folks. keep an eye out for the 'shit ive broke me new pc' thread whne i start putting it together on thursday


You won't break it, they take a lot of abuse, I have cocks for hands and I proper manhandled my mobo in, was well surprised when it worked.

T
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ncrn
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:33 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahmato_ wrote:
Indeed, if your feeling brave you could overclock it...Theres videos knocking about on youtube of a guy with an OC 8600GT running things like CoD 4 on high at a decent res...


I've got a BFG card which from what I gather are slightly overclocked to begin with, I'm not much for messing around with in game settings if I'm honest but it ran Bioshock on high settings (everything but antialiasing cause I'm not sure what it is Wink).
____________________
Past: 55 Sym Jet, 91 ZZR250, 03 NSR125R. Present: 97 ER-5.
https://www.nsr125.co.uk - NSR Owners forum.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby R wrote:
kiers wrote:
well im already chucking a good few hundred quid at it, i might aswell go for the 512 8800. cheers for the help folks. keep an eye out for the 'shit ive broke me new pc' thread whne i start putting it together on thursday


You won't break it, they take a lot of abuse, I have cocks for hands and I proper manhandled my mobo in, was well surprised when it worked.

T

LMAO still sends shudders through me when I thought my mobo cracked when I was putting my CPU cooler in. Laughing
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:40 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I then left the backing plate for the CPU cooler out after putting the mobo on so I prised the board up and slid it under... Haha

Computer bits are cheap compared to bikes though Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

divuk83
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Nov 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:49 - 08 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncrn wrote:

I've got a BFG card which from what I gather are slightly overclocked to begin with, I'm not much for messing around with in game settings if I'm honest but it ran Bioshock on high settings (everything but antialiasing cause I'm not sure what it is Wink).


Only advantage to getting the more expensive BFG cards is the great lifetime warranty. All the cards from the different manufacturers are almost exactly the same , just in different packaging with different stickers on the card. If you plan on overclocking then get the cheapest one and it will clock just as well the BFG cards with a few mins of fiddling.

Dave
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 279 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 1.78 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 101.54 Kb