Drink Driving

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 14:13 - 02 Jan 2004    Post subject: Drink Driving Reply with quote

Hi

Just found a bit on an article in the Telegraph on drink driving.

Seems that between 1993 and 2002 there was a 39% increase in alcohol related accidents (ie, one where one or more drivers was above the drink drive limit), resulting in a 34% increase in the number of casualties.

Nice that all those Gatso cameras do a so much better job than the police at keeping the roads safe.

All the best

Keith

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:21 - 02 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good find Keith Karma

I'd also like to see some figures relating to the number of uninsured drivers over the years. I know the figures will be speculative but I am just curious to see if the detection rate has increased or not. Question

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 15:53 - 02 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Last figure I heard was about 1m cars that are on the road yet not taxed / insured / registered.

Certainly seems to be getting more common for people to report problems with cars that turn out to be wearing false plates.

Mind you, there was this article in the Oxford Mail

Quote:
An Oxfordshire woman has been hit with London congestion and motoring fines of more than £1000 - despite having never driven in the capital.
Carly Anderton, 20, has been given 18 £40 fines for allegedly driving in London's congestion zone without paying the £5 fee.
She also got two £100 fines for driving in bus lanes and three fines for parking illegally.
Transport for London (TfL), which issues the fines, sent Miss Anderton CCTV pictures of a car which looks the same as her green Ford Ka and has the same number plate.
But Miss Anderton, of Shaw Close, Bicester, has provided evidence to TfL that she was on holiday at the time of one of the offences and was working at the Bicester Village retail centre when most of the others took place. She said she had not driven to London since she brought her car in August and that the car in the pictures had a different coloured bumper.
Despite this, TfL agreed to drop only three of the charges and has warned the fines will go up to £150 unless they are paid next month. Miss Anderton, who lodged an appeal against the other penalties, said: "I've written letters, provided then with evidence to show it couldn't have been me, and phoned their help-line at least 20 times."
"I've told Bicester police and they were helpful, but the only advice they could give me was to not pay the fines and call 999 if the bailiffs turn up at out home."
Thames Valley Police has referred the case to the Metropolitan Police to investigate. A Metropolitan Police spokesman said false plates were usually used by criminals. He added: " We will certainly thoroughly investigate if an allegation like this is made. We would prosecute anyone found to have copied plates."
TfL said Miss Anderton had taken the correct action by lodging an appeal.

Or this one https://www.thisisoxfordshire.co.uk/oxfordshire/archive/2003/11/19/NEWS0ZM.html

Quote:
A woman alleged to have been speeding in Essex less than an hour after she gave birth to a daughter in Oxford has been driven to her wits' end by erroneous traffic summonses.

Trudy Chamberlain, 39, has received a series of penalty notices relating to a Chrysler Grand Voyager that she sold in March.

Five of them claim she drove through London's congestion charge zone in August and September without paying the required fee.

A ticket from Essex Police also claims she drove the Chrysler at 40mph in a 30mph zone in Lodge Lane, Grays, at 3.49am on October 18 -- just 56 minutes after she gave birth to her sixth child, Jaid, at an Oxford hospital.

Ms Chamberlain, of Ashdown Way, Grove, near Wantage, said: "I can't get over the one when I was having the baby.

"Jaid was born at the John Radcliffe Hospital at 2.53am that day, so I couldn't have been driving. I had a strong epidural and couldn't walk for hours afterwards."

She part-exchanged a black Voyager, registration number R754 FEV, for a Toyota through car trader Japanese Connection, at Rowstock, near Didcot.

After receiving the first two congestion charge penalty notices, she wrote to Transport for London (TfL) -- which enforces the zone -- and was assured the demands would be quashed and she would not receive more.

She said the DVLA confirmed it was aware she was not the vehicle's registered owner.

Then three more congestion charge fines arrived, alleging infringements across London at Millbank, Minories, and Tabernacle Street, on September 3, 9 and 12.

Ms Chamberlain now faces £365 in fines -- issued by Northampton County Court's 'Bulk Centre'.

She said: "I don't know what to do. There's no telephone number to ring, but I'm not paying a fine for a car I don't own."

Japanese Connection director Shaun Church said Ms Chamberlain's inquiries were initially handled by a sales manager who had since left.

Details of the man who bought the vehicle have now been passed on to TfL.

Mr Church said: "From start to finish, it's been a very strange affair.

"I've handled it personally since I came back from Japan recently and, as far as I'm concerned, it has now been dealt with."

A spokesman for TfL said Ms Chamberlain would not have to pay the three latest charges if she wrote to them explaining what had happened and that she had been told that the two previous demands would be quashed.

He added: "On this occasion it does appear that a mistake has been made at our end, and for that we would apologise profusely."

All the best

Keith

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:25 - 02 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh before I forget...

Interesting piece in MCN last week (not latest one) where MCN encouraged everyone to try to get some Gatso data of of their local Safety camera Group. Apparently some guy has been phoning around every County trying to get the data out of them (especially casualty figures etc etc). Well what a suprise (not) that there has been a memo sent round telling everyone not to leak any information to anyone.

If Gatsos are so safe then why are they hiding the data?

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 16:32 - 02 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That guy is Paul Smith from SafeSpeed (https://www.safespeed.org.uk), and the memo was sent by the North Wales Furher, Brunstrom. There is also the guy who managed to get the financial figures for Essex (which were very difficult to get hold of as they try and keep it secret how much money they are wasting).

There are all sorts of fiddles going round at the moment in the scamera partnerships. For example, one report from a copper who found that the civilian employees of the scamera partnership were changing the recorded causes of accidents to excessive speed so that they could stick a camera up.

Join the ABD.

All the best

Keith
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 158 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1