Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

carvell
Scuttler

PostPosted: 12:36 - 29 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rs125 wrote:
Danny wrote:
Be careful if your stuck in traffic, they can fail you for 'not making progress' so if you can safely filter and don't you will get failed for it.

Accutally you shouldn't filter in the test, if you do then most examiners will fail you for it.

Why?

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School

PostPosted: 17:00 - 29 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

rs125 wrote:
Danny wrote:
Be careful if your stuck in traffic, they can fail you for 'not making progress' so if you can safely filter and don't you will get failed for it.

Accutally you shouldn't filter in the test, if you do then most examiners will fail you for it.

Sorry mate, your wrong. You should filter on your test if it's safe to do so. I got told by my instructors to filter and I did it on my test.
Please tell us where you heard that you shouldn't filter on your test.

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 17:04 - 29 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told by an instructor and an examiner that you shouldn't filter as it's still a grey area in the law.

Danny

PostPosted: 17:16 - 29 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think they're cleared it up. The main ambiguity with filtering and the law is what is the max filtering speed, afaik that is roughly 15mph above the other traffic speed.

Will
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:44 - 29 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Just to pour more petrol on the fire, my instructor also told me not to filter at all on my test. Apparently instructors aren't all that keen on filtering. God knows why.

Cheers,

Will
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny

PostPosted: 23:23 - 29 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone safely filtered in their test and been failed for it?

Hands up those who have filtered on their test and passed with flying colours?
/ me raises hand.

From what i've been told by both instructors and examiners you will get failed if there is room to filter and your sitting there behind a car like a pleb. Unless you've had a very good ride, in which case they'll probably let you off.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 15:14 - 30 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will not get failed for not filtering. If you do decide that you are going to filter then it must be done safely otherwise you will fail for it. Thats what I was told by my instructor and I'm just not going to bother filtering to be on the safe side.

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 16:33 - 30 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is no way you will be marked down if there is an opportunity to filter and you refuse it

filtering is a benefit of a motorcycle, its not a set in stone way of riding, if you start filtering on a test it opens up all these extra things the examiner can pick you up for

sitting patiently in traffic would be far recommended over filtering, it also passes the 35 mins covering less distance which is less possible ground to make a mistake, sit in traffic constantly checking your mirrors and covering the back brake, will gain you far more credit than trying to filter

overtaking is different, dont sit behind a bus, if its stopped just because its easier, but id recommend leave the filtering for when you pass your test and learn to ride properly
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino

PostPosted: 17:07 - 30 Dec 2003    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:

overtaking is different, dont sit behind a bus, if its stopped just because its easier, but id recommend leave the filtering for when you pass your test and learn to ride properly

That's what I was failed on Sad I'd like to see you stick your head round a bus into oncoming traffic Very Happy

rs125
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:16 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
rs125 wrote:
Danny wrote:

Sorry mate, your wrong. You should filter on your test if it's safe to do so. I got told by my instructors to filter and I did it on my test.

Seems most people were told the same

exxon-jen
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:37 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unlucky lad........my mate got failed by being just under 5 minutes late due to an accident happening on the only route to the test centre........the examiner listened to his reason, allowed him to sweat for a couple of minutes then just said 'You have failed. Looks like u have wasted not only your own time and money but mine too' - and walked back into his office to write out the fail sheet!

It nearly put him off going in for it a 2nd time, he was that mad! Anyway he did, and passed 4 weeks later with the same examiner!

So good luck and dont give up......big bike heaven is well worth the stress!!
Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

exxon-jen
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 09:55 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
sitting patiently in traffic would be far recommended over filtering, it also passes the 35 mins covering less distance which is less possible ground to make a mistake, sit in traffic constantly checking your mirrors and covering the back brake, will gain you far more credit than trying to filter

I totally agree with wildgoose on this one.........theres way too much that can go wrong filtering on your test.........it only takes a nob-head lane-jumper suddenly deciding to cut across without indicating or noticing u........u might be forced into a real 'emergency stop' - only for the examiner to fail u on the nano-second your rear wheel locked up!!!!

The examiner isnt expecting an experienced bike veteran who can do all the tricks.........they just want to see an inexperienced rider who has done their homework and riding within the limits of their capabilities.......ride like your gran drives (its only 35 minutes after all!) ! Laughing

Danny

PostPosted: 10:48 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I know some examiners (maybe its just local ones Confused ) will fail you if you sit in traffic for ages when you can safely filter.

But each to their own, if your taking lessons from a local training school they should know what that particular examiner(s) is like. I was told to filter only when there was a long line of cars and when it was safe, so it doesn't mean you have to filter like a London courier.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:51 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

When we are talking filter, are we actually talking 'filter' or 'overtake'.

I can see the overtake thing being classed as reasonable, however I can see all sorts of problems if someone was failed for not filtering, then say got hit in their next test when they were filtering.

rs125
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 13:15 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

On DAS your expected to make reasonable progress, which means if its safe to overtake a slow car on an A road you should. On a 125 your not expected to overtake moving cars.

If you filter you risk being marked down for being too close to a stationary car or too close to a car coming the other direction.

You should also give cycleists the same room when overtaking as you would if you were in a car.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 15:05 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overtaking if you're able to do so without breaking the law is perfctly reasonable on a 125 in your test. Smile

You're not expected to overtake in your test unless there is a time when you should be. IMO you're best bot overtaking unless it is a tractor or something stupidly slow as there is so much more they can fail you on if you do an overtake Smile

andrew
Mister Road Rage

PostPosted: 15:14 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
Well I think they're cleared it up. The main ambiguity with filtering and the law is what is the max filtering speed, afaik that is roughly 15mph above the other traffic speed.

Is actually 5mph, i was told by my instructor to filter, like has already been said, i guess its down to the examiner you get on the day but if it is safe to filter i would do it on the test, as long as you do it safely it shows that you're confident and aren't going to be causing problems for other road users. Do it unsafely and he will bend you over and aim for penetration. Bad luck by the way but like you said, summer is still miles away. Smile

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 16:24 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
summer is still miles away. Smile

It's getting closer Very Happy It was actually light when I left for work this morning Very Happy Mr. Green Karma

Bendy
Mrs Sensible

PostPosted: 16:51 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

rs125 wrote:
On DAS your expected to make reasonable progress, which means if its safe to overtake a slow car on an A road you should.

But apparently not a bus. Embarassed

M1ke
Ped Boi

PostPosted: 17:00 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I out accelerated some old biddy on the duel carriage way on my bike test (using a crap 125 4 stroke that wouldn't go much over 65mph)

Just shows you how slow some car drivers are.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Mrs_Hippy
The Pink Lady

PostPosted: 19:38 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I remember my instructor said that if I was not seen to be making 'reasonable progress' then it would mark against me as being overly hesitant and over cautious. I don't think she meant filtering though and in this area not going to the front of the que during the day only leaves you a few cars back so I didn't filter.

rs125 wrote:
Danny wrote:
rs125 wrote:
Danny wrote:

actually you shouldn't filter in the test, if you do then most examiners will fail you for it.

Seems most people were told the same

Shaun
Likes 'em bent

PostPosted: 20:52 - 05 Jan 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on a lesson tonight so I asked my instructor about it. You will not get failed for not filtering, if you do filter then it does open up a whole new things that you could get failed on so it is best not to filter. You will not fail for not making progress, you will only fail on that if you are not travelling at the speed limit when possible.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 20 years, 155 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2