Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Whisky drinkers - post your flava....

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:59 - 19 Jan 2008    Post subject: Whisky drinkers - post your flava.... Reply with quote

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to be dead by the time I'm 60 from the smacking my liver takes from whisky..... I made a point a while back (say, 12 years) to really 'learn' whisky. But I still feel like I haven't got a clue.

So - I know I like Glenmorangie, and Jamesons (I know, I apologise) as far as sweet and smooth texture. I know I like the smokeyness of a good Laphroaig, but after trying everything Sainsbury's has to offer I'm thinking a visit to the Highlands will be in order sometime soon.

Anybody want to give a suggestion and appraise it with a meaningful description?


Last edited by UnknownStuntman on 12:57 - 20 Jan 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:22 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried Jack Daniels?

Hah hah.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pwntifex
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:22 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strawberry.
____________________
the warped one: This is a follow up from the thread 'my willy hurts'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

T1z3R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:54 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mate works for https://www.bowmore.co.uk/ and his bulbous red nose is coming along well so i guess their tipples pass the taste test.

cant stand the stuff personally...JD & C over ice is all i can handle.
____________________
duck my sick!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:56 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few times I enjoy a wee dram these days, it's the 18-year-old Macallan that I go for.
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Born2bVile
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:02 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to drink a fair bit of the single malts.

Usually I go to the supermarket and see what they've got in the £15-£20 bracket.

Currently drinking a bottle of Talisker. Rather nice, slight hint of the Laphroiag in there
Thumbs Up
____________________
NABD Treasurer
National Association for Bikers with a Disability
Reg Charity No. 1040907
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rookie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:39 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I quite like Johnny Walker but after making some Werthers' Original vodka the other day I decided it's better than any whiskey. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ram_doom
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:01 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant's Sherry cask reserve is top stuff. In comparison, it makes Jack Daniels taste like the cheap teen scene effluent that it is Mr. Green

I'd describe it as smooth, sweet, and erm, burny... Embarassed
____________________
TL1000s, KDX200
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

olionel
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate whiskey.... Ihate it... do people acquire a taste for it as they got older and more of their taste buds die? Oooo mmm I can taste the peat... mmmm Sick Sick
____________________
1989 CG125 - Childhood Sweetheart (she got kidnapped by baddies)
1998 ZXR400 - Teenage Love (lasted three years, then she turned lesbian and left me)
2001 XRV750 - Wife Material (still getting to know her but head over heels in love)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevep
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:33 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Bushmills its from Northen Ireland and if you ever go out there it is well worth a factory visit if just for the free samples
____________________
Harleys run Forever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Grav
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:57 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

BruichLaddich is sheer nectar. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NickD
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:05 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's sometimes a nightmare to get hold of as most of it's exported, and it's not cheap, but there isn't a better whisky than Genfarclas 105. Most of your single malts are like drain cleaner by comparison.

........ and unless someone's spiked your drink whisky doesn't have an 'e' in it. Laughing

(Unless your a boghopper of course)
____________________
I was only doing what it said on my licence officer....
Tear along the dotted line!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I like Jura but it's so drinkable I have to watch myself.

My absolute favourite is Bunnahabhain which is unique among Scotch whiskey in that the spring water used has naturally filtered through granite rather than peat so it has a distinctively sharp/crisp taste, but I can't drink it in quantity.

My latest aquisition is a bottle of Penderyn which as described on the bottle has an "aroma of cream toffee and... fresh leather" and after notes "of tropical fruits, raisins and vanilla". I think that's pretty accurate and it is one of the nicest whiskeys I've ever drunk, so I'll have to watch myself there as well.

If you're into cheaper drinks I'd recommend the Grants oak/sherry cask finished blends that are currently on offer at Sainsburys for £9.99/bottle.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:59 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nkd666 wrote:

........ and unless someone's spiked your drink whisky doesn't have an 'e' in it. Laughing
Oh very oops. Now edited. In my defence I had about 5 inside me while I was writing it..... Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

cestrian
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushmills 10 year old single malt. I tried it at the Bulldog Bash many years ago, it's the only Whiskey worth drinking IMO
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:36 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If ye want tae ken ocht aboot Whisky get a haud o' a wee book published by Colins. It tells ye awe ye need tae ken aboot the stuff.
And details of the places that make the stuff.

It's the Sherry casks which give most of the character, and then who and how they make it provides the consistency

I like Glenkinchie as it's a nice dram, not as strongly flavoured as other malts and priced well enough to make it affordable.

Glenlivet, any one of them is gargling juice. And never should be passed up.

Work your way up the strengths is the way to do it properly as you 'educate' your pallet. (Must be a contradiction in terms there. I have tried several times to do this, but invariable ended up pished on the 2nd bottle we sampled.)

There is no big deal in discovering what you like. The good thing is, most popular malts are all pretty much distinctive in their own right which adds a bit of 'interest' to study. But after 10 glasses who the f*kc cares anymore where it's coming from?

Water of Life.
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:44 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know i like glenmorangie which is a malt whisky, and i know i hate blended whiskies like bells as they are mostly grain whisky.

I keep meaning to try the own brand malt whiskies as i reckon they will be pretty good and these days they arent much more than branded blended whiskies.

I dont drink much and like to sip a little and savour the flavour.
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:11 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers all, Karma given for the recommendations. I think I'll have to look a bit harder into some of them. Thing is, I like to make a night of it, with a few (make it a round half-dozen) bottles on the go at once, so you can really taste the difference. So to buy just one example won't do me a lot of good... ££$$££ anyone?? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Born2bVile
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were handing out free samples of Bushmills at Gmex Bike Show the other week.

We kept taking several at a time, to the point where they came over to our stall to find out where the party was Thumbs Up
____________________
NABD Treasurer
National Association for Bikers with a Disability
Reg Charity No. 1040907
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:29 - 20 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oban and tallisker are my faves, absolutely beautiful. Tallisker is like drinking golden syrup mixed with cream.

Gotta love JD for quaffing!
____________________
Quietly and consistently taking the piss.
TL1000R | Hayabusa | ZXR400 | TL1000S | Bandit 400 V
Fatter and faster than Fret
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 260 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 0.61 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 105.02 Kb