Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Multilingual people amongst you...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:04 - 31 Jan 2008    Post subject: Multilingual people amongst you... Reply with quote

What do you consider your 'internal' language? As in, which language do you think in? For those of you who spent a lot of time around people speaking your second language, did you start to think and dream in that language?

Do we have an internal language at all? Do people who have been deaf from birth think in words or pictures? Is it normal for thoughts to run through your head in words?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 31 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I speak and write German and Spanish.

Sometimes I will be writing/doing a paper and the foreign words will slip in.

Like Ich instead of I etc.
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pwntifex
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:14 - 31 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm bilingual (French/English), learned French first, so I can only give you the bilingual perspective. Think in French if I'm thinking about French things generally, but most of the time I tend to switch between the two at will. If I'm in France then I won't speak English at all, nor will I think in it. The change over is pretty quick.
I think in Russian sometimes also, but my Russian isn't really developed enough for that to be a usual thing. So I would say that my internal language isn't solely restricted to one language.

I will say that I feel much more confident speaking French than English, and tend to come across as being a more confident and outspoken person in the former. My thoughts tend to be clearer if my 'internal voice' is thinking in French, too.

I also think being bilingual gives you unique setup as far as languages are concerned; not sure if part of the brain is 'activated' by being brought up with more than one language or what, but I certainly feel (from having talked to other language students) that the way I think about languages is much different to the way they do, and learning new languages (especially picking up accents) is rather more easy for me than a lot of my peers.
Having said that, although grammatical rules are generally pretty quickly learned and internalized, if questioned it's difficult to put across (because it feels 'innate' rather than learned).

Make sense? Embarassed
____________________
the warped one: This is a follow up from the thread 'my willy hurts'
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 31 Jan 2008    Post subject: Re: Multilingual people amongst you... Reply with quote

TheBassJunky wrote:
did you start to think and dream in that language?


I masturbate in French mostly.
Je t'aime Embarassed
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

quacker_boy
Cuddle Bitch



Joined: 06 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:11 - 31 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wouldn't want to know what my arabic thoughts are...Shifty
____________________
wizzzard wrote: Imagine God just stopping by, tidying your front room up and then quietly letting himself out again. Statisticly more likely to happen than Korn being on here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:39 - 31 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

quacker_boy wrote:
You wouldn't want to know what my arabic thoughts are...Shifty


Death to infidels.

That camel sure looks nice.

My ass itches, damn sand.

My balls itch, damn sand.

Aiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii *BOOM*
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 31 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
My ass itches and my balls itch, damn water hose.


Edited... Embarassed
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:18 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

German by birth and I spent a fair amount of time in different Slavic Countries,mainly Croatia. Also speak a bit of Italian, Dutch, and French. Lived in Birmingham for a fair chuck of my long life and that's where my accent comes from.

I find myself thinking in English and 'converting' with the languages I don't use so much. When it comes to German and Croatian I don't think any differently than I would with English, it just sort of happens. When I'm ill or tired I find myself drifting through different countries, I get some strange looks at times.

I work with a fair number of Germans and find I have to have some time with nothing going on when I get home after a busy day before I can have a conversation with my wife without drifting. I do find that I misunderstand some posts on here occasionally, think I sometimes get the tense and grammar wrong.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oisky
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 11 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:59 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

"German by birth and I spent a fair amount of time in different Slavic Countries,mainly Croatia. Also speak a bit of Italian, Dutch, and French"

All those countries and accents to choose from and you end up with a Birmingham one. Some people get all the luck!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I worked for BMW I used to be accused of being Brumvarian.

You can see the surprise on peoples faces when the bloke next to them who was rambling on in German to someone turns round and says "Yo orrite?"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

kawashima
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Multilingual people amongst you... Reply with quote

TheBassJunky wrote:
As in, which language do you think in?

I try hard to think in english but usually end up thinking in japanese first. My TOEIC score is 755. They say 900 level person can think in english. I read BCF everyday and I hope it helps me thinking in english more.(Of course this is a secondary objective.)
When I watched foreign pink movie, I dreamed in english once. I was saying "Ohhhh Yeahh....zzz"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Glen
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Multilingual people amongst you... Reply with quote

Walloper wrote:
TheBassJunky wrote:
did you start to think and dream in that language?


I masturbate in French mostly.
Je t'aime Embarassed


And you wondered why the teacher didn't like you Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Walloper
Super Spammer



Joined: 24 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Re: Multilingual people amongst you... Reply with quote

Glen wrote:
Walloper wrote:
I masturbate in French mostly.
Je t'aime Embarassed


And you wondered why the teacher didn't like you Rolling Eyes


You un romantic fool you. Crying or Very sad Laughing
____________________
W-ireless A-rtificial L-ifeform L-imited to O-bservation P-eacekeeping and E-fficient R-epair
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Madmanx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:08 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I,m conilingual.. Rolling Eyes
It means I can lick two pussies at once.
____________________
https://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/manxhornet/Hornet001.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:13 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your own and ....?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Madmanx
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 01 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichy wrote:
Your own and ....?


Him.
____________________
https://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll9/manxhornet/Hornet001.jpg
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

fourten
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:19 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

British born chinese, chinese is my mother tongue but think in English as my chinese is pretty poor nowadays...
____________________
www.artridertraining.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:27 - 02 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm natural born Brunette but I sometimes think in blonde.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 249 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.09 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 102.88 Kb