Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Insurance Dilemma...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Insurance Dilemma... Reply with quote

Righty then, am in a conundrum with my insurance. Today I passed my unrestricted license, so will be moving up from my CB400 to the Thundercat.

I am only just 21 so am used to paying lots for insurance, but...my conundrum is this -

My current insurer's (H&R) will insure me for £125 extra (have already paid about £500 for the insurance) and this policy will run out on the 9th of June.

I asked them how much they will refund me if I cancel the policy now, as it is and I will get £175.

So, I ran an few quotes, and managed to get a quote of £360 from Carole Nash, and that would start tomorrow, so is a whole years insurance.

So -

a) do i spend £125 more for the next 5 months, BUT get 1 year no claims discount.

b) spend £185 on a new policy which lasts for a year, but I won't have any no claims discount till this time next year.


So...any advice anyone?

ta!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jackyboy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCD FTW.
It'll prove useful as premiums start going up - insurers have lost 8bn since last monday - you can guarantee that will show up on renewals :o

NCD is ALWAYS the way forward, pretty much
____________________
Insurance Beehatch Supremo- Direct any grumbles about repudiated claims my way
Yamaha SR125 - Scrapped 13/06/2006. Hyosung GT125R - Totalled 18/11/2006.
Honda VFR400R NC30 - Totalled 09/02/2007. CBR600F - currently in 1 piece...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jackyboy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:10 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah, well done on passing your test!
____________________
Insurance Beehatch Supremo- Direct any grumbles about repudiated claims my way
Yamaha SR125 - Scrapped 13/06/2006. Hyosung GT125R - Totalled 18/11/2006.
Honda VFR400R NC30 - Totalled 09/02/2007. CBR600F - currently in 1 piece...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:12 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackyboy wrote:
oh yeah, well done on passing your test!


Cheers! Thumbs Up

I only wish my Thundercat wasn't in peices so I could go out on it!!!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jackyboy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries -- ride safe!
____________________
Insurance Beehatch Supremo- Direct any grumbles about repudiated claims my way
Yamaha SR125 - Scrapped 13/06/2006. Hyosung GT125R - Totalled 18/11/2006.
Honda VFR400R NC30 - Totalled 09/02/2007. CBR600F - currently in 1 piece...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

NCB Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:45 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the time and get the NCB, and nicely done. Thumbs Up
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S


Last edited by Kal on 17:59 - 29 Jan 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kitty kat
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:49 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with the NCB.

Well done on passing Thumbs Up
____________________
Enjoy everyday, tell those you love everyday you love them
Life is too short to fall out with people
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Blackwolf
Burgerfist



Joined: 19 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:25 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As whats been said ^^^^ there, go for the NCD as it will soon add up.

Congrats for passing your test! Clapping
____________________
Current: Ducati Multistrada 1200s
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

butterob
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

watch out for carole nash... they have sneaky ways with their policies... when i wanted to cancel my insurance with them after 4 months for 200 pound insurance they were only offering me 30 quid back and after 8 months it goes down to just a 10er back! what made it worse is they wouldnt even transfer my exisitng insurance onto a bigger bike! Middle Finger
____________________
j1 zx6r in green
g2 zx6r trackbike Trackdays done: Mallory park, Brands Hatch Indy, Snetterton 300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:43 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That isn't just Carol Nash - that's industry wide and is basically down to the terms of the underwriters.

I'm just guessing but you were going from a 125?
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

butterob
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:13 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:
That isn't just Carol Nash - that's industry wide and is basically down to the terms of the underwriters.

I'm just guessing but you were going from a 125?


yep going from a 125 to a 600 they wouldnt do it...they would if i started up a new policy though...money grabbing bastards, its how they make there money! Mad

tbh i have got cheaper quotes elsewhere so they've lost another customer anyway
____________________
j1 zx6r in green
g2 zx6r trackbike Trackdays done: Mallory park, Brands Hatch Indy, Snetterton 300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

matthab
Crazy Courier



Joined: 04 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:00 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may be on L's still but 2 years NCB saved me £200 on my current insurers. NCB is well worth it. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
2005 - 2006:Peugeot jet force 50 TDSI (sold)
2006 - Present: Yamaha YBR125 06 (extras:pilot sporty tyres and screen)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

calum17
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 25 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:16 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont want to be like evryone else.
so yes, go with the no claims option - but look at it this way.
£125 for 5 months
or £360 for 12 months - 5 months is then £150. so just chaning with your current insurer is the better option as you get your no claims AND it works out cheaper by £25 for the 5 months - therfore over £50 for the year.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 29 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

butterob wrote:
Kal wrote:
That isn't just Carol Nash - that's industry wide and is basically down to the terms of the underwriters.

I'm just guessing but you were going from a 125?


yep going from a 125 to a 600 they wouldnt do it...they would if i started up a new policy though...money grabbing bastards, its how they make there money! Mad

tbh i have got cheaper quotes elsewhere so they've lost another customer anyway


Right just so you know Carol Nash are Insurance Agents not Underwriters

It's the underwriters, who are nothing to do with Caol Nash, that set the conditions on a policy

The underwriters in this case ONLY insure bikes of 125cc or less so when you changed Bike the Insurance Agent weren't able to change the details.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

butterob
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:13 - 30 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Right just so you know Carol Nash are Insurance Agents not Underwriters

It's the underwriters, who are nothing to do with Caol Nash, that set the conditions on a policy

The underwriters in this case ONLY insure bikes of 125cc or less so when you changed Bike the Insurance Agent weren't able to change the details.


yep i know carole nash are only the brokers... N.I.G. are the insurers but i have read the policy handbook given by carole nash and its a policy of theirs not of the insurers which is why i was really annoyed... im pretty sure N.I.G. are a major insurer and have done previous insurance on other bikes that i happily got upgraded to without the hassle
____________________
j1 zx6r in green
g2 zx6r trackbike Trackdays done: Mallory park, Brands Hatch Indy, Snetterton 300
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:08 - 30 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the same thing from Bennetts when I upgraded from 125cc.

If memory serves to get a competitive quote they had gone to NIG.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dwayne_101
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:29 - 30 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh pay the extra and get your no claims in. Smile

will make your insurance cheaper in the long run.
____________________
looking at getting a full uk licence, after 3 cbt's bored of doing them
selling a burgman 125 03 plate soon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jackyboy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 24 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 30 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're with NIG? Don't crash, and change company next year.

The sliding scale of cancellation charges isn't us being bastards for the sake of it.

You pay £200. It costs us:

£60 (approx) brokerage (goes to the broker)
£10 to pay someone to put the details on the system and draw up the documents.
That fancy sleeve the documents come in doesnt cost nothing so cost of documents £10.

So, £80 quid to set your policy up. You cancel after 6 months, we're 40 quid out of pocket. You entered into an annual contract, so you cover our losses.

I think thats fair play...
____________________
Insurance Beehatch Supremo- Direct any grumbles about repudiated claims my way
Yamaha SR125 - Scrapped 13/06/2006. Hyosung GT125R - Totalled 18/11/2006.
Honda VFR400R NC30 - Totalled 09/02/2007. CBR600F - currently in 1 piece...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 30 Jan 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jackyboy wrote:
You're with NIG? Don't crash, and change company next year.

The sliding scale of cancellation charges isn't us being bastards for the sake of it.

You pay £200. It costs us:

£60 (approx) brokerage (goes to the broker)
£10 to pay someone to put the details on the system and draw up the documents.
That fancy sleeve the documents come in doesnt cost nothing so cost of documents £10.

So, £80 quid to set your policy up. You cancel after 6 months, we're 40 quid out of pocket. You entered into an annual contract, so you cover our losses.

I think thats fair play...


Eh?

If we pay a lump sum of £200, and it costs you £80 to set up the policay, after six months, you have still laid out £80, no more.

If we are paying monthly with, say, a 10% premium, we are paying about £18.30 a month, after six months you've had £110, so where are the losses? I agree that earlier in a 12 month policy you would have to recoup losses but not after 6 months. Even if there is an admin fee to cancel, we should still be seeing £50 clear back on a lump sum payment.

Monthly, I understand there being a small charge to cancel the policy but only if there is an admin charge for the insurance company.

Incidentally, as you work in insurance, can you explain why any claim I make on a bike has to be declared on my car insurance but I can't use my ten years no-claims on a bike for my car policy? Just curious Mr. Green

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Willenium
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:38 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when have you had a Cat?! Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thefallenange...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:28 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

keep the CB if your Cat is in pieces for as long as you can so it'll save you money on the change up.
____________________
Past - CG125 ,KR1S, SV650s, Street Triple R - Current - Duke 390

[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:49 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Willenium wrote:
Since when have you had a Cat?! Shocked


Bought it about 2 months ago, got it on the road this weekend.

Been annoying so far, lol!

Took it apart as the fairings were crap, and yellow and silver. Rubbed it all down and took it to my dads mate who is a sprayer by trade.

He did the worst job I have ever seen and havn't paid him, I think he didn't have a chance to do them in time, and then realised he promised to do them for me before the end of the month and just whacked on he paint and laquer.

So, theres aload of runs, some areas not covered up, and it's really bumpy with bits of dirt in it.

But, I decided to put it all back together so I could get out riding it, and, it just didn't want to go back together, the bloke before me must have prayed alot to hold it all together, spent 8 hours putting it back together!

BUT, finally get it all nice and back together, go out for the weekend, take the g/f for a spin, all is good.

Then, the gears started messing up, so, the bikes quite dodgy to ride atm, as sometimes you can't shift up.

So, looks like it's got to come back apart.

If I do take it apart, I'm going to re-spray it myself, and then I'[ll be happy with the fairings, then hopefully can sort out the gears!

But other than that, geat bike! Laughing

Lesson learned - spend a bit more when buying, don't always go for the cheapest!

When I've got it sorted we shall have to go out for a ride again sometime, you won't have to be holding back for me to keep up so much!
____________________
Currently Riding - 2002 Aprilia RSV1000 Mille
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Willenium
Nova Slayer



Joined: 01 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:33 - 06 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

AngelGrinder wrote:
Willenium wrote:
Since when have you had a Cat?! Shocked


Bought it about 2 months ago, got it on the road this weekend.

Been annoying so far, lol!

Took it apart as the fairings were crap, and yellow and silver. Rubbed it all down and took it to my dads mate who is a sprayer by trade.

He did the worst job I have ever seen and havn't paid him, I think he didn't have a chance to do them in time, and then realised he promised to do them for me before the end of the month and just whacked on he paint and laquer.

So, theres aload of runs, some areas not covered up, and it's really bumpy with bits of dirt in it.

But, I decided to put it all back together so I could get out riding it, and, it just didn't want to go back together, the bloke before me must have prayed alot to hold it all together, spent 8 hours putting it back together!

BUT, finally get it all nice and back together, go out for the weekend, take the g/f for a spin, all is good.

Then, the gears started messing up, so, the bikes quite dodgy to ride atm, as sometimes you can't shift up.

So, looks like it's got to come back apart.

If I do take it apart, I'm going to re-spray it myself, and then I'[ll be happy with the fairings, then hopefully can sort out the gears!

But other than that, geat bike! Laughing

Lesson learned - spend a bit more when buying, don't always go for the cheapest!

When I've got it sorted we shall have to go out for a ride again sometime, you won't have to be holding back for me to keep up so much!


You're not a million miles away so if you need a hand at all drop us a text. I find that mine sometimes refuses to shift up to 2nd from 1st, especially if I've accelerated hard from a standing start.

It'll be nice to go out for another ride although I don't think it was me holding back as much as you were. Next time it'll be a day ride because the 507 was so dark at night (Couldn't see anything whatsoever).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 245 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.53 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.77 Kb