Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Rant Mode - Doble Honda

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Rant Mode - Doble Honda Reply with quote

I had them replace my fork seals 7 months ago at a cost of £175.

Now one of them is leaking and guess what they said "Honda guarantee's last 6 months and if we were to file a claim against it, it would be rejected".

I have a tiny, and I mean tiny, amount of pitting on there, barely visible, and they are saying that is a factor although they admit the seals should last longer.

I am taking the bike to be inspected at Doble's on the 29th, but they cannot do any servicing that day as "if new forks are needed, they will have to be ordered" Evil or Very Mad Like I am going to shell out for new forks.

Am I right in thinking that at the time the forks were stripped down by Dobles, any competent mechanic / service monkey should note the condition of the forks and advise the customer that the seals may not last due to this? They told me nothing at the time and this is the real cause of my anger. Am I right to expect such feedback from them about the condition of the forks and the impact this may have on the work carried out?
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kwaks
I'm not a fast rider



Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:41 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I would be contacting Honda to confirm this, a quick google shows most Honda dealers offering 12 months Confused
____________________
Fallen Angel "Nae sniffing my seat now!!!!! "
www.cliqueycuntsmcc.co.uk
I AM NOT A FAST RIDER!!!!!!!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Doble website doesn't say, nor does the Honda UK website.

I have mailed Honda UK for their comments. Thumbs Up
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:35 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitting will be a factor in that they shred the seals, you might also have wanted the bushes done, a few years back I changed me fork seals and they would burst after 3-4 months , changed the bushes which slide against them and they have so far been ok.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea what the bike is but £175 for fork seals is horrendous! Just a guess but did they only change the seals or do the bushes at the same time?

I pay, on average, £15 for a set of oem seals. 1 hour to 1.5 hours to change.

When I completely rebuilt my forks, including grinding and chroming, I spent about £180.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer



Joined: 07 Apr 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:44 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

£180 is pretty high , but watcha expect from a manufacturer branded dealer, Pete will do fork seals for £90 if the forks are still attached to the bike + parts (which he is OK if you buy them separate its not as if he sells them to you at a premium anyway),

or he'll do it for £60 on loose forks, which is well worth it cus he gives you a ton of abuse when you get him to take other parts off to fix other things.
____________________
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ichy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would of thought £60-£70 would of been average, even fitted to the bike. Shows how much I know! Always do my own, only me to blame when it goes wrong then.

How much do dealers charge hourly for labour then?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McJamweasel
BCF Junkie



Joined: 22 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:53 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ichy wrote:
I would of thought £60-£70 would of been average, even fitted to the bike. Shows how much I know! Always do my own, only me to blame when it goes wrong then.

How much do dealers charge hourly for labour then?


It varies from about £25 right up to around £90-odd.
____________________
BCF: Be yourself, just don't be an arse.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 05 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushes were replaced at the same time along with new oil, obviously.

Parts were a snatch over £50, I think labour was 2 hours at £45 p.h. Then loaded with vat on top.

I think that was the figures, the receipt is at work so will check tomorrow.

The whole reason I went to them and paid a premium price was that I wanted a good job done that would last? Thinking
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

katanastwin
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 12 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 06 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobles cant be responsible for a seal that 7mths down the line starts leaking due to a stone chip in the fork leg (usually causes pitting) that you picked up afterwards?.

TBH this is very common this time of year due to excess road dirt. All it takes is one stone flicking up and hitting the fork leg to cause a "pit" mark. It will then tear the seal egde.

If they had done a bad job the seal would not have lasted 2 weeks let alone 7mths!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ben.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 06 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

doble are a rip off, go to heartgate in mitcham, its worth the 15 min ride, top blokes, managed to get a brand new carb for my cbr125 on warranty even though i fucked it up, they had the bike for a week and charged me 60 quid, got it all done on warranty.
____________________
follow my racing season
Race bike - R6
Road bike - sv650
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 06 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to sort the pitting one way or another if you want the seals to last. If really small you might get away with polishing them out or possibly liquid metal - although

Once you have done can I suggest forkgaiters? Not the sexiest bit of kit I know but it's got to be cheaper than replacing forkseals constantly

To be honest I understand why you are pissed, I would be too, but at the same time you should have been paying attention to your fork legs too...
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:58 - 06 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dobles cant be responsible for a seal that 7mths down the line starts leaking due to a stone chip in the fork leg (usually causes pitting) that you picked up afterwards?.

TBH this is very common this time of year due to excess road dirt. All it takes is one stone flicking up and hitting the fork leg to cause a "pit" mark. It will then tear the seal egde.

If they had done a bad job the seal would not have lasted 2 weeks let alone 7mths!"


Interesting angle. Unfortunately I had an advisory on my MOT, carried out by Dobles' a week later, warning of pitting on fork stems. So that discounts your theory completely, thus proving the pitting was present at that time. Thumbs Up
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 06 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying Kal, but one of the reasons I take my car and bike to main dealers is so that the service is there and advice is given.

I am of the opinion that these dealers should treat everyone as not having any clue about the vehicles concerned and thus warn them about anything that may impact the work they carry out.

If they carry out work and they note that an outside factor will in all probability cause the work they have done to fail prematurely, then I think they have a duty to inform the customer of that. Even if it is to say "look if we do this and the pitting causes the seal to fail then we will not cover the guarantee".
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wave2k
G's Stalker



Joined: 06 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 06 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are utter cowboys, i got my CBR600RR from there and it had no oil in it, yes NO OIL.
also had a pretty bald illegal real tyre, they also said they would fit a can as part of the deal, i waited 3 weeks for it to arrive for them to fit the can UPSIDE DOWN.
____________________
Ducati 1299 Panigale
2009 Corvette C6 z51
RS125->CBR400->RXS100->GSXR750K2->Ducati749S->CBR600RR5->TL1000R->DRz400->RSVR1000->Honda VTR SP1->CBR400->GSXR1000K6->Honda H100->CBR600RR3->Ducati1299
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:46 - 06 Feb 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right that's it.

Doble will not get another penny from me again.

That is fvcked up, Wave.
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 239 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.20 Sec - Server Load: 1.39 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 93.37 Kb