Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Haggling with a dealer rather than an individual

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Haggling with a dealer rather than an individual Reply with quote

Right, today I'll be making an offer on a KLR 250.

It's up for £800, but I've never bought a bike from a dealer, so I'm not sure which buttons to push or how far I can push it.

The guy isn't necessarily a dealer, he's a breaker, but does have around 25 bikes for sale.

The KLR will have a fresh MOT, which is his major haggling point, it's got 14k miles on it, and the engine sounds good. Starts fine from cold.

Bad points, it's generally tatty, he had to weld up a hole in the (fairly rusty) exhaust to pass the MOT. Chain and sprockets are knackered, left fork seal's gone, gaitors could do with replacing. and it needs a general paint.

If I can get it for £650 I'll be happy. I'd say he'll easily accept £700, because I can throw in that C&S is £80, and it needs a clutch lever etc.

Bare in mind I also need the guy to deliver it, so I don't wanna take the piss tooo badly.

Which points should I be picking apart in order for him to drop the price enough? If I list the things wrong with it, and try and subtract that from the asking, it'll only put the price at about £675.

But obviously I don't want to start with that offer. If I offer £500, there's no grounds for me offering that low, considering the bike is as good mechanically as it is.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:07 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you have it all thought out to be honest. Thumbs Up
____________________
My mum smells your fingers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:28 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have thought the best way to approach this is to price everything. Delivery, C&S, new exhaust, price of an MOT and so on. You've already gone most of the way to that already.

If you can both settle on a price for all the 'extras' first, that gives you, as the buyer, control on how much the actual bike is worth. Try to separate the bike from the extras, both mentally and in the haggle.

Remember, an item's worth is only proved by someone actually paying that for it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:13 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing that is holding you back is wanting him to deliver it. If you can arrange something else you may be able to get more off.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:14 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with pricing everything, but he's got a good way of shooting those down. The things I want to replace, is mainly somethings I /want/ to do.

For instance, I want to give it a new exhaust, but it doesn't need one. Proved by it's brand new MOT.

It needs chain and sprockets, fine. That's £80. And a clutch lever, tenner, fine.

The choke lever's knackered but works, so again, can't really use that.

I think I can easily get £100 off. But I want £150 off.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:21 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:
I agree with pricing everything, but he's got a good way of shooting those down. The things I want to replace, is mainly somethings I /want/ to do.

For instance, I want to give it a new exhaust, but it doesn't need one. Proved by it's brand new MOT.

It needs chain and sprockets, fine. That's £80. And a clutch lever, tenner, fine.

The choke lever's knackered but works, so again, can't really use that.

I think I can easily get £100 off. But I want £150 off.

Gaz


Try for the exhaust as well as if it needed welding to get it through the MOT then it will fail for the next one. Welds rarely hold on exhausts as the weld is solid but the surrounding metal will continue to rot away.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that. I reckon he might be more willing to knock off that last £50 if I ride it away.

and good shout on the exhaust.

I think with those two things, it might just be what I need to get it for the right price.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Re: Haggling with a dealer rather than an individual Reply with quote

Gazdaman wrote:


Bad points, it's generally tatty, he had to weld up a hole in the (fairly rusty) exhaust to pass the MOT. Chain and sprockets are knackered, left fork seal's gone, gaitors could do with replacing. and it needs a general paint.



So it has a new MOT with at least one and possibly two failures?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Eddie Hitler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:54 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch.. Twisted Evil
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask yourself if its worth it mate, If it is.. Then fair enough Smile
____________________
EMRA Roadstock #92 - Paperwork Permitted.
Previous: 1992 DT125R
Current: ~ 2005 ZX6R C1H
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah, yeah the MOT will definitely be suspect. The left fork seal isn't gone badly, and it's got gaiters on, so it'll pass on that front.

The chain will probably adjust so it only gets a minor. But for real life it needs replacing really.

I know what it's worth, the tough bit it getting the guy to agree that it's worth the same amount.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:32 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:
Remember, an item's worth is only proved by someone actually paying that for it.
Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went there, did my best. Opened with £500, he told me to piss off. Told him to play the game, and he said he'd take £700. I said £650, and he said ok, but he wouldn't put an MOT on.

That's where we disagreed.

No sale today.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 14 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think the most important lesson to learn here is set yourself a limit and don't be afraid to walk away.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Harold_Shand
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:33 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have to make a few quid. And for the sake of £50 sounds like you lost a suitable bike.
____________________
BCF's 6th favourite poster 2009-2010

Harold_Shand's theory might be the best explanation.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fredsredhat
Traffic Copper



Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:43 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you leave your number with him? give him a few days to stew and he'll ring you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't the money that was the issue, I was banking on having the MOT. If I put it through an MOT and it failed needing work, it would cost me extra, on a bike that needs money spending already.

He wanted £800 to give it an MOT, and it just wasn't worth that. If you saw the bike you'd understand, just generally knackered.

But eBay came to the rescue.

1994 KLR 250 full MOT and tax, brand new exhaust, good tyres and C&S. £875. Much much better condition overall too. And comes with mirrors and indicators.

https://i23.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/e0/8c/099e_12.JPG

Chuffed.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and this was the first one.

https://www.bikehutbristol.co.uk/vehpics/BIG_930-12048274571.jpg

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one you have is much better condition by the looks of it. Thumbs Up
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did well to walk away from the first one. What a dog.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:44 - 15 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would have been ok for the right money.

I think for £650, with full MOT it would have been alright but the one I've bought is better.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:31 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at all the paint worn off the engine in front of the kickstart. Seems to me like someone's had a lot of trouble starting it.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Billd
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:30 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal Gaz. The eBay one likes a good buy Thumbs Up
____________________
Remember. wherever you go, there you are!!
FVMCC
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
I was looking at all the paint worn off the engine in front of the kickstart. Seems to me like someone's had a lot of trouble starting it.


That's not from starting usually its from taking it off road allot. My KLR600 had the same and I rarely used the kickstart as it had lecy start but I did go off road with it all the time.
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 16 Mar 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The good point of the first KLR is that it started fine from cold, and ran well. Only 14k miles aswell.

Picking up the bike in a couple of hours. Just got insurance, £320 for the year. Not bad for a 21 year old in Bristol, with an off-road style bike, kept outside, with 1 fault claim and 3 points.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 205 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 129.52 Kb