Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Question for all riders about helmets!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

help_with_a_helmet
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 10 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Question for all riders about helmets!! Reply with quote

In your opinion... Arrow


Has the use of new materials and changes in safety standards in motorcycle helmets helped to create a safer helmet and are the more expensive models good value for money? Question Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Re: Question for all riders about helmets!! Reply with quote

help_with_a_helmet wrote:
In your opinion... Arrow


Has the use of new materials and changes in safety standards in motorcycle helmets helped to create a safer helmet and are the more expensive models good value for money? Question Thumbs Up


Thanks for that piece of spam.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon?
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudskipper wrote:
Pardon?



He said, "THANKS FOR THAT PIECE OF SPAM!"
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My oppinion?

As far as I'm concerned, helmets make little or no difference to the chances of surviving a crash and in some cases actually make things worse.

This is regardless of how modern the materials are or how expensive it was.

They keep the worst of the rain off at this time of year though.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DidierD
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:34 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way opinion is written there makes me think of an onion pi

mmmm pie

Mr. Green
____________________
Bike - '98 Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat Pics

31st March 2008 - Fully converted from four wheels to 2 sets of two wheels Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

B_A_B
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 03 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:38 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
My oppinion?

As far as I'm concerned, helmets make little or no difference to the chances of surviving a crash and in some cases actually make things worse.


That`s a fairly whacko thing to say mate....explain??

I agree that if you have a bad crash the lid wont really help (but only coz you`ll probably break your neck,your back,and suffer internal bleeding etc in the process)......but in a milder crash where your body survives the helmet`s the only thing stopping your head cracking open when it takes a hit on hard tarmac.....so they make a hell of a difference.

To the OP...I dunno if the cheap lids are better than the expensive ones and i can`t honestly say if the new tech is better.....but i always place my trust in an arai and i`ll never buy a discount price helmet.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That`s a fairly whacko thing to say mate....explain??


Well. In an apparent vacuum of actual evidence either way, what I said is as likely to be right as any other statement and is therefore by Murphy's law of engineering, the correct assumption to make.

By evidence, I mean good statistical evidence proving that helmet wearers are less likely to have an accident resulting in serious injury/death per unit mile ridden than non helmet wearers. Impact test results are largely irrelevant as they are a test of the material not the concept.

I have seen one, retrospective study that shows helmet wearewrs are more likely to sufer a spinal injury than non helmet wearers.

Two tupperware bowls, one inside the other, would pass the helmet impact tests but I wouldn't suggest wearing them on your head.

In short, there is no apparent evidence either way. Helmets were made mandatory for no better reasoning than it seemed like a good idea.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

B_A_B wrote:
To the OP...I dunno if the cheap lids are better than the expensive ones and i can`t honestly say if the new tech is better.....but i always place my trust in an arai and i`ll never buy a discount price helmet.


Don't answer him, you'll only encourage him. Its usually better for students to do their own research... Wink
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nufkamp
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:53 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Re: Question for all riders about helmets!! Reply with quote

help_with_a_helmet wrote:
In your opinion... Arrow


Has the use of new materials and changes in safety standards in motorcycle helmets helped to create a safer helmet and are the more expensive models good value for money? Question Thumbs Up


Speak up, I'm on the train!
____________________
As seen on Google Street View https://tinyurl.com/yfdvojc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:30 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Quote:
That`s a fairly whacko thing to say mate....explain??


Well. In an apparent vacuum of actual evidence either way, what I said is as likely to be right as any other statement and is therefore by Murphy's law of engineering, the correct assumption to make.

By evidence, I mean good statistical evidence proving that helmet wearers are less likely to have an accident resulting in serious injury/death per unit mile ridden than non helmet wearers. Impact test results are largely irrelevant as they are a test of the material not the concept.

I have seen one, retrospective study that shows helmet wearewrs are more likely to sufer a spinal injury than non helmet wearers.

Two tupperware bowls, one inside the other, would pass the helmet impact tests but I wouldn't suggest wearing them on your head.

In short, there is no apparent evidence either way. Helmets were made mandatory for no better reasoning than it seemed like a good idea.


If I'm going to go skidding down the road on my ass, at any speed, and meet the kerb with my head, or a pole or whatever, my chances of not having my skull smashed open are massively greater if I'm wearing a helmet. And that's plain common-sense, fvck the stats.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dreaming
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 29 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:02 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read not long ago that they were making helmets slightly less resistant to high shocks because if you have a crash at 70mph and hit the central reservation even if your head survives the rest of you wont. Instead, they made it a bit 'softer' (sorry, this is from memory) so that if you have a crash at 30mph you will only get mild concussion instead of heavy concussion. So it's more effective where it will help, but less effective at the extremes because they assume you'll be dead anyway.

I've not really ridden long enough to know exactly, but my helmet is pretty good. Muffles sound nicely, keeps my head warm (not my neck though Sad), doesn't fog up, weighs less than my gloves, good range of vision - only thing I'd change is the pinlock insert, as the one I have I don't think is tinted and in sunny weather I end up having to look at the ground because it's so bright.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stiffler
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I don't get with your argument Stinkwheel is the total disregard for road rash. Lets forget the ability of a lid to prevent brain damage, or create cabbages that should have died, or any of the many other negative comments argued about helmets.

I don't know you and I don't know what gear you do or don't wear when you ride, but personally if anything ever goes wrong I like to do everything in my power to hold onto my skin.

My kit includes a sturdy jacket, decent pants, some boots, gloves.... and a lid. Three people I know recently have had a offs and all three had grazes on their lid, and visors ripped off. Now obviously nobody can accurately say what would have happened to their heads otherwise, but the scientist in me thinks a reasonable prediction would be they'd have been left with some level of grazing to the skin. One of those 3 people to have an off was me and the damage to my lid was all on the front (visor and forehead area). I'm a ugly bugger already I don't need some road rash scaring to exacerbate matters!
____________________
Current Bikes - Kawasaki ZX-6R (636) | BMW G650GS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

mistergixer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:57 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last crash i had, i vividly remember the noise my helmet made as I slid along the ground. The helmet got really badly scuffed up as i slid, and it whacked on the ground pretty hard as i landed.
I wouldn't like to think what would have happened had i not been wearing it at the time.

Sick
____________________
Space Monkey #7
Don Eladio is dead. His capos are dead. You have no one left to fight for. Fill your pockets and leave in peace. Or fight me and die!
Mistergixer's videos on YouTube
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Dreaming
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 29 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:22 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistergixer wrote:
In the last crash i had, i vividly remember the noise my helmet made as I slid along the ground. The helmet got really badly scuffed up as i slid, and it whacked on the ground pretty hard as i landed.
I wouldn't like to think what would have happened had i not been wearing it at the time.

Sick


I agree with that, I went all of 3 metres along the ground (was going about 20 mph) and the grinding noise is very loud! I didn't hear a thing but I have no doubt if I wasn't wearing the helmet I'd have been knocked out. Might have been fine but also could have been hit by a car that was a bit too keen to get round the roundabout without looking.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

tutton
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now try the taste of spam in the original fritter
https://www.spam-uk.com/images/fritterpic.jpg
____________________
Past: '05 Peugeot XPS '99 Aprillia RS125 '94 FZR600R
Current: '02 ZX636 A1P '51 CCM R30
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:22 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or you might not have come off in the first place had you been going more slowly and been able to see more because you didn't have the false sense of security and restricted field of vision that comes with wearing a helmet?
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ariel Badger
Super Spammer



Joined: 02 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:35 - 10 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was going at 20mph, that is as slow as you can go. Hat saved me from damage 8 weeks back 45mph slide and my brain still functions.
____________________
Bikers make great organ donors, get 115 on your licence today.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:33 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, these anecdotes are all very nice but consider. Your head is the one part of your body that you reflexively protect over and above any other part of your body.

Break/severely injure anything else? Then why would you have injured your head?

I've come off a bike at 70mph, slid on my back and scraped my helmet along the road as I did so. I'm of the oppinion that had I not been wearing it, my head wouldn't have touched the road at all.

This is not evidence either but it's equally valid.

Anyway, we are getting away from the subject in that it is still safer to assume it isn't going to work at all. Not wearing one isn't an option in most of the UK so please work on the principle that your helmet is going to afford you no significant protection in the case of an accident.

In fact, assume it will make any injuries worse.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

pyx_e
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:34 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe even a slight improvement.
____________________
Shiney!
Kawasaki: ER5, Versys, VN900.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:39 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feef will be along in a bit with the link to that study about expensive vs. cheap helmets. I can't remember the link.

EDIT

Found it

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/motorcycle_helmet_review/index.html
____________________
My Flickr


Last edited by Wafer_Thin_Ham on 08:40 - 11 Apr 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:40 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this is valid:

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/somerset/5334208.stm
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tristan.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:43 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two 'crash' crashes, as in not just gone into runoff and binned it ones, the first one I came off at 80 and buried the top of my head in some kind of mound, the second I violently/awesomely faceplanted into the pavement, no doubt at all that without a headslider I would of been dead both those times. However I was definatly riding 'enthusiastically' (outside of my limits more realistically) both times, which I wouldnt be if I wasn't wearing a lid and if I had the option, I would definatly go helmetless every now and again, I would simply adjust my riding style to suit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DidierD
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 16 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:53 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tristan the wrote:
...I would definatly go helmetless every now and again, I would simply adjust my riding style to suit.


I don't think other road users would adjust THEIR style to suit though Wink
____________________
Bike - '98 Yamaha YZF600 Thundercat Pics

31st March 2008 - Fully converted from four wheels to 2 sets of two wheels Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bru
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 01 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:22 - 11 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those helmets at the last Lidls sale were interesting, in that they sported a TUV logo. I had thought that the German standard was quite stringent, until I read the small print next to the logo, which stated something like, "Free of toxins". So, your helmet is green, but not actually rated safe by any other known standard? Seemed strange, and dodgy. Did I miss something?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 181 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.82 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.36 Kb