Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Stunting bikes

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:09 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Stunting bikes Reply with quote

I am looking for my first big bike, but I would also like to get into stunting (as in 'tricks' not stunt riding for films/tv). Are some bikes better than others? As it will* be 33bhp restricted, something like a Bandit 1200 (which is apparently a wheelie machine) would be stupid, so I would be looking at a 600.

Comments/suggests appreciated Thumbs Up

*at least for a start (probably, maybe, depends on the price of restriction Very Happy )
____________________
Full licence from 16/4/08 Smile
Previously: '56 YBR125 - Current: K1 SV650S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:11 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Re: Stunting bikes Reply with quote

i think if your after a stunt bike you should maybe get a bike you will feel comfortable on also wouldn't mind dropping it. For a few ideas mate check out the show and tell section of the forums as there are some stunt bike threads in there.

Good Luck Thumbs Up
____________________
EMRA Roadstock #92 - Paperwork Permitted.
Previous: 1992 DT125R
Current: ~ 2005 ZX6R C1H
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Re: Stunting bikes Reply with quote

Shaane wrote:
i think if your after a stunt bike you should maybe get a bike you will feel comfortable on also wouldn't mind dropping it. For a few ideas mate check out the show and tell section of the forums as there are some stunt bike threads in there.

Good Luck Thumbs Up


Will do, and yeh, I won't be getting anything too nice Very Happy
____________________
Full licence from 16/4/08 Smile
Previously: '56 YBR125 - Current: K1 SV650S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaane
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:26 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Re: Stunting bikes Reply with quote

Fair enough.

Look forward to seeing the pictures/videos Smile
____________________
EMRA Roadstock #92 - Paperwork Permitted.
Previous: 1992 DT125R
Current: ~ 2005 ZX6R C1H
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 25 Apr 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd want a naked bike to start unless you don't mid ruining fairings. CB500 is a good bike to start, some just use the F4i's, I'd ask someone like Sparks! for decent advice or join a stunt forum. stuntlife.com is an ok one. A few interesting bits on there. Thumbs Up
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys Karma . Steve, wouldn't the CB500 be a bit... small? Not that I know much about bikes for stunting, hence the thread, but it doesn't seem right for some reason Very Happy .

Anyone had experience with an SV650?

More comments appreciated Smile
____________________
Full licence from 16/4/08 Smile
Previously: '56 YBR125 - Current: K1 SV650S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:34 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, because a CB500 won't see the wrong side of 110mph... Rolling Eyes God's that pisses me off.

As it happens I wouldn't suggest a CB500 as a stunt bike because it is so planted and well balanced.

Personally if I were going to get a stunt bike then I'd be getting a written off Bandit-6 changing the sprockets on it and fitting it with a set of bars for protection.

I wouldn't stunt a bike that I was relying on as my daily rider.
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Buy a bike
2) Rev to red line dump clutch
3) ?????
4) Profit



lol cb500 stunt lol
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:22 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:

Personally if I were going to get a stunt bike then I'd be getting a written off Bandit-6 changing the sprockets on it and fitting it with a set of bars for protection.


Bandits have awful balance points and don't make good stunt bikes.
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TUG
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Kal wrote:

Personally if I were going to get a stunt bike then I'd be getting a written off Bandit-6 changing the sprockets on it and fitting it with a set of bars for protection.


Bandits have awful balance points and don't make good stunt bikes.

Do speed tripples? Cos they're stunted.
____________________
Haz ER-5, innit!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

a DRZ400? they put out 33bhp, top out at about 90, but they power wheelie so easily, no real need to clutch it.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

XlonewolfX wrote:

Do speed tripples? Cos they're stunted.


I know of 2 being stunted.

Its personal preference. But I doubt a tripple would make a good beginners stunt bike.
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:37 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
a DRZ400? they put out 33bhp, top out at about 90, but they power wheelie so easily, no real need to clutch it.


the drz puts out more than 33bhp as standard. you'd need a restriction kit for it
____________________
Bandit 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

yankeedoodle
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:39 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
a DRZ400? they put out 33bhp, top out at about 90, but they power wheelie so easily, no real need to clutch it.


the drz puts out more than 33bhp as standard. you'd need a restriction kit for it
____________________
Bandit 600
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:01 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
a DRZ400? they put out 33bhp, top out at about 90, but they power wheelie so easily, no real need to clutch it.


Good idea, but I just had a look at them and doubt I would even be able tip toe (935mm seat height) Sad
____________________
Full licence from 16/4/08 Smile
Previously: '56 YBR125 - Current: K1 SV650S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleJoe wrote:
mattsprattuk wrote:
a DRZ400? they put out 33bhp, top out at about 90, but they power wheelie so easily, no real need to clutch it.


Good idea, but I just had a look at them and doubt I would even be able tip toe (935mm seat height) Sad


the suspension is VERY spongey on off roaders/SM's
chances are it will sink by about 50-100mm when you sit on it.
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kal
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:09 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Bandits have awful balance points and don't make good stunt bikes.


They're inherently unstable and claw for the sky which is why I'd go for one.

What do you look for in a stunt bike?
____________________
Kal...
I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It I Like To Hoon It Hoon It Ya Like To (HOON IT!).

1984 GB250 Clubman,1983 CB250N Superdream, 1999 GPZ500S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:12 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:
the suspension is VERY spongey on off roaders/SM's
chances are it will sink by about 50-100mm when you sit on it.


Yeh good point, I guess I'll have to sit on one sometime
____________________
Full licence from 16/4/08 Smile
Previously: '56 YBR125 - Current: K1 SV650S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:24 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankeedoodle wrote:

the drz puts out more than 33bhp as standard. you'd need a restriction kit for it

Doubt the SM or S versions do - the E should put out a bit more than that, but not much.

If you're going to stick with 33hp, then I'd look at a trail style bike.

Something like a CB500 would be a bad choice to my mind - I wonder if st3v3 has ever ridden one? Sure, you see Brazalian couriers doing really good stuff on them; but for starting out they are slow and under-powered.

The SV650 is a bit 'easier', but apparently may have trouble with longer wheelies as stock (ie mile+); should be fine for starting out, though.

Personally, I'd go for a slighty-battered late 90s/early 00s 600cc sports bike. Firestorm is worth considering too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
yankeedoodle wrote:

the drz puts out more than 33bhp as standard. you'd need a restriction kit for it

Doubt the SM or S versions do - the E should put out a bit more than that, but not much.

If you're going to stick with 33hp, then I'd look at a trail style bike.

Something like a CB500 would be a bad choice to my mind - I wonder if st3v3 has ever ridden one? Sure, you see Brazalian couriers doing really good stuff on them; but for starting out they are slow and under-powered.

The SV650 is a bit 'easier', but apparently may have trouble with longer wheelies as stock (ie mile+); should be fine for starting out, though.

Personally, I'd go for a slighty-battered late 90s/early 00s 600cc sports bike. Firestorm is worth considering too.


Well I don't think I'll be doing mile+ wheelies for a while Very Happy so the Sv650 is still one of the posibilities. The trouble with getting a sports bike is my age; I'm 17 so get raped by insurance (I think a 1996 CBR600F quote I recently did was £1200 TPO Rolling Eyes ), otherwise it's exactly what I'd get.

The SV is looking more and more likely...
____________________
Full licence from 16/4/08 Smile
Previously: '56 YBR125 - Current: K1 SV650S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

McGee
O RLY?



Joined: 24 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:48 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kal wrote:

What do you look for in a stunt bike?


Are we talking serious stunting or crappy little quick wheelies.

I would go for an f4i or a 636 for a real stunt bike.

Blandit would be fine for popping little wheelies off the lights.
____________________
◙◙► K6 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 1000 ◄◙◙◙◙► K5 GSXR 600 ◄◙◙◙◙► 96 RF600r ◄◙◙
◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►◄◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙►
Its pronounced Jixxer!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:50 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry but I would say CB500 ALL the way. They are the perfect learner stunt bike, forget what anyone else here says I know first hand. I've stunt ridden one and I've seen the people who learnt to stunt on them.

It will require technique yes but that is the way you will get good. But you will smash it up and it takes a lot of looking after, people rarely keep a road bike legal whilst stunt riding!! So you really have to make up your mind if you want to stunt more than ride out... if you get bigger gearing it makes it real hard to ride distance... and 12 bars, cages and tatty looking bikes often draw the wrong attention............

Don't let it put you off, just be aware so you know what you're up against.

I would seriously reccomend a CB500 for learning to stunt in a cheaper way. If you have more money then buy a CBR600 F4 or preferably an F Sport as they are great stunt bikes and bullet proof.

If you want to actually stunt, then forget a supermoto... they are fun but its not "really" stunting compared to a sports bike. Again, I speak from experience as I started on a supermoto.

Forget the SV650S they won't last 2 minutes before you need a new engine. Bandits are heavy but otherwise good. Can't really beat the CB500 though! or a Hornet 600 if you can stretch the budget a little more.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:53 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also forget the firestorm, awesome bikes (just buying one melself) but suck for stunt riding on.

The SV won't last two minutes.. I broke one doing wheelies, my mates blew at least 1 engine with his and I know someone else who blew up a SV after about 15 mins of slow wheelies!

Forget a 636 too, awesome stunt bikes but fragile for learning on.
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:59 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGee wrote:
Kal wrote:

What do you look for in a stunt bike?


Are we talking serious stunting or crappy little quick wheelies.

I would go for an f4i or a 636 for a real stunt bike.

Blandit would be fine for popping little wheelies off the lights.


Was looking at those 2 on stuntlife.com, but the f4i isn't a UK bike is it? Plus insurance would be pretty harsh.
____________________
Full licence from 16/4/08 Smile
Previously: '56 YBR125 - Current: K1 SV650S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot



Joined: 30 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

AppleJoe wrote:
Was looking at those 2 on stuntlife.com, but the f4i isn't a UK bike is it? Plus insurance would be pretty harsh.


F4i is the F Sport.

It all comes down to whether you actually want to stunt ride or you want to have something that looks cool and talk the talk....
____________________
Current Toys: 06 Yamaha WR250F | Nissan 350Z GT | Tech 4 Homes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.53 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 142.78 Kb