Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Can anyone reccommend a good breakdown company?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

andrea
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Can anyone reccommend a good breakdown company? Reply with quote

It would be for two vehicles - car and bike to cover me and OH. Not bothered about European cover but cover at home and nationwide would be good.

Thanks Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Stevep
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RAC covers the person not the bike or the car so you could break down on the bike one day and in the car the next and they would recover you to wherever you wanted to go
____________________
Harleys run Forever
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

andrea
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:37 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah have looked at RAC but they want £130 for joint cover... seems a bit much really Confused

I've had a look at the moneysupermarket site, cheapest quote I got there with everything I wanted was £60 with First Call but I've never heard of them and not sure if theyre any good
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kawakid
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:01 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stevep wrote:
The RAC covers the person not the bike or the car so you could break down on the bike one day and in the car the next and they would recover you to wherever you wanted to go


As long as you don't drop the bike.

They told me where to go when I overbalanced doing a U-turn. (Engine casing broke).

Luckily I was also in the AA (long story) , who came.

Won't touch the RAC now, I view them as scum.

AA is okay as it comes out as a direct debit.
____________________
I've a twin and a 4.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:02 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

AA and RAC depend on the policy, however I wouldn't take either by choice.
I have the RAC through lazyness - signed up to the 'premium' bank thingy which gave you top-level greenflag cover ages ago. They changed that to RAC Sad.

Had to use them yesterday.
Me - Can you send something that can recover a bike
Operator - No, we will send a patrol to assess the situation.
Me - The engine is making noises that mean I will have to be recovered.
Operator - Our policy is to send a patrol in case we can get you going.
Me - Well, you can't get me going; can I talk to the person who makes the decision?
Operator - I have noted it on your file, they will consider it.

Patrol turns up a while later- Start your engine so I can have a listen.
Me - *Starts engine*
Patrol - yep, you'll need recovery, I'll get that arranged for you.

So they wasted my time and theirs. If they'd just let me talk to someone competent, I could have explained the situation and they could have made it a lot less painless.

As it was, I was waiting for over three hours at a lone petrol station on the A340. Luckily they randomly had a very reasonably priced second hand books bit, so had something to occupy my time.

In hindsight, what I should have done was hitched home and got my van to collect the bike myself. Would have saved a lot of time and got the other things I wanted to do that day done.

Do look over all the details of any policy you consider - personally I'd say go for 'personal' cover and make sure they recover after an accident. Always make sure they send a flat-bed.
Used to recommend internationbreakdown, but they no longer do good policies. Always recovery to your home address - some cheaper ones will recover to closest garage only.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:08 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at your vehicle insurance, sometimes you can get good deals by tagging it onto your vehicle insurances.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Britannia Rescue, they give discounts for union membership and the like.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

G wrote:
Operator - Our policy is to send a patrol in case we can get you going.
In fairness most breakdown companies have a policy of sending a technician out first to try to get things going before they will authorise recovery. A lot of people don't actually have much of a clue what is wrong with their vehicle when they break down and often they self diagnose something completely different than what is actually at fault.

I have done loads of daft recoveries over the years but just one example off the top of my head was a Merc truck that vibrating and banging as it travelled along the motorway so the driver arranged for a straight recovery rather than a technician to look at it. And all the problem actually was, was that the rubber windscreen trim had become dislodged at the top of the screen and was vibrating and drumming on the cab roof at motorway speeds. So the total cost of that little episode would have been hundreds of pounds for the tow initially, and then about 5 minutes of work by a mechanic to refix the trim.

Also you can find that some people will try it on in order to get their vehicle towed when there is nothing wrong with it. People who are pissed and are too drunk to drive are one example, and another a bit closer to home can be motorcyclists, who say may have attended a rally or something a couple of hundred miles away and its come to the time to ride home but its pissing it down with rain. So what do they do if they are feeling a little devious - make out that their is a fault to get a 'free' dry ride all the way home in a recovery truck. Trust me its happens!!!


G wrote:
Always recovery to your home address - some cheaper ones will recover to closest garage only.
Generally you do get what you pay for and you should always check to see what you are actually getting for your money. The cheap basic policies that you see, normally a bit shy of £40 are roadside assistance and recovery up to a maximum of about 30 miles.
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer



Joined: 21 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:35 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not got a bad word to say about the RAC. They recovered me all the way home Cornwall on Saturday morning after I damaged my chain all the way to East London.

They also recover for free in the event of a crash and when I say I need relay they don't bother to send a tech just a wagon.

I always give a concise run down of the problem and the steps I've taken to fix it so they can make a quick decision on how to go forward.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:14 - 04 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattEMulsion wrote:
In fairness most breakdown companies have a policy of sending a technician out first to try to get things going before they will authorise recovery. A lot of people don't actually have much of a clue what is wrong with their vehicle when they break down and often they self diagnose something completely different than what is actually at fault.

That's why I several times asked to speak directly to the person who could make the decision, rather than just have what I said noted down.

Oh and after losing my keys at a track-event and getting recovered home when totally knackered (was actually genuine) I have wondered about blagging it other times, but have never done so.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

scootabk
Nova Slayer



Joined: 17 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:17 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrea wrote:
I've had a look at the moneysupermarket site, cheapest quote I got there with everything I wanted was £60 with First Call but I've never heard of them and not sure if theyre any good


First call GB don't have a fleet, and use a network of local agents.
Do a google etc, I've heard bad reviews on them, but I've also heard plenty of bad stuff about all the other big companies

As above go though t&c's with a toothcomb
https://www.firstcallmotorbreakdown.co.uk/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hmmmnz
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:18 - 05 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

in nz i would say aa without a shadow of a doubt, but over here i made the mistake of being with them, i had full recovery, and when a chain broke, it took them 6 hours to get to me, and they only took me a few miles down the road to a hotel and refused to recover the bike to my home, the hotel was 4 miles from the nearest bike shop which wasn't open on sat afternoon or sunday, so basically they cost me a days wages and 2 nights in a hotel, and made me walk 16 miles in toal and didnt fix a thing Thumbs Down
____________________
the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

monkeynuts
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 03 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:47 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

im with green flag.... it cost me £130 for my car and bike if thats any good to you Very Happy Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.93 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 80.79 Kb