Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Oooo. Someone has found cheap insurance! + Exup opinions

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

5v3d3b0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Oooo. Someone has found cheap insurance! + Exup opinions Reply with quote

Calling around I found a company in the south of spain that will insure me on any LITRE BIKE for 1125 euros per year!
That'l what like 900 quid? Fookin nothing compared to other quotes of 3000 euros.
So basically any less cc than that will only be cheaper.
Anyway what are Fzr1000 exups like? 1992ish
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:12 - 06 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to piss on your fire, but you are quite retarded. Going from a 125 to a 1000 is a bad idea, especially with your apparent mechanical ineptitude. A nice 600 would do you, even if it is only for a year.

Another way to think about it is if you get all that power now, you are going to get bored of that soon enough (or die whichever first as your emphasis seems to be on speed) and then what?

It's why I'm just upgrading to a faster 600 now my bandit is winging its way to polish waters, not getting a 750 like I was planning to. I was bored of the bandit, but it just wasn't the same after the crash and on-the-cheap fix. I wasn't pushing it to it's limits, but I was pushing it to MY limits as a rider. Which is why I'm in the market for a fazer, hopefully getting one this weekend, slightly more power same sort of delivery and riding position, and generally again forgiving. I'm still very much a noob, and I've been riding a 600 for 6 months Wink

However if you feel you are pushing your 125 to it's limits, right on the edge, if you push it anymore the machine won't take it, go ahead and buy the biggest mofo you can find and be a straight line cockface.
Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

5v3d3b0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maxing out the rs is not really challanging. The thing about 600s is that the only ones I like are the newish ones, the old r6, and srads. But I have the feeling an srad 600 would get boring too fast as I´ve already tried a racing tuned gsx, and a ducati 916, will do again in 2 months for a week, and the srad 600 only CLAIMS like 105 bhp. (I know some people will think I´m being a fucktart for saying only)
What I'm saying is an exup won't be much faster than say a zx6r...And will be miles cheaper than any decent R6 I can get my hands on.
Fine, an srad 750 is also very appealing, but harder to come by.
What I think I should do is try a few bikes, which isn´t easy to do, and then pass judgement on the sensations, but for now I just want to know what models to consider.
Remember I am on a supertight budget. I'll be able to spend MAXIMUM 2800 quid (which isn't a lot here), but that would mean having to work to pay my dad back cause he'd have to lend me the money
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:33 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will hurt yourself.

I was riding for about 4 years before I had one, worst handling bike I've ever owned by far. You really have to fight them to get them to go around corners at any sort of speed and if you mess up your line you're pretty much stuck with it.

They're very quick in a straight line but an in experienced rider will hurt themselves. Don't have any images in your head of doing power wheelies everywhere either, they're heavier than McGee after breakfast.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:53 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
I was riding for about 4 years before I had one, worst handling bike I've ever owned by far.


I'm not sure what you've owned in the past Shaun but they dont handle too badly (No one ever passed me on mine Wink ). Remember they where the bike to have before the fireblade came and moved the goal posts.

I had one for a while and loved it (this was going from an FZR400).
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:26 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd had a lot of bikes before, mostly sports 400's and a 2001 GSXR 6, also ridden a lot of other bikes stolen/borrowed from friends.

I wasn't a slow rider (I say wasn't because I'm a lot more sedate these days) but it took a lot of effort to get the FZR round a corner, not helped by my somewhat small stature admittedly.

Either way I would never reccomend the FZR to someone coming from a 125, it's not an easy bike to ride, even more so if you're trying to get it to corner at speed, not a bike that will improve your riding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NSR Mick
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Either way I would never reccomend the FZR to someone coming from a 125, it's not an easy bike to ride, even more so if you're trying to get it to corner at speed, not a bike that will improve your riding.


That I do agree with, I'd been riding 6 years when I got mine and it took a bit of getting used to that power and then it got me banned which was probably good otherwise I think it would have got me killed..

They may be a 16 year old bike but 145BHP makes them a serious tool.

Maybe a 100+ bhp jump isnt such a good idea.
____________________
If you dont like the way that I ride.......Stop trying to keep up!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

5v3d3b0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys that was actually helpful.
What are SRAD 750s like? They make just a bit more power than moderns 600s I think
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Svedebo wrote:
Thanks guys that was actually helpful.
What are SRAD 750s like? They make just a bit more power than moderns 600s I think


Buy an older 600 or 400. Either way we'll be on the brunt of the 'My bike is now in a spanish ditch and the police are taking it away to be cubed' post.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

5v3d3b0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand why everyone assumes I'm gonna ride like a twat. Out of all my friends I am the one who rides the most responably, and the only one never to have collided with a car or other bike. They weave through traffic like it was theirs, and I only open up when I feel it's truly safe
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Svedebo wrote:
I don't understand why everyone assumes I'm gonna ride like a twat. Out of all my friends I am the one who rides the most responably, and the only one never to have collided with a car or other bike. They weave through traffic like it was theirs, and I only open up when I feel it's truly safe


The interesting thing there is that you admit you will open it up when you feel safe.

In my opinion you don't have the experience to know when is and isn't safe, therefore 'it' may feel safe when actually its very dangerous. This false sense of security is what makes the difference between a bad accident and a fatal one IMO. Karma
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:55 - 07 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

My Bimota uses an FZR1000EXUP engine. That has managed over 175mph through timing lights to give you some idea of performance.

It is a hell of a jump from a 125.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

base
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 09 Nov 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:12 - 08 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 1000 exup in its day was a rocket ship, and today its more than capable of rockin on, for sure they dont handle like modern litres they are heavy, once you commit to a line thats about it brakes arn't upto modern stuff, but for a budget biker they are a good buy imo, they all burn oil and can chew rear tyres like no tommorrow, getting the valves done can be a expensive job..................what about a 1992 blade again not upto standards of handling of a r1 but still a good tool i should know i have owned both.............currently running a 92 blade with gas its a bad boy and gives the r1 boys a surprise

oh by the way, i remember when i was riding a 125 back in the day Smile yeah i would of killed myself going from a 125 to a litre, goign from 12bhp or whatever it is these days to 100+ receipe for disaster, but thats your choice
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

APNess
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 08 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:21 - 08 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a CG125 to a Thunderace, more or less the same as the exup bit lighter.

I'd hardly call myself 'retarded'.

A 600 just wasn't 'man enough' for the job for me, weighing as I did at the time, over 21 stone in the bike gear, so I would say it all depends on the personal circumstances. You can imagine what the cg125 went like with me contorted on it. Felt like I had flat tyres all the time and that the throttle wouldn't turn far enough. Some of the shrimps I go riding with on 600s out accelerate my bike purely because they way as much as my leg, again illustrating the size/weight/personal circumstance thing.

And the throttle goes both ways, easily kill yourself on a 600 than a thou, maybe more risk as you're having to scream the thing everywhere.

Wish I could fit on a 600, but it's never going to happen, so happen enough to pootle about on my 'ace for now (which has been dropped -1 +2 and getting a 1040 overbore with flatslides as I'm fed up of getting razzed off by midgets on 600s... )

So if you take it easy at first, it's possible to go from a 125 to a thou without much bother. Only prob is now, 2 years down the line, I'm finding the ace don't accelerate hard enough for my liking Sad
____________________
97 Thunderace. Power ok, weight a bit lardy. Or is that me? Anyway, both of us together=too slow. Next stop - Gixxer Thou or Busa! Or not. Now on ZZR14 second gen Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

5v3d3b0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:51 - 08 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my only concern...Boredom
If I were to get a 98 R1 for example which has 150 bhp, if I were then to go to a zx6r it would feel slow. There are only so many bikes, and that would force me to go to a modern thou, then a busa. I'd like to have more than 3 more bikes down the line
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:56 - 08 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If you think you will get bored of the power, then you will likely get bored of any amount of power.

Sports 400 / 600 / 1000 can all easily leave pretty much any car you are likely to see on the roads for dead. None of them are slow (although with the smaller ones you need to rev the engine more to get at the power).

Bit like wondering whether to buy a Ferrari 360 or to hang out for an F40 because having learnt in a diesel Fiesta you think the 360 might be a bit slow.

Suspect that APNess will not find a massive difference when tuning his Thunderace. Sure he might weigh 10 stone more than those on the 600s, but the combined bike and rider weight that is only about 20% more on the combined bike / rider weight for something with way more power.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:08 - 08 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you easily get bored of power, then get the 600 and learn to use it as a proper tool for cornering. I'm sure they have spectacular roads in spain. This was the VERY reason why I didn't go for a ZX9R as my next bike after my 250. The 44bhp -> 130bhp jump to a ZX9R C is still substantial - insurance on the 9 was cheaper than the quotes for my 6, BUT, knowing that litre bikes will be unforgiving for a person that's not even handled a 6 properly, then i gave it a miss. It's a coming of age, and I'm not mature enough yet to handle a thou. It's like nature, you need to treat it with respect otherwise it will bite you in your arse and whilst you won't worry about it, others around you WILL.

If you want to run a bike only on motorways, then by all means a thou will have all the power in reserve for you to milemunch, BUT i will probably guarantee this to you, with such little experience, not only WILL you be quicker on a 6 through a technical section, you'd probably have more fun to, you'd be able to use the revs more without shitting yourself. Earning a bike ain't all about top speed. You'd seldom use ALL of the 130+ bhp anyway on a regular basis.

If and when i do decide to get a thou, it'll only be for the sake of having owned a litre bike, chances are that i'd go back to a 6 or 750. 33bhp is still plenty to get you killed mind. Karma
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

5v3d3b0
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 08 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really is a shame that they don't make 400s anymore, and I haven't found a single 400cc sportbike in Barcelona. Not one.
Rs250 would be nice, but it's expensive, unreliable, almost the same bike as the one I have, and really not that fast anyway. I didn't get my full licence for nothing.
As said I'll try a few bikes.
The ones I'd like to try at the moment are:
R6
SRAD 600
SRAD 750
ZX7RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:01 - 08 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say push to get your srad or R6. If that's what you're yearning for, you'd be better off riding a bike that you fancy rather than for the sake of having a though - after your stint on mid-sized bikes, savour the experience when you move onto a thou Thumbs Up

Do a colinwall and get a test ride on em all and make your decisions that way. Sometimes your dream bike might not be what you expected it to be.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:58 - 09 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a go of my mates RF900R it was great fun, but I would never own one, it really put me off big BHP bikes, the RF is about 140bhp I think. It was so quick I pinned it on the first straight I saw and was doing 150 without even trying. It was far too much power for the road, + it handled like a barge.

Give me a nimble 600 anyday. Thumbs Up
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 151 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.3 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 115.71 Kb