Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


just bought my first 'big' bike, cheapest way to 33bhp?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

deliriousthun...
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:36 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: just bought my first 'big' bike, cheapest way to 33bhp? Reply with quote

It's a 1999 XJ600N..

I basically need to find the cheapest way possible to restrict it..

am just trying to figure out how I'm going to afford to restrict it AND be able to insure it too..

any serious suggestions appreciated Wink

Thanks
____________________
Tom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:39 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ebay some washers, fit em yourself.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

deliriousthun...
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:49 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all I can find on ebay, and at £75 I figure there must be cheaper ways to get some washers..

am I searching for the wrong thing?
____________________
Tom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:54 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you actually want to keep it 33hp?

If not, you could get a friendly dyno place to stuff a rag down the exhaust then run the bike to show a low power figure.

To actually have it 33hp, I would ideally find someone who has a kit and try and get the dimensions to replicate it.

Alternatively, get some dyno time and make one up; either with washers, a throttle re restricter or both.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deliriousthun...
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, want to keep it at 33bhp..

will try and find someone who has one..

know anyone on the forum who has one restricted? (or even better *had* and might sell me the kit)

Thanks
____________________
Tom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:03 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could order the restrictors from FI, replicate them, send them back saying you ordered the wrong ones Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Burnside
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:23 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, but don't you need a certificate from 'the garage who fitted it' to prove its been restricted?
____________________
I started out with nothing and I still got most of it left.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

deliriousthun...
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 29 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:28 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

well afaik, the law is that my bike has to be restricted, but not that I have to have a certificate to prove that it is..

I mean, if you've got the certificate great, but even that isn't proof that it's restricted, only that it *was* restricted at one time..
____________________
Tom
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Tristan.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 26 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:37 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollyj wrote:
I may be wrong, but don't you need a certificate from 'the garage who fitted it' to prove its been restricted?


Thats simply what FI likes to make people think, complete bollocks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:55 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

deliriousthunder wrote:
well afaik, the law is that my bike has to be restricted, but not that I have to have a certificate to prove that it is..

I mean, if you've got the certificate great, but even that isn't proof that it's restricted, only that it *was* restricted at one time..


Not even that. FI just send it out with the restrictors, you don't even have to fit them and you have 'evidence' that it's restricted.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

smegballs
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:17 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

im 17 and on 33 bhp so this is what i've succesfully done in the past.

1. Get my old man to take bike on the local dyno.
2. See what revs bike makes 33bhp
3. Make some sort of restrictor that stops revs above 33bhp
4. Jobs a good un!!

Cheers, Rich
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

jonchivers
Nova Slayer



Joined: 09 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:57 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

deliriousthunder wrote:
This is all I can find on ebay, and at £75 I figure there must be cheaper ways to get some washers..

am I searching for the wrong thing?


Yep - they are the one's you want. I also ride a 1999 XJ600N restricted.

I got my restrictors for £40 i think. Fitted them myself in 20 mins (and I am a novice at such things).

Go onto the divvy club https://diversionclub.proboards74.com/index.cgi
and see if anyone has them cheaper

The ones you saw on fleabay - Allenby has been selling those for a while now (I saw them when i was looking) so offer them half money and you'll probably get them.
____________________
Jonnyboy -- Riding Yamaha XJ600N -- Previous Kawasaki BN125 (Sold)
Restricted until March 2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nixon
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 23 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you tried ringing a yamaha dealer?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

c_dug
Super Spammer



Joined: 04 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was shown these by Jackdim off of here (cheers mate looks good) might be worth looking into for your bike, scroll most of the way to the bottom and theres a selection of electronic rev limiters which would do the job fine assuming they work alright...

c_dug
____________________
I am a bellend, I am a man of constant sorrow, I am a gummy bear, I am a rock.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:40 - 13 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hollyj wrote:
I may be wrong, but don't you need a certificate from 'the garage who fitted it' to prove its been restricted?


The certificate only proves that you payed stupid amounts of money for glorified washers and you happily bent over and got fucked in the ass with no lube and this was a horse. Wish I hadn't bothered, although my mum actually payed for it.

The certificate is bollocks. You can show it to the police as much as you like but they will most likely test your bike out if they believe it to be over 33BHP. That's if they even know about it.

Cheapest way to restrict a bike is to restrict your hand Wink A nut or two does go missing but easy to replace Mr. Green
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 144 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.59 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 88.45 Kb