Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Two sides of Football

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:10 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Two sides of Football Reply with quote

Football is a funny, cruel game.

For 10 years I have gone to the Shay to watch Halifax Town play, going to every home game and plenty of away games. They are a big part of my life and up until a couple of years ago when I moved away, they determined my day to day life, what I would do at the weekends and who my friends were.

But over the past few days we have gone bust and will get relegated 2 leagues minimum from our current position in the Conference.

I remember playing Hull in the league a few years back and now they are in the play-offs for the Premiership while we have just been demoted to the Unibond or some other place.

So while all you Man Utd. fans in London celebrate tonight, bear in mind the many clubs that have gone bust at a lower level leaving their die hard fans in tears and the other multitude of clubs that spend well beyond their means to get just a chance to play in the leagues above. these are clubs that you have probably never heard of seen as though they are not on MotD every week, but they are the livelihoods for a vast number of people.

B Sky B have ensured that the money injected into football is pretty much solely placed into the hands of the top Premiership clubs so we see their wage bills and turnovers get ever more expensive, when at the same time clubs are going bust because they are in debt by the amount of a Premiership players weekly wage.

Sorry if you don't care about football politics and have no concept of life outside the Premiership, but I for one am seriously gutted about what has happened to my team Crying or Very sad

I just hope we can build up again from the start with no debts and a fresh approach to how we spend our money Sad
____________________
Full Motorbike License - GS500E '95
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

trevoriv
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:21 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a shame but sometimes starting again does a club good.

I'm a hull fan and I remember not too long ago we had loads of problems with the chairman locking the gates to the ground and not allowing the club to use 'his' ground!

Thankfully we have a new board/chairman a new ground and could be in the premiership for the first time in the clubs history.
____________________
Past: '96 Thundercat, '02 ZX636R (A1P), '58 KTM 690 SM LC4 Current: '06 ZX636R (C6F)
Mudskipper wrote: Someone just has to sig that...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:25 - 11 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hull are a good side.
I'm always shown them respect as a football fan since the time I went to Exeter away with Halifax. The away stand was pretty empty as it was so far away.
Next week I watched Goals on Sunday and Hull had packed the stand out. I was amazed!

Good luck with the playoffs. I'd like to see you guys go up Thumbs Up
____________________
Full Motorbike License - GS500E '95
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:54 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you watch for the football or for the corporate managers pay?

Man U and the like are about the business.

It doesn't matter who you play if it is the football. Doesn't matter what league you are in. just keep the passion for your team.

By the way I can't stand football.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shay HTFC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:22 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skudd wrote:
Do you watch for the football or for the corporate managers pay?

Man U and the like are about the business.

It doesn't matter who you play if it is the football. Doesn't matter what league you are in. just keep the passion for your team.

By the way I can't stand football.


I watch them because they are my home side. When I was about 10, I went to my first game and got hooked ever since.
Trust me, I hate the way the Premiership is going. It's all about revenue and targets and profit etc etc.

To be fair, we have only gone bust because we have been trying to keep up with the Joneses. Football is no longer a game for the common man to watch on a saturday afternoon. It is now just a business.
Whatever people say, that's what the Premiership now is. A money making tool and unfortunately there are loads of teams spending money they don't have just to try and keep up.

The effects are even felt down in non-league hence us going bust trying to spend what we don't have! Thumbs Down
____________________
Full Motorbike License - GS500E '95
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have supported Liverpool ever since I was a child.

However more recently, I feel disenchanted with the whole Premier League system. It's not even like it's part of the English football structure anymore. It's a celebrities playground where people earn more in a week than your average worker earns in five years.

From the age of 15/16 I started going to watch Yeovil Town play at home, I remember watching them get promoted from the ICIS league into the Conference and it was a fantastic achievement, the ground started filling up and playing the likes of Dagenham and Redbridge was a joy to see just down the A30 from my place.

Then they got promoted to the old 3rd Division (now league 2) and thats when I began to see the lure of money coming precedent to what the fans wanted. Instead of turning up on matchday and pay a fiver to stand on the terraces on a cold December afternoon, instead you had to pay £10 in advance for a ticket.

Yeovil Town progressed even further and are now in League one. I don't watch them anymore, primarily cause I live so far away. Yet I know it is now nearly £20 to watch them play on a Saturday, the players haven't changed much, but their wage demands have due to the way that wages throughout the leagues have structured. So whilst Yeovil still play at a 9,000 capacity stadium, of which two stands are still standing terraces, the players get uppity when they don't get decent money.

And so in this age of football, the players don't play for their shirt and their fans, they play for the money. It's no longer a sport it is a corporate business.

I feel your pain mate, luckily none of the clubs I have gone to watch have gone bust, although Coventry came very close a few months back. But literally below the premier league, or I suppose the Championship English football is dying. It needs huge reform.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Marcg868
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

trevoriv wrote:
It is a shame but sometimes starting again does a club good.

I'm a hull fan and I remember not too long ago we had loads of problems with the chairman locking the gates to the ground and not allowing the club to use 'his' ground!

Thankfully we have a new board/chairman a new ground and could be in the premiership for the first time in the clubs history.


I hope you do get into the Premier League as i wish to give Phill Sun Bed Brown a standing oviation for what him and Alladyce did for our club. Although i wish he was our manager andn ot yours Laughing
____________________
JACK, MISS YOU LOADS YOU LEGEND.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

andrew
Mister Road Rage



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 13 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you and your club the best of luck. Ron Noades tried to Brentford so that he could get his hands on some prime West London real estate. Although we're not setting the world alight, things are starting to look slightly better these days, a few years ago i thought our time was up.

It does get better, we should end up with a new stadium in a few years time, with the sale of our current ground we should be debt free.

I love football from all leagues including the premier league but there is nothing quite like watching the REAL clubs. In fact i'd rather be at Griffin Park than any Premier League ground any day of the week.

Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 145 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.20 Sec - Server Load: 3.21 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 60.69 Kb