Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Don't play catch-up...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Don't play catch-up... Reply with quote

...but ride at your own pace.

Post prompted by an incident the other day. Taking the car with missus and kids. Going along and slight curve in the road with oncoming lorry. Two bikes over took lorry, no worries says I, plenty of room. Then as I was approaching another bike appeared on my side from behind said lorry. Me, immediately braked and moved as left as I could. In hindsight bike probably had room however, left those in the car with a WTF! moment.

Obvious to me bike was playing catch-up with the 2 in front. Because they'd done the move probably assumed room for the third. Not nice, should have checked first, especially as said on slight bend.

So just like to say really if riding in a group just do it sensibly and those in front set the pace or be prepared to park up and wait for those behind (or have pre-arranged meeting points).

Worth remembering too that causing another vehicle to brake or change course is an immediate fail on the test.

Thumbs Up
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sagalout
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:40 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good post. We went out for a 190 mile ride to Robin Hoods bay then did the Yorkshire TT and there was some shocking riding on display, mostly risky overtakes around blind bends and double white lines from bikes in groups try to catch up.

I've noticed it on a couple of the BCF rides we had last year too - its as if the bikes are tied together with rope and because one bike goes for an overtake all the others must follow! Just ride your own ride and arrange to meet somewhere for a stop and catchup Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riders playing catch-up outside of their comfort / skill level is probably the worst thing that a rider could do on the roads. This is the reason I'd probably not ride another internet based rideout with the associated 'lottery' of varying skills, bikes and tostesterone.

Recipe for disaster I tells thee. Much better tohave a regular, trusted 'wingman'.
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Re: Don't play catch-up... Reply with quote

map wrote:
...but ride at your own pace.

Post prompted by an incident the other day. Taking the car with missus and kids. Going along and slight curve in the road with oncoming lorry. Two bikes over took lorry, no worries says I, plenty of room. Then as I was approaching another bike appeared on my side from behind said lorry. Me, immediately braked and moved as left as I could. In hindsight bike probably had room however, left those in the car with a WTF! moment.

Obvious to me bike was playing catch-up with the 2 in front. Because they'd done the move probably assumed room for the third. Not nice, should have checked first, especially as said on slight bend.

So just like to say really if riding in a group just do it sensibly and those in front set the pace or be prepared to park up and wait for those behind (or have pre-arranged meeting points).

Worth remembering too that causing another vehicle to brake or change course is an immediate fail on the test.

Thumbs Up


Thats why going on BCF rideouts makes me cringe a lot. Hence I don't do it that often. TBH its nice to get together occasionally but I don't see the attraction of riding in a huge group. Riding in pairs or threes is enough for me. Some of the best riding I've done has actually been alone or with one other person.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following the rider in front leads to you both going through the same hole in the hedge.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer



Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:44 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ride with two other lads, I'm the quickest so I ride at the back with the slowest at the front. We often get split up due to traffic, lights, junctions etc. The first guy hangs back a bit until we all catch up at a safe pace. If two ouf us gets past a vehicle and the third is held behind it then there are no worries, just take our time to re group. It does help that we all have autocom fitted and know where each other are at all times. It helps that the guy in the front can also let you know when the next stretch of road is clear ready for a blast. It is good to set up basic rules for if you are split up or held behind other vehicles. The guy at the front must also realise that the guy at the back has to go faster than he does so needs to slow down. I know that when I lead I leave the other two well behind, even coming out of a junction they could be half a mile behind me in seconds, so I am very aware of my mirrors and to talk over the radios.
____________________
Famous last words of Humpty Dumpty. " Stop pushing me "
Petty Anarchists look at "1984".............. The Visionary looks at "Animal Farm".
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Group riding is probably the most dangerous as if riding with faster riders you will always find yourself out of your comfort zone. Generally if I am out on a ride, the consensus is to ride at the slowest paced rider.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before. The "leader-follower" system is best. The first person needs to know where they are going. The last person needs to know they are last (this can change, as long as you know when you're last).

Simple rule. If you turn off the road you're on, you wait at the junction for the next person unless you're the last.

If everyone knows this is happening, there is no pressure to keep up.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FreshAL
Sir Crashalot



Joined: 04 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Re: Don't play catch-up... Reply with quote

map wrote:
bike was playing catch-up with the 2 in front


Memorably summed up for me by my instructor - "Following through is never a good thing"


Wish all instructors would make that point, see it too often, especially with new riders.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped doing BCF rideouts for this reason aftr a shocking ride out to wales.

I saw very dodgy over takes, got tail gated, someone had an off and got caught speeding, when 1 person out of like 8 gets caught speeding you know something is wrong.

I now only ride with riders I trust, it spoils my ride when you round a corner to find someone pulling their bike out od a hedge or look in your mirror to see your buddy has gone missing suddenly.

One moment that stands out was overtaking a car as I approached a bend, I knew I had enough time to pass, dab the brakes whilst getting back on m sideof the road then go through the corner at a moderate pace. Imagine my surprise when I'm along side the car and look in my mirror to see someone has followed me. So instead of smoothly passing and flowing through the corner I went tearing through the corner a lot quicker than I wanted to.

Next stop and I get "wow, you're quick for someone on a 400", turns out this rider had got the 'I'm on a 600 so can do anything he does' mentality, not the type of person you want following you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:04 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been out on few BCF rides but i have been lucky i guess as the people i've ridden with (you know who youare! Laughing ) have always been sensible.
I sometimes go out with my brother and another mate - they are quicker than me, but i dont care. I go at my own pace, catch up if i feel confident to do so, otherwise we all meet a few miles down the road Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nick, well I would as he was one of the guys I met on a BCF rideout. I think all the guys I met were alright, sure some of the younger chaps could've ridden a little more steadily, and I think there were a couple of occasions were we split up as a group. But I never felt the compulsion to ride outside of my abilities and I was the guy at the back most of the time. It's probably a question of mentality and we all appeared to be in possession of the same attitude which made it a great day out. It helped that super sensible Colin had planned the route and we all knew where to meet up for lunch. Thumbs Up
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:10 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that Lee, and i propose another rideout in the not too distant future! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:21 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on one BCF rideout.

Started badly when within 100 yards of the meet up point, someones hand slipped off their clutch and shunted both himself and the bike in front of him through a junction and onto a roundabout. Both bikes down.

Later on in the run someone jumped off the back of his CBR600R because he didn't think he'd make it round the next corner (despite having just seen someone on a ZX9R take said corner considerably faster). He slid about 100 yards and into a fence, lift home in an ambulance.

I do not ever want to see someone randomly jump off their bike in front of me again. That sort of shit freaks me out.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

virus
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:26 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rded nick Laughing

I'm usually the slow one on the CG at the back and i used to make stupid mistakes to keep up, but to be honest i ride at my own pace now be it on the CG or the RS, I tend to ride like a tit most of the time. I can keep up a lot easier on the 250 thankfully, managed to keep up with nick when we went to Gloucester.

make that rideout after I get back eh nick? im going to wales after R+S so ill need to wake the 250 up again after 2 weeks doing nothing Thumbs Up Cool


Cheers
John
____________________
own: 81 xs1100g...
owned: 85 rat CG (sold), 91 GS500e (stolen), 84 gsx400f (scrapped), 81 z250 (siezed, siezed, scrapped), 83 cb250rs (sold), 84 gpz750r ratfighter (killed) 84gpz400 (sold), '80 cb650 ratfighter (wrote off) 95gsx6/12f ratfighter (killed) 91 xj900 (sold)
stinkwheel Well I just had my hands up a pigs fanny. Which makes your concerns pale into insignificance.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you weren't in some sort of motorbike carry on film Stinkwheel. Laughing

My rideouts with bcf people have thankfully been less eventful, only witnessed two crashes, one of them lead me to me to have this custom title. Embarassed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Later on in the run someone jumped off the back of his CBR600R because he didn't think he'd make it round the next corner


Name and shame.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:46 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny wrote:
Are you sure you weren't in some sort of motorbike carry on film Stinkwheel.


It felt like it. After the first 'episode' I pulled off onto the side of the road and sat there smoking and humming the Benny Hill Show theme tune to myself while everyone milled about aimlessly with their bikes parked in the middle of the road.

Then the police turned up, to whom I gave my standard outright denial of any involvement in or knowledge of any sort of incident. ie. "Nothin' to do with me pal."
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:54 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I do not ever want to see someone randomly jump off their bike in front of me again. That sort of shit freaks me out.


Shocked Holy shit, no wonder you feel like you do. Who was that then?

I've been in the situation as I described; miles from BoxHill, no idea where the feck we are, chasing a rapidly disappearing 400 on a 125 not knowing if they'll stop or not at the next junction.. Very Happy

Not the nicest feeling in the world, although you can hardly blame someone that has miles more experience and speed at their disposal for using it. It just makes you take so many more risks that now I shudder when I think of them. Once I hit a hump-back bridge at about 50mph, only to find a set of traffic lights and a queue of traffic on the other side. Confused Completely my fault but brought about by the situation I found myself in.

Nowadays a regular set of mates will go out with me, sometimes all but mostly one or two at a time. They know I like to lead and we know one in our group isn't that quick; but we make a point that we wait at any turn-off or major junction for all of us before setting off again. Also we don't really have anyone that needs to go 180+mph to have fun, most of our routes are quite technical so 100mph at times is plenty.

Stinkwheels method seems a pretty good method for an internet rideout, where strangers don't necessarily know each other's styles. Thumbs Up
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single most unpredictable variable in a group rideout was inevitably me. I was renown for my suicide moves "around the outside" on multiple occasions, very often in the damp conditions, because i had every reason to prove that my ZXR250 was better than their bikes and it all depended on the rider (i was riding with a intermediate track day rider on his ZX7R, guy on a SV thou who rode slow and a DAS graduate on an XJ600). Having mismatched bikes and a variety of riding experience was not a very good combination since I was always trying to head the pack with the ZX7R lad. Obviously I had a substantial lack of power - something to the tune of 60-70bhp deficit with the ZX7R, but i was keeping up with him in the bends and losing out to the SV lad.

Nowadays, to keep me in check on a group rideout - i offer to bring a pillion. It keeps me more aware that there's somebody else's life in your hands and that I have to ride with 100% concentration on the road ahead, trying my best to reduce any risks by predicting and reacting to hazards before they happen. I'll try to pootle at the back in which case, but there's ALWAYS somebody slower than me that tries to get past but finding the wrong places to do so - it becomes tiresome at the end of the day and wish that it could be done another way.

I guess the best way for a group ride out is to stagger the departure - arrival time. Pre-arrange waypoints and let the fast buggers razz off and end up at their destination first, wait about, have a fag, get some grub etc, then have the intermediates who would otherwise get goaded into riding beyond their abilities in order to catch up with the fast lads and finally, the amblers. At the end of the pack, i.e. leaving up to 10 mins later than the fast pack is the sweeper who picks up any person lost along the way (could be a fast rider, but ideally one who knows the route). We did this a few times and it worked a lot better, with more consideration for traffic and other road users and therefore less risk to yourself.

Or you could be young and silly again and not learn from your mistakes - I've had a lot of pant shitting moments riding in groups, but i've remembered quite a few of them, especially when there's a few lunatics around you.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:18 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:
I've had a lot of pant shitting moments riding in groups, but i've remembered quite a few of them, especially when there's a few lunatics around you.


Groups of mates is one thing (at least people have some idea of your ability and some sense of responsibilty..) but internet rideouts are a far more volatile beast.

Firstly you've got the forum showboaters who may need to obliterate any riding competition and get there 5mins before anyone else, then you've got the rideout regulars who manage a fairly good pace, then the inters who struggle to stay with the quick boys, all the way down to the bottom - the small capacity (no fear - no gear) riders who can't even do 100mph downhill. Then there's the fact that not everyone knows the route, maybe only one does. Then there's the forum nutjob who doesn't think there's anything wrong with overtaking on blind bends, outbraking others etc, etc.

Plus, do you really GAS if NutterRida74 disappears backwards into a hedge ten miles back? Will anyone even know who they are?

It's a weird one and I don't go on them anymore so meh. Razz
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:44 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
stinkwheel wrote:
Later on in the run someone jumped off the back of his CBR600R because he didn't think he'd make it round the next corner


Name and shame.


He used to post on here as "reno", mostly in the Scottish section. I haven't seen him post for a long time now.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Matthie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:17 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
He used to post on here as "reno", mostly in the Scottish section. I haven't seen him post for a long time now.



Maybe he jumped off the back of one bike too many! Thumbs Up
____________________
***Previous: GPR50, FZ750 *** Current: Monkey bike, yella SV 650 Smile ***

Tutton says: I hate random hardons, they are so weird...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:38 - 12 May 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guy at work following behind two bikes in his car last bank holiday, the woman on the front bike (rg125) went around a car on a long left bend, wheel skipping over the catseyes. She hit the front offside of an oncoming mpv, lost an arm and a leg.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 149 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.16 Sec - Server Load: 0.54 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 141.55 Kb