Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Gear selector won't budge (1st to 2nd gear)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mez
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 24 Jun 2008    Post subject: Gear selector won't budge (1st to 2nd gear) Reply with quote

I've searched and I can't find much.

I purchased a new bike recently, an AJS JS125-E. Because of up and down weather and slight nerves about getting used to gears again (though I was fine after second outing Smile) I've only ridden it 4 times in the 3 weeks or so I've owned it.

Anyway, problem is, and this has been a problem every outing, when changing from 1st gear to 2nd gear, I'll lift my toes to shift up to 2nd and the lever just will not move, the bloody thing is stuck fast.

A typical situation: I'm in 1st gear waiting at lights, light turns green, I pull away nicely, get to the top of 1st in seconds, pull clutch in, try to change up but no luck, the selector will not move, I release the clutch, feel my eardrums perforate at the high pitched whining, look at the guy behind me getting pissed off and the swarms of people on the pavement all turning to see what that noise is, swear several times, pull the clutch in again and try again, still no luck. A few times it will work first time but only very occasionally, sometimes the second or third attempt will do it, I swear one time today I tried at least 5 times before I got into second. FWIW also, a few times today I would attempt to change maybe twice, and on releasing the clutch the second time the thing would be in neutral, at which point it changes up no problem.

What is causing this? Is it me or the bike? After today I'm quickly getting into the habit of pulling away in 2nd but irritatingly that usually means I'll end up stalling. Rolling Eyes

Frustrating thing is, if I didn't have this problem, I'd be a half-decent rider. Laughing
____________________
My deviantArt gallery - My Youtube profile
Honda CG125 -> Baotian BT49 -> AJS JS125 -> Honda CG125-> Kawasaki ZL400 -> Kawasaki GPZ500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:23 - 24 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me (from the way you've written it) that you aren't backing off the revs before you attempt to change up.

Should go.

Set off in first
Hit 2kish before redline(top of gear one as you said)
As clutch pulled in, roll off the revs to about 1-3k revs
Click up
clutch comes out as you put it up to about 1/3 revs.

repeat.

I've had this twice when agressivly riding, if I don't let the revs drop enough before trying to click up, it makes a loud grinding noise and will only be solved by either clutch in and revs to nothing, or braking then clutch and click up.

Try being more gentle with the clutch, and not going so high up the revs in first gear. Then work from there.

Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mez
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:32 - 24 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pyro, thanks for the advice and the quick response. As far as I am aware I am releasing the throttle before pulling in the clutch, but next time I go for a ride (tonight or tomorrow *shrug*) I'll pay more attention and see what I'm actually doing. I hope it is me just being an idiot.

Thanks again! Thumbs Up

EDIT: Oh jeez, I just remembered, there have also been just one or two occasions where I've stopped to park up in 1st, once I've stopped I'll go to switch up to neutral but again the selector won't move, so I'll drop the clutch and let it stall. On returning to it after a day at college or whatever, I'll turn the ignition on, pull the clutch in and its no problem getting it back into neutral before I start the engine and go. Confused
____________________
My deviantArt gallery - My Youtube profile
Honda CG125 -> Baotian BT49 -> AJS JS125 -> Honda CG125-> Kawasaki ZL400 -> Kawasaki GPZ500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 24 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to your second problem, a large number of bikes have spots where you can't click it into neutral from first. Try rocking weight forward, doesn't need to be a lot, just ever so slightly and it might do it.

If it's not your riding to do with the clutch, I'd be taking it back and asking them to test ride it and see if it's ok. (presuming it's from a dealer)

Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stirlinggaz
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:11 - 24 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
does this bike have the 156FMI engine (cg125 clone)?
as most of these chinese bikes do.
i have one in my ck*nky 4t, cant remember or pronounce the name!
anyway, i have had a few problems since changing the oil.
i put in semi-synthetic, but im now told by other chinese bike owners to stick to the cheap mineral oil & change it often.
so maybe your oils needing changed?
or your gear rod needs adjusted?
try practising changing gear when engines off, does it engage then?
ie-change down into 1st, can you push it forward?
then try & go into 2nd.
my bike has a handy gear indicator, now & again i will miss 2nd & indicator doesnt show anything but its either in neutral or in between gears (if thats possible) as i can rev the tits off it & it wont go anywhere!
i have to let the revs drop, then go back into 1st & try again, very frustrating & embarrasing when pulling away from lights etc.
cheers,
GAZ
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

finpos
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 06:13 - 25 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it won't move, as opposed to it moves but does nothing, then it's very broken indeed. If it's jammed then the selector drum (buried deep in the engine) has not gone all the way to it's resting position (i.e. ready for second) when you put it into first.

However, sounds like you could be a little kinder to the thing:

1. Make sure the clutch is properly adjusted and is not dragging.
2. When pulling off, change up sooner, i.e. don't be revving the thing to death.
3. Make sure your PREVIOUS gear change was a good one, i.e. make sure that when you put it into first, you pressed the lever all the way down and got a positive engagement.
4. If it does jam, try pushing into first again.

f.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mez
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 13 Mar 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 25 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys.

Took it to college today and made a conscious effort to close the throttle entirely before changing gear. I have to say that it worked fine several times, but there were still quite a few troublesome changes.

Gaz, the dealer I bought it from told me the engine was built by Yamaha, I forget where he said but it came from a Yamaha factory anyway. I wouldn't think the oil is a problem since it only has around 200km on the clock. Also when the engine is off, if I've come to a stop to park or whatever usually it will engage but every now and then it is stuck fast to I end up leaning down and pulling it up with my hand. Most of the time this happens, I've stopped in 1st and am trying to get into neutral, others I've stopped in 2nd, changed down to 1st then had trouble getting into neutral. As Pyro mentioned though, just nudging forward and back a tad seems to sort this most of the time.

finpos, I have no trouble changing down to 1st, half the time I'll put in 1st before coming to a stop and I have no problem riding the short distance to where I have to stop (lights, junction etc.). It's just changing up I have difficulty with.

Thanks again for all the input. I'll keep riding and practicing my gear changes. If it continues for too long or gets worse I'll get my dealers opinion on it, though like you guys say it's probably my riding thats the problem lol.
____________________
My deviantArt gallery - My Youtube profile
Honda CG125 -> Baotian BT49 -> AJS JS125 -> Honda CG125-> Kawasaki ZL400 -> Kawasaki GPZ500
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 25 Jun 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the adjustment of the clutch cable - it might not be fully disengaging.

Doesn't sound like it, but worth a try.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 108 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.78 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 61.27 Kb