Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Loan@18

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:40 - 30 Jul 2008    Post subject: Loan@18 Reply with quote

Hi all,

I turn 18 in a month, and due to lending money to a family friend, I won't have the money for the bike I want then, so for two reasons I want to get a loan.

1) so I have the money then

2) so I can pay back a relativly small amount of money to start building a credit rating

Does anyone know of anywhere that will let me borrow a grand over 6 months?

I did moneysupermarket and I found 2 that are 1000 over 6 months at 182 quid p/m so 1096 total payback.

Can someone explain how a loan works anyway?

And yeah, I earn just short of 200 a week, so it's not getting into debt I can't afford.

Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 30 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make a (likely) assumption you still live at home, is it really worth getting a loan for that small amount of cash when your disposable income could probably easy cover it in a couple months saving?

You're probably not going to get great interest rates at that age either. If I was you I'd be more looking at credit cards with introductory offers like 0% for 9 months etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:36 - 31 Jul 2008    Post subject: Re: Loan@18 Reply with quote

pyroforlife wrote:

Can someone explain how a loan works anyway?



You get money instantly and pay back more than you originally borrowed in instalements. The amount extra you pay back depends on your circumstances, the amount you borrow and the time you borrow it over.

If you miss a payment they whack you with charges.

Just call in your loan from the family friend. Wink
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Weedy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:03 - 31 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

maurice wrote:
I'll make a (likely) assumption you still live at home, is it really worth getting a loan for that small amount of cash when your disposable income could probably easy cover it in a couple months saving?

You're probably not going to get great interest rates at that age either. If I was you I'd be more looking at credit cards with introductory offers like 0% for 9 months etc.


I'll second that. I got a loan for £1300 when I was 18 and 3 months. Due to my age, the interest rate I was given was 32%! This was with a bank I'd been with since I was 14.

Compare that rate to now. I'm 22, been working full time for 5 years with a fairly unchanging wage. I've never missed a beat keeping my account in check and I got an interest rate of 7.8%.

If I was able to do it again, I'd save my disposable income and go without for a few months instead of getting a loan.

Just my Penny Coin Penny Coin worth though.
____________________
<CBT passed 16th Sept 2007><Theory Test passed 11th Oct 2007><Practical Test passed 19th Apr 2008>
OWNED: 2008 Aprilia Pegaso Strada CURRENT: Bikeless :'(
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bEN_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:57 - 31 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 19 and got a 3k loan for my R6 , i could of saved for a few months and done it that way, but i wanted a bike this summer and i know our summers are shit here so basically i just didn't want to wait.

The first time i applied for a loan ( a decent one ) i was turned down because of my credit rating becuase i never had any other loans, credit cards etc so the first thing i did was apply for a credit card, i used capital one, they give one to any fucker, i started off with a 100 quid limit, and i've not used the card once, after a month or so they increased my limit on the card, i applied for the same loan with the same bank and this time there were no problems.
mines over 2 years at 180 quid a month and i'm having no problems affording it, but i don't spend hardly any cash on clothes, or getting pissed every weekend Laughing

if you can afford it, go for it, you don't even notice the extra money you have to pay back because you don't care because you have the bike you want. Thumbs Up
____________________
2010 Ducati 848 Dark

Lamp Post Enthusiast
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dom_
Points Mean Prizes



Joined: 02 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 06 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bENN wrote:
I'm 19 and got a 3k loan for my R6 , i could of saved for a few months and done it that way, but i wanted a bike this summer and i know our summers are shit here so basically i just didn't want to wait.

The first time i applied for a loan ( a decent one ) i was turned down because of my credit rating becuase i never had any other loans, credit cards etc so the first thing i did was apply for a credit card, i used capital one, they give one to any fucker, i started off with a 100 quid limit, and i've not used the card once, after a month or so they increased my limit on the card, i applied for the same loan with the same bank and this time there were no problems.
mines over 2 years at 180 quid a month and i'm having no problems affording it, but i don't spend hardly any cash on clothes, or getting pissed every weekend Laughing

if you can afford it, go for it, you don't even notice the extra money you have to pay back because you don't care because you have the bike you want. Thumbs Up


Your paying £1300 on interest. Shocked
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 03:48 - 07 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not get the money back off this family friend, or get him to take the loan out if he's got a better credit rating than you on the agreement that he pays off the loan until he's paid what you leant him into it. If he's a family friend though, why's he borrowing money off a 17year old and not your parents etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pie-Roe
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:56 - 07 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because my parent's didn't want to. I liked the interest he offered, and that I get his car as payment if he doesn't cough up (which he will seeing as my dad has known him for years)

I've been offered a loan of a grand over 6 months, paying like 167.50 P/M which is 0% except for a £5 charge. I think I'm going to take that, it's just under a 1/4 of my monthly income, so I don't think there will be a problem.

Pyro
____________________
Previous: GSF600, FZR600 x2, ZXR750, XT600 Tenere, CB125, CZ125, ETZ 250, ER5, CCM R30, DRZ400, RF600x4, RF900x2, GS500, VTR1000F, 640 SMC, CB250 NIGHTHAWK, GT550x3, GPX750 TE610, CB500, X11x2, SV650, ZING 125, TL1000R,CB250 Superdream, CBR1100XX
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 61 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.09 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 60.42 Kb