Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Using a parent as named driver on insurance

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 31 Jul 2008    Post subject: Using a parent as named driver on insurance Reply with quote

How exactly does this work as i'm reading on another forum that someone done this & got a hefty discount on there quote. I want to use my mum on the policy but would she just be a name driver & me as proposer? Who's NCB do i use as she's got a fair amount.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:24 - 31 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put her on as a named driver. Don't use her NCB, use yours obviously, as it's your policy.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Misc
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 31 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do all insurers do this then or just word 'named drivers' differently as i'm on eCar now & i'm the 'proposer' & mum is 'driver 2' is this right?

The quote wasn't any different anyway. Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kipper
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:01 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way to save money is put your parent as the proposer and you as the named driver. The quote is cheaper but you don't earn your own no claims (however you do with direct line).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

physbar monkey
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 27 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:05 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found with my car (2 years ncb) I still save money putting my mum on as a named driver, even if she'll never drive my car I'm saving £40. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm not complaining.

It would be much cheaper for me to be a named driver and my mum to be the proposer but seeing as I live in bristol most of the year that's stretching it a bit.
____________________
Currently Riding: 1994 Honda CB250
Restriction ends: 30/01/2010
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:36 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipper wrote:
The way to save money is put your parent as the proposer and you as the named driver. The quote is cheaper but you don't earn your own no claims (however you do with direct line).


Doesn't the application state that the proposer should be the main driver of the vehicle?

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:41 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

physbar monkey wrote:
I've found with my car (2 years ncb) I still save money putting my mum on as a named driver, even if she'll never drive my car I'm saving £40. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm not complaining.



Yeah I noticed that when I put my dad onto my insurance earlier, it's weird. Dropped by about 30 quid.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:53 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily, I buck the trend. Having my Mum or Dad on my policy and the price stays the same. Confused
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mal
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:38 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

physbar monkey wrote:
I've found with my car (2 years ncb) I still save money putting my mum on as a named driver, even if she'll never drive my car I'm saving £40. I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm not complaining.


It's down to the way that insurance company's software calculates premiums. If a policy has 2 people on it, the software assumes that they will drive the car equally, so if the second driver is a lower risk (ie older, or more experience, or less convictions etc) then this will result in a lower premium than if just the policy holder is able to drive.

Putting your parent as the proposer and you as the named driver when you are the main driver can land you in a heap of trouble. The insurance company calls this deception 'fronting' and it can result in your policy being cancelled outright back to when it started - more than a little inconvenient if you've just been involved in an accident....
____________________
Current: 2002 FJR1300, 1999 Thundercat, Previous: 1998 XVS650 Dragstar

"In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete - drawn, only to be washed away."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:56 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misc wrote:
Do all insurers do this then or just word 'named drivers' differently as i'm on eCar now & i'm the 'proposer' & mum is 'driver 2' is this right?

The quote wasn't any different anyway. Smile

Yep, that's right.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:01 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipper wrote:
The way to save money is put your parent as the proposer and you as the named driver. The quote is cheaper but you don't earn your own no claims (however you do with direct line).


This is the way to do it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:08 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_guvnor_1_uk wrote:
Kipper wrote:
The way to save money is put your parent as the proposer and you as the named driver. The quote is cheaper but you don't earn your own no claims (however you do with direct line).


This is the way to do it.

No it's not. You don't get any no claims so that's a silly idea.

You don't get your own proper no claims with direct line, you can't take it to another company because every other company knows how stupid that is, so you have to stay with direct line where they charge you what they like.

You're best off getting your own policy as soon as you can to start building the no claims.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:14 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

carvell wrote:

No it's not. You don't get any no claims so that's a silly idea.



It depends on what you are after, on an astra I had last year I was quoted 1400 quid third party only.

With my Mother as the proposer and me as a named driver it was 400 quid.

I would never have got a grand off with no claims discount!

So its not that silly is it? Rolling Eyes


Depends on the circumstance obviously.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Lady P
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:30 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I insured my car earlier this year and wanted to put my mam on as named driver it more than doubled even though she has a full licence and advanced driver on hers

Now I have been lookin to put my son on it and have been quoted some silly prices as his bike NCB dosnt count, I am a named rider on his policy and it was the same price may be look into me insuring it and him named rider
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Ste
Not Work Safe



Joined: 01 Sep 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:42 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a parent as the policy holder and yourself as a named driver has got to be one of the most expensive ways to buy a piece of paper.

Insurance companies are well aware of it happening, if you crash you'll be fucked. So the policy is worthless, you don't get any NCB, all you get is a very expensive piece of paper.

Yes guv, it's very silly, I can do you an piece of printed A4 paper that looks like an insurance certificate, and I'll do it for the bargain price of just £100. Mr. Green A quarter of the price you paid, and it'll do exactly the same for you in the event of a crash (absolutely nothing).

Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:43 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lady P wrote:
bike NCB dosnt count


I am finding this the MOST frustrating thing.

I've been quoted silly amounts to do a similar car-insurance thing for my daughter.

As I haven't had a car for years, not a single insurance company will accept my bike NCB (currently 4 years) for a car policy.

If I had a car policy of my own, even without any car NCB, its only about £300 for me alone. Adding Anita as a named driver brings it up to over £1200, and fair enough: I expected her age and inexperience to make a difference,

But considering I have been driving for over 30 years (just not in the last 3 or 4) ... I am well annoyed that they refuse to accept my bike NCB.

When I told them I had 4 years NCB, it came down to about £600 for both of us, but when I said it was for a bike, not a car, it jumped back up, as on a car policy, I have no NCB at all.

Even the company I have my bike insured with won't consider it, grrr.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:46 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that if you use your bike NCB on your car, you can't use it on your bike, so if you manage to use it on your car your bike premiums will soar cos it'll be back to 0 years.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Lady P
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car insurance is under £160.00 with 6 yr NCB to add my son who is 19 anything up to £3500 that is protecting my NCB as well


If you use a parent as main driver and self as named driver you will be covered but only third party and you are only supposed to use the car on occasions

Some insurance companies will take your named NCB but very few as I was a named driver on my dad ( I didnt have a car at that time long story ) we didnt even live in the same house when I bought my car I phone round as there was no internet at that time Norwich Union took the fact that I had been a named driver but was a long time ago so things may have changed
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

t121anf
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:56 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_guvnor_1_uk wrote:
Kipper wrote:
The way to save money is put your parent as the proposer and you as the named driver. The quote is cheaper but you don't earn your own no claims (however you do with direct line).


This is the way to do it.


i suggest you both google Fronting as this is what you will be doing and upon a claim you may find your insurance company won't pay out.

IMO put you on as a main driver/rider and mum, dad, girlf whoever as named

the insurance on my smart is more as just me, but put my girlf on and it drops by a lot, she doesn't drive it (maybe once every 2 yrs) but it sure helps financially.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:12 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:


Yes guv, it's very silly, I can do you an piece of printed A4 paper that looks like an insurance certificate, and I'll do it for the bargain price of just £100. Mr. Green A quarter of the price you paid, and it'll do exactly the same for you in the event of a crash (absolutely nothing).

Wink


No it wont, we said I would be driving the car the most and it would be kept at my postcode on the road overnight.

That 400 was tpft too, not just the third party.

Please please do tell me why it would be no good in a crash?

The policy was done honestly, only my mother was the proposer and the vehicle was registered to her, so I was just a named driver.

I fail to see why that is a bad thing?

I got insured legally and honestly for a grand less than my cheapest quote, and I got the added bonus of fire and theft.

Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

skinny
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 16 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:19 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also with you mum, dad as a named driver you are at least legally aloud to drive on the road. A fair amount better then no insurance.
____________________
oops I did it again....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:38 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

t121anf wrote:
the_guvnor_1_uk wrote:


This is the way to do it.


i suggest you both google Fronting as this is what you will be doing and upon a claim you may find your insurance company won't pay out.

IMO put you on as a main driver/rider and mum, dad, girlf whoever as named

the insurance on my smart is more as just me, but put my girlf on and it drops by a lot, she doesn't drive it (maybe once every 2 yrs) but it sure helps financially.



The only post in this thread worth taking in I'm afraid. If you get caught fronting, your in a pile of poop. Read up on it PLEASE.

If you drive the car the most, you ARE the main driver. The main driver and the proposer must be the same person.

You can take the risk and lie and squirrell out of it, but it is not legal and should the worst happen and you have a bad smash, the insurance company WILL dig into your circumstances and if they can show you have been telling porkies your insurance is VOID.

And so come the consequences of that.

To be blunt, if you can't afford the insurance, you can't afford the car / bike.

If you are genuinely just borrowing mummies corsa to nip round your mates/down the shops, then rock on as that's all fine and dandy.

The really funny ones you can spot a mile away is the 60 year old mother driving around some $hitwagon Corsa with a 18inch "fox" alloys, big exhaust, tinted windows and humongous stereo... if you really think insurance companies are that stupid, by all means continue. Laughing
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

skinny
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 16 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only did this when living at home and driving a cortina Mk5 so don't see how any insurence company would be able to prove anything?
____________________
oops I did it again....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
Lady P wrote:
bike NCB dosnt count


I am finding this the MOST frustrating thing.

But considering I have been driving for over 30 years (just not in the last 3 or 4) ... I am well annoyed that they refuse to accept my bike NCB.

When I told them I had 4 years NCB, it came down to about £600 for both of us, but when I said it was for a bike, not a car, it jumped back up, as on a car policy, I have no NCB at all.

Even the company I have my bike insured with won't consider it, grrr.


Carol nash will mirror your bike no claims for the car.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

thegubner
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 01 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Nice Guy wrote:


You can take the risk and lie and squirrell out of it, but it is not legal and should the worst happen and you have a bad smash, the insurance company WILL dig into your circumstances and if they can show you have been telling porkies your insurance is VOID.



Which is fair if people lie, but I didn't, when we did the policy we answered the question....."who will be driving the car the most?"

With two options in a drop down menu,

1) the proposer

2) named driver

We clicked named driver and also as said we told the truth about the car being kept at my postcode over night most of the time.

We live 250 miles apart, this never caused a problem, my mother even confirmed the details over the phone with the insurance company which was elephant.

No porky pies told, so no amount of digging would have shown up any porky pies.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 68 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.67 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 136.44 Kb