Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Tibia fractures and recovery

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

mr jamez
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 04 Aug 2008    Post subject: Tibia fractures and recovery Reply with quote

I'm off to hospital tommorow for a check up on my broken tibia, the effort involved in getting the bus and crutching to the Berks aside, I'm bricking it! I /really/ don't want to hear that my bones aren't knitting back together, I'm starting to realise how serious it is now Confused

Anyway, for those among us who have had a similar injury I'm just wondering how long it took for the bones to heal, what about getting strength back in the muscles? and have you healed 100% without a limp or limited movement.

From reading around on the 'net it looks like a full year or so for everything to be good again.
____________________
NSR 125F > BROS 400 > NC30 > BROS 400 > Trumpet S4 > '97 VFR 750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

-Savage-
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 04 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broke my tib and fib oct 2006. Got 3 screws to hold it together. Was able to walk(-ish) with the cast on, and then was on a walking stick until around may. Still have a bad limp, poor strength and alot of pain, but mostly due to another knee injury preventing me from doing physio at the moment.
____________________
My Bikes - - - Royal Enfield 500 with sidecar, VFR800, CBR600FX,
Peugeot Speedfight 100, Kymco Hipster 125, GSXR750K5, Jawa TS 350
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MaybeGuy
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:34 - 04 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i broke my tib and fib as above on new year 2005.
it was pinned down the middle from knee to ankle with 4 screws and i didnt have a cast, and i was told to light weight bear after 2 days of the accident (did it in switzerland, hence the crazyness).

turns out the crazy swiss did an awesome job of mending it!

3 months later, walking about using 1 crutch just for when it hurt a bit, then after that i carried on as normal.

i had a bit of twingey pain up to a year after the accident.

i broke it in my last year of school, and then moved onto a very sports oriented course at college, and i have to say that helped to no end.

at the moment, its healed 100%, with no movement limited. the metalwork is still in there, but it would be a lot of hassle to remove, so its probably staying.

dont worry about it! when i first started back at school, it was 3-4 weeks ish after the accident. i played badminton in PE on one leg, and i could feel the bone still moving around a bit.

you only broke the tib, so its being held in place by the fib, so it will heal faster, and get back to 100% again pretty soon.

takes time

time is a cunt

deal with it

PS: broke how?
____________________
Blue_SV650S wrote: it was a sh1te wheelie, but it proves that he can get it up in 3rd and can do angles. In summery, mattsprattuk is a gobby little sh1tebag, dopehead tw4t, but sadly for all of us, he probably isn't THAT full of sh1te!! Mr. Green
Kickstart wrote: Hi I tend to agree with Matt. All the best Keith
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:06 - 04 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends massively on how it was broken...I shattered my tibia ten months ago near the ankle joint (6 pieces) - the doctor said that if it had been a clean snap they could have just stuck a nail down the length of the bone and I would have been able to walk on it the next day.

These things do take time. I had an external fixator for six months and I've only been off crutches since May. The leg is very tempremental now...I still limp a lot and walking can be incredibly painful (largely due to muscle wastage and the scar tissue from the fixator, the fracture site still gets sore and swollen sometimes too). I can't walk very far at all. It gets better and worse, but it seems to slide when I don't keep up with my exercises and when I'm more active - I've been working as a courier lately and it's really not doing me any good whatsoever physically. I find I have to manage the situation really - if I have a period of activity then I'll pay for it afterwards.

As for bones healing, with me nothing much happened for a few months. It was very frustrating - I'd turn up for my appointment wondering if they're going to take the metalwork off my leg only to be told it looks exactly the same as it did six weeks ago. But then after a few months it all started to knit together quite rapidly...so slow progress at the start isn't necessarily a trend. Muscles - well, when I had my first physio appointment a month or so ago I had 2" less muscle on my left leg, but only a couple of weeks later doing exercises etc I had regained a lot of muscle and strength. Walking became easier and less painful. I'm suffering now because I've been too busy (moving) to think about physio (bad I know) so it's important to keep that up. You get out what you put in, I think.

Full recovery? Depends on the injury. If it's a compound fracture or really one which was severe enough to require surgery then you're unlikely to ever make a complete recovery, but 90% or so is probably realistic within I would guess one to three years entirely depending on the severity of the injury and what you put into it etc. Of course location is important too - if it's near any joints it's going to be more difficult and a lot more painful.

Just try not to let it get you down! There are always positives you can take away from any situation like this. BTW, you should be eligible for hospital transport. You shouldn't have to take the bus!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:18 - 05 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsprattuk wrote:


you only broke the tib, so its being held in place by the fib, so it will heal faster, and get back to 100% again pretty soon.

PS: broke how?


I broke the fibula as well. I posted about the accident in the spills counter thread.

repiV wrote:
I guess it depends massively on how it was broken...I shattered my tibia ten months ago near the ankle joint (6 pieces) -


I busted mine probably a 3rd of the way up from my ankle, not a clean snap sadly. Although there are lots of little bits (lumpy leg) it wasn't over a massive area like some I have seen.

Are you working as a motorcycle courier now?

The appointment went well, the bones are knitting together so that is encouraging but it is another 6 weeks until my next appointment. I am allowed to start gradualy building up to full load bearing as well Smile
____________________
NSR 125F > BROS 400 > NC30 > BROS 400 > Trumpet S4 > '97 VFR 750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 05 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:


I busted mine probably a 3rd of the way up from my ankle, not a clean snap sadly. Although there are lots of little bits (lumpy leg) it wasn't over a massive area like some I have seen.


That's good to know. Near joints equals pain, restricted movement and arthritis. A lot of my problems actually come from my ankle and due to the fact that one of the fixator rods went right into my ankle joint. Hopefully you should avoid these issues.

Quote:

Are you working as a motorcycle courier now?


Yeah, just for a few weeks to pay the bills as I've got a job in Exeter to start later in the month. Not working today as I just got back from looking at flats. Wink

It's been quite difficult physically, mainly the constantly getting on/off the bike, the walking involved etc. But riding a bike should be fine once you have enough strength to mount and dismount the bike, I found it did wonders for my leg initially. It was difficult and agonising to get on and off but after a week it was easy...and using the gears has done wonders for my ankle.

But when you overdo it, it hurts and you're out of action for a while. I dropped the bike at 2mph a couple of weeks after I started riding again, it fell to rest on the metal sole of the boot on my bad leg. It swelled up like mad and I couldn't stand on the leg for a few days. Little things like that will affect you a lot more.
Likewise, when you can bear weight properly again but it's still sore don't try walking long distances to catch the bus etc. because it will be agonising and you'll have to rest then for a couple of days.

Quote:

The appointment went well, the bones are knitting together so that is encouraging but it is another 6 weeks until my next appointment. I am allowed to start gradualy building up to full load bearing as well Smile


Yep, it's good news and hopefully you'll be back to full functionality soon enough. As you don't have an external fixator that will help your recovery time no end as well. The six week waits are always frustrating but now I find myself actually reminiscing about those times as all I had to worry about was healing, watching TV, reading and sleeping. If you look at it as a kind of holiday you might even be able to enjoy it. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:00 - 05 Aug 2008    Post subject: Re: Tibia fractures and recovery Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
II'm bricking it! I /really/ don't want to hear that my bones aren't knitting back together, I'm starting to realise how serious it is now Confused


Comes down to luck to an extent, but don't let them fob you off. Charlotte broke her femur in a car accident and was on crutches for 7 years, largely due to the original hospital making a mess of pinning it and then just ignoring the problem.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

mr jamez
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Aug 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:19 - 05 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus christ 7 years?! did you sue?

Repiv, I will be getting back on the bike in a week or so which should keep the negative feelings at bay. I was actualy considering quitting my job after I got back from my bike trip, so having all this time off with a bit of sick pay isn't so bad Laughing

Good luck with the leg dude Thumbs Up
____________________
NSR 125F > BROS 400 > NC30 > BROS 400 > Trumpet S4 > '97 VFR 750
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:45 - 05 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:
Jesus christ 7 years?! did you sue?


Pretty much impossible. From the legal advice we not only had to prove that they screwed up (easy), but that if they hadn't screwed up it would have been better which is just about impossible to do.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:13 - 06 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
mr jamez wrote:
Jesus christ 7 years?! did you sue?


Pretty much impossible. From the legal advice we not only had to prove that they screwed up (easy), but that if they hadn't screwed up it would have been better which is just about impossible to do.

All the best

Keith


Surely there are medical statistics stating that a broken leg does not take 7 years to mend.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:28 - 06 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Surely there are medical statistics stating that a broken leg does not take 7 years to mend.


Not really relevant as they do not apply to her broken leg, or say that their actions had resulted in it not healing.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

repiV
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 15 May 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 06 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr jamez wrote:

Repiv, I will be getting back on the bike in a week or so which should keep the negative feelings at bay. I was actualy considering quitting my job after I got back from my bike trip, so having all this time off with a bit of sick pay isn't so bad Laughing


Yeah, that should help a lot. That's how I gauged that I had recovered really, when I was able to ride a bike and go back to work. I guess if you're a sporty and active person it's not that simple but personally while the mobility problems can be frustrating, I don't let it affect my mood.

Quote:

Good luck with the leg dude Thumbs Up


Cheers. Hope the return to riding goes well. Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 62 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.83 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 85.23 Kb