Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


YBR125 - 2005 or 2007

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Should I get the 2005 or 2007 model?
2005 YBR 125 with Topbox and Alarm @ ?1100
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
2007 YBR 125 with Fuel Injection @ ?1200
60%
 60%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 20

Author Message

Herbalrick
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:12 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: YBR125 - 2005 or 2007 Reply with quote

I just passed my CBT yesterday and I am trying to decide which bike to get. I have a budget of around £1200 and I have found a couple of Yamaha YBR 125’s for sale privately. I have 2 which I am trying to decide between:

1. 2005, 4500 miles, perfect condition, alarm, topbox - £1100
2. 2007, 1200 miles, perfect condition - £1200

Both have been garaged and don’t have a spot of rust on them. I know the 2007 model has got fuel injection whereas the 2005 model is carburettor, but I can’t find any other differences.

Is it worthwhile buying the slightly older bike as it includes a £130 top box and a (£100?)alarm?

Cheers,

Rich
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

flimbar
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:20 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want a bike to ride before you take your test and then move on to a bigger bike then I'd get the 2007 model as you'll get more for it when you sell it on.

If you want a bike to use indefinitely as a cheap commuter then I'd get the 2005 one as it is already kitted up.
____________________
Yamaha YBR125 > Suzuki SV650S > Suzuki DL650 V-Strom > Honda CBR600F > Honda ST1300 Pan European
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Peter3hg
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:32 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2005 has around 20% more power (2hp) which may be worth considering.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:09 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007 has the advantages of no choke and no fuel tap IIRC, no need to warm it up, you just get on and ride it. You could ride the 2005 with choke on but it's a pain to get to it when you're rolling. Not sure on reliability of fuel injection vs carb. Maybe cheaper to get carb fixed/replaced? My 2006 YBR hasn't caused me any trouble and the extra 2bhp poke is good. You need every bit of power you can get with bikes of this size. From what I've seen from bike ads/dealers, both versions sell at similar prices. I'd go for the 2005 as it has a top box and alarm too. Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JockyT
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:11 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be get the 07 with FI - sounds like it's a good price - make sure the first 600 mile oil change was done though..

The choke on the carb version is difficult to get at and compared with FI, chokes are a pain.

Other differences are better looking exhaust, wheels, graphics and a side stand.

A top box is not much use as the rack it's fitted to has a low weight limt and it will affect the ride. I don't think an alarm is much use on this size of bike - better to chain it to something large and immoveable.

JT
____________________
Current Bikes:
YBR125 - low running cost commuter
XJ600s - a bit dull but cheap and reliable first big bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

FerretFing
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:53 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

does your budget include insurance? + do you have all your gear sorted? I always add £200 on the cost of a used bike because there`s usually something that needs sorting (chain, tyres etc) - lots of hidden extra costs with biking - be prepared & good luck Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Peter3hg
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:07 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockyT wrote:

A top box is not much use as the rack it's fitted to has a low weight limt and it will affect the ride.


I had a 45 litre Givi top box on mine. It looked huge on the bike, but even with a fair bit of weight in, it didn't affect the ride to any great extent. This was riding 70 miles commute a day on mainly reasonably twisty NSL roads. Just set the pre load higher on the rear shocks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Herbalrick
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:36 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys. Some excellent opinions so far.

I never realised the 2005 model has 2hp more.

I am planning on doing my A2 License as soon as but I think I might actually keep this bike for a while as its going to be used as a commuter and I’m pretty short and skinny (5’6” and 58kg) so the engine shouldn’t have to work too hard to get me going.

My full budget is £1500 for bike, insurance and textile jacket. I have a helmet and a good pair of goretex trousers already. I also have not tried bartering for the bikes yet and they are private sales so the prices may be negotiable.

Unfortunately I live in a not so great area of London which bumps my best insurance quote to £291 TPFT with MCE.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:27 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2007 model wont need a manual choke as it has an automatic one, I personally would probably get the 2005 one
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JockyT
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:43 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are commuting the top box would proabably come in handy but they aren't expensive to buy.

I also wasn't aware the carb version has 2hp more than the FI - are we sure about this?

JT
____________________
Current Bikes:
YBR125 - low running cost commuter
XJ600s - a bit dull but cheap and reliable first big bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Peter3hg
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:03 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

JockyT wrote:

I also wasn't aware the carb version has 2hp more than the FI - are we sure about this?

JT


Definitely. 12bhp versus 10bhp.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
K0rnIsAFAGGOT This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Peter3hg
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:24 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanielSON wrote:
I'd get a cushion aswell, your arse is going to HURT.


Why? I weigh nearly 20 stone and did an hours commute to Uni and never had any issues with discomfort. The seat has plenty of padding.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
K0rnIsAFAGGOT This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:39 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The choke is a real pain on the ybr.

I wouldn't worry about the top box unless you have a real need for it (eg long commutes, in all weathers)

I just have a large cargo net and a holdall. It's good for my food shopping, carrying stuff to work, etc, and it isn't there "permanantly" (combine it with a largish rucksack and you're set)

Top boxes look shit as well.
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Peter3hg
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 21 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:52 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a few weeks you get used to the position of the choke and can easily turn it off on the move even wearing thick winter gloves. It's not as big an issue as some people seem to think.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

YZFR1IAN
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:33 - 26 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter3hg wrote:
After a few weeks you get used to the position of the choke and can easily turn it off on the move even wearing thick winter gloves. It's not as big an issue as some people seem to think.


True I had no problems turning the choke on/off whilst moving when I had a YBR.
____________________
05 Yamaha YBR125 > 94 Honda CB500 > 98 Honda Hornet 600 > 02 Yamaha R6 > 2000 Yamaha R1 > 2000 Yamaha XJR1300SP > 2000 Honda CBR929RR Fireblade
MY BIKES Past & Present
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Herbalrick
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok well I’ve decided on the 2005 model, I’m going to see if the guy can throw in his chain as well as he is leaving the country and giving up biking.
I know that some of you are going to be screaming at the screen for not heeding your advice but I think the alarm and topbox are probably worth going for an older bike. Also I agree with Peter3HG, the choke doesn’t look too hard to adjust.
I’m off to pick it up tonight Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:27 - 27 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice! The accessories you get make it worth it in itself, if they are things you need, although if it was a choice between the two bikes at the same price with no accessories, I may consider the 2007 model...

The choke isn't too bad to adjust, but if you have thick gloves on and you're riding, it can be a bit tricky. With practice though you'll be fine. I personally warm the bike up and ride after I've turned the choke off. I do my POWDER checks whilst it's warming up.

Lack of sidestand on the 2005 model could be a good thing as accidents can be caused by riding away with the side-stand down (as soon as you corner, that's it). Side-stands can also fail (the springs go) apparently but I've never seen it personally. Wouldn't like to have that happen during a ride, but I don't know if it's just a myth. It's no biggie using the centre-stand anyway.
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Herbalrick
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 26 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 28 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well its runs like a dream, the choke aint that hard to adjust and to put the icing on the cake. . . the alarm system which he forgot to tell me about is a META M357TV2 (great reviews in MCN and costs £299) the top box is a GIVI Simply II with backrest and brake light.

I think I made a good choice.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:54 - 28 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bargain! Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

neil.
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:45 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna dig this up again as this is important:

You've got the 2005 YBR so watch out that it doesn't still have the stock death-trap nylon Sakura tyres. I suspect they put those on, being nylon, so that they last a long time. A shame nylon offers no grip. Evil or Very Mad If it does have them, replace em with Pirelli City Demons or Michelin Pilot Sporty's. I rode mine around on the Sakuras for a couple of months and they were awful in any condition. Had to be very gentle on the brakes in the wet, the wheels would lock if you farted in their general direction... After putting on the Pirelli's, I noticed a million-fold improvement. £60 a pair on eBay. Well worth it. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
____________________
CBT February 2008 | A2 June 2008 | Yamaha YBR125 (written off) | Honda CBF125 (current)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:30 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the CG have superior specs on pretty much everything?

Disclaimer: I read that on here so it's probably bollocks Laughing
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Percy
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 26 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You've got the 2005 YBR so watch out that it doesn't still have the stock death-trap nylon Sakura tyres. I suspect they put those on, being nylon, so that they last a long time. A shame nylon offers no grip. If it does have them, replace em with Pirelli City Demons or Michelin Pilot Sporty's. I rode mine around on the Sakuras for a couple of months and they were awful in any condition. Had to be very gentle on the brakes in the wet, the wheels would lock if you farted in their general direction... After putting on the Pirelli's, I noticed a million-fold improvement. £60 a pair on eBay. Well worth it.


I've heard several good comments on this site about the Michelin Pilot Sporty's.
Are you using tubes or the tubeless version? I found on Michelin's web site that they have both.
____________________
New bike owner
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

luke27
Nova Slayer



Joined: 15 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 26 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Percy wrote:
Quote:
You've got the 2005 YBR so watch out that it doesn't still have the stock death-trap nylon Sakura tyres. I suspect they put those on, being nylon, so that they last a long time. A shame nylon offers no grip. If it does have them, replace em with Pirelli City Demons or Michelin Pilot Sporty's. I rode mine around on the Sakuras for a couple of months and they were awful in any condition. Had to be very gentle on the brakes in the wet, the wheels would lock if you farted in their general direction... After putting on the Pirelli's, I noticed a million-fold improvement. £60 a pair on eBay. Well worth it.


I've heard several good comments on this site about the Michelin Pilot Sporty's.
Are you using tubes or the tubeless version? I found on Michelin's web site that they have both.


I have the Michelin Pilot Sportys.
In the same size as the Yamaha YBR.
2.75 - 18 front
90/90 - 18 rear.

The tyres are tubeless and tube type.
It says so on the actual tyres.
So you can ether use them on a tubeless wheel without a tube.
Or if your wheel is tube type you can use a tube.

They are a brilliant tyre.
Massively better than the Pirelli City demons.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 345 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.37 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 130.94 Kb