Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Anyone own a Schuberth helmet?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Mal
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:23 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Anyone own a Schuberth helmet? Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy a new lid sometime soon, and am particularly interested in the ones with the integral flip down sun visor - I believe Caberg and Schuberth do them (there may well be others too). I'd prefer a full face rather than flip front, I've seen a couple of good reviews on the Schuberth S1's and I've also found a place selling them at around half price (£200 instead of £380), but I was wondering if anyone on here has had one and what they thought of it. Or if you've had another helmet that fits my bill, info on that would be gratefully received. Thumbs Up

Mal
____________________
Current: 2002 FJR1300, 1999 Thundercat, Previous: 1998 XVS650 Dragstar

"In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete - drawn, only to be washed away."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion



Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:41 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the C2 flip up.

A very good helmet. Nice and quiet and the sun visor works very well - as does the flip.

Feels very solid.

Mark
____________________
Current bikes: Honda ST1100 Pan European. Moto Guzzi V85 TT Travel
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:34 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'think' lee r on here has one, try sending him a pm Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:42 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

HJC do a sun visor lid that is full face. It looks like the best one out of the 'cheaper' makes.

Schuberth are supposed to be very good indeed, but also very expensive.

https://www.tyresonline.net/shop_details.asp?productID=854&productName=HJC_FS-10_Multi-Fibre_Full_Face_Helmet_with_Integral_Sun_Visor_(Plain_Graphic)

HJC FS10 is the model I was thinking of. I reckon that might well be my next lid.
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:51 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schubert are meant to be one of the best helmet manufacturers, my dad borrowed one when his broke in germany and now wants to buy one. I think all the coppers use them too.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wil
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:13 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a HJC lid with a sun visor. It was around £150 I think. The visor is ok, its not particularly dark but it does help with glare, and its easy to use. I've had a few instances where the mechanism has played up and not locked in place without some jiggling, but most of the time its been ok. Its prone to leaking through the sun visor mechanism though and its not particularly quiet.
____________________
'07 Triumph Speed Four

Aw look, a baby driving a car. And look, there's a dog driving a bus!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:10 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

S1 at £200 is a bargain, mine was £320. Fabulous helmet, so quiet and comfy, very cocoon like. Very warm in the winter, perhaps a bit too warm, as the visor can mist, so I have to keep it a bit ajar. I need to put a breathguard on it, so that should do the trick.

The sun visor is brilliant, I've never had any problems in releasing it or putting it back up on either of my Schuberths. Great for those sunny days when you know you'll be riding in shade or tunnels.

I've also got the J1, the open face helmet, and that is amazingly quiet too, even at fast speeds. Well, when I say fast, I mean up to 70mph. Embarassed
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wil
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:12 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know what the relative fitment sizes are like on these Shuberth lids? I fancy ordering an S1, and I use a medium size HJC, just wondering what size to order.
____________________
'07 Triumph Speed Four

Aw look, a baby driving a car. And look, there's a dog driving a bus!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:20 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu need to try one on, as it could be that the shape doesn't fit your head at all.
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mal
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:30 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Schuberth's head office to try and find a dealer near me to try on the helmets and apparently Oxford is their UK distributor. There's a page on their website here that allows you to search for shops near you - and you can filter it for the Schuberth dealers. Thumbs Up

Mal

*edit* I can't remember where I found the S1's for £200 so I'll post that up when I get home.
____________________
Current: 2002 FJR1300, 1999 Thundercat, Previous: 1998 XVS650 Dragstar

"In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete - drawn, only to be washed away."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wil
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:12 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in some big bike shop in Swindon sorting out gear for my brother last weekend and they had Schuberth lids, but didn't get a chance to try one on... Will need to pop back over at some point, I don't think my local (Fowlers Bristol) keeps them.
____________________
'07 Triumph Speed Four

Aw look, a baby driving a car. And look, there's a dog driving a bus!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal wrote:
*edit* I can't remember where I found the S1's for £200 so I'll post that up when I get home.


Infinity. They often have sales on.
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

acwman
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:07 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Schuberth S1 and the C1.

Both very quiet helmets.. The S1 slightly quieter. Both extremely comfortable. First thing what I noticed about the C1 is the great field of vision it has over the more sportier helmets.

The sun visor on both are both very good, and easy to operate even whilst riding.

On bikes with an upright seating position.. ie touring.. I found that the vent on top of the lid, if it is open, causes turbulance inside the helmet, and makes it very noisy (Both S1 and C1).. and I find it actually too noisy unless I close it, or wear ear plugs... On a sportsbike, I haven't had this noise problem.

Well made, and quality looks and feels very nice. The Visor although has an anti mist coating still mists up, and I just ended up fitting a pinlock to prevent this.



Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Two thumbs up..
____________________
BMW R1200GS & Honda Fireblade 929RR
Bikes owned -Yamaha R1+akrapovic, Ducati 749S, Power Commander + Termi's,Buell XB12R - with race kit, GSXR600-K4 Titanium Scorpion end Can, ZXR400, RS125, Cagiva Mito, RS50, RG125, ER50, FS1E. https://www.bikepics.com/members/acwman/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mal
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:58 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paivi wrote:
Infinity. They often have sales on.


Nice one Paivi, though annoyingly their limited sizes don't include mine! Grrrr! Not the place I'd found which was Bike-smart who are a little more expensive on the S1 but cheaper on the R1.

Mal
____________________
Current: 2002 FJR1300, 1999 Thundercat, Previous: 1998 XVS650 Dragstar

"In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete - drawn, only to be washed away."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:55 - 09 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

beatnck2 wrote:
I 'think' lee r on here has one, try sending him a pm Thumbs Up


Here's my review what I wrote earlier on another thread:

Quote:

I want a new lid (must be quiet)

c-m wrote:
Anyone got a Schuberth? Are they really that quiet or is it marketing?

what sort of weight are they?


I have an S1, 2007 model, yes they are that quiet, they weigh 1500g.

Whilst I'd say they were worth it, they are peculiar in shape and you will have to pay between £250 - 300 for a plain one.

The new 2008 model is reputedly quieter than the 2007 model that I have. The noisiest part on an S1 is the top vents which whistle in a cross-wind, head on they're fine but the whistle in a pain without plugs. Incidentally they've changed the vents on the 2008 model which has probably sorted the whistle. I usually never ride without plugs as I commute 40 miles at 70mph+. However on a shorter ride one day I forgot to put plugs in and for the first time noticed the whistle. The new model is apparently more versatile, with a removable chin insert, and headband. All the models have removable, washable liners, zero lift aerodynamics, and retain a good tight fit over time.

I tried the latest model on at Hein Gericke last week and loved it, but I only bought my current one less than a year ago. It was a big leap financially but for saving me from noise fatigue and headaches I can't fault it. To put it in perspective the Schuberth S1 is only as noisy at 90mph as a Nolan N84 is at 50mph it's that good. I appreciate that you may be reluctant to spend that much but I am so glad I made the decision, if I'd persisted with the Nolan or bought another brand I may have regretted it and would be spending the next two years waiting for a new helmet in some discomfort.

Try one on, make sure it's the new 2008 model, you can tell because it comes with a pinlock visor as standard (not the old Schuberth own coated visor). Try the R1 as well, personally I found it felt cheap and uncomfortable, but it is slightly less expensive.

I also use EAR 39SNR plugs the highest rating available. Thumbs Up


Hope this helps
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mal
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:26 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Lee, cheers for that. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Should get a chance to try one at the local dealers this weekend.

Mal
____________________
Current: 2002 FJR1300, 1999 Thundercat, Previous: 1998 XVS650 Dragstar

"In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete - drawn, only to be washed away."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Knacker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:47 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iv not used one on a bike but we did have a rep come in with some and they seem to fit nicely the flip front ones are very well made they dont feel flimsy at all Thumbs Up
____________________
Current: Gsxr 600 Srad - GS125 - DT125
Previous: K1 GSXR 1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Red Mick
Nova Slayer



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:39 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my S1 for about three years now. It took a long time to bed in to be comfortable, but now it's fine.
I like the internal visor, but for me it's too dark to ride with so I use it as a sun shade, it also works better IMO when the visor is reversed to leave a straight edge to it.

I have found that over time, the helmet seems to sit lower on my head and the top vent doesn't give the ventilation it used to.

I had issues with the internal coating on the main visor, which was peeling off. Schuberth sent me a new visor when I complained. IMO the coating doesn't work, I'm still looking for a solution to the misting as Fog City won't fit, according to the distributors. I didn't realise PinLock would though, so I may try that. I find that riding with the visor cracked open is OK usually, but the thunderstorm I rode in last week defeated everything I tried, to the extent that I had to abandon the ride.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:56 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick the new S1 pro visor with pin-lock will fit your "old" S1, and they also do a 60% brown tint inner visor altough it says R1 it's the same part number as the one listed in the S1 manual. I bought one last month and I really liked it as it was a lot lighter than the 80% tint that comes fitted, unfortunately I broke it so I've got to buy a new one for the winter. Sad
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kris
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:11 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:
HJC do a sun visor lid that is full face. It looks like the best one out of the 'cheaper' makes.

Schuberth are supposed to be very good indeed, but also very expensive.

https://www.tyresonline.net/shop_details.asp?productID=854&productName=HJC_FS-10_Multi-Fibre_Full_Face_Helmet_with_Integral_Sun_Visor_(Plain_Graphic)

HJC FS10 is the model I was thinking of. I reckon that might well be my next lid.


If that helmet is anything like the slightly cheaper HJC I bought recently for the missus (this one) then it'll be noisy as feck..

Thumbs Down
____________________
NSR125RR - ZXR750H1 - ZX9R E1 - GSF600S - GSF600SK3 - VFR400-NC30 - SV1000N - ST1100-R - CBR900RR-R - GSF1200SK5 - GSF600SK1 - VFR1200FA - GSXR1000K2 - ZZR1400 D8F
www.prisonplanet.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mal
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:35 - 10 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a link at home to an online retailer doing S1 pinlocked visors for £40 and the pinlock insert for about £18. Not sure on their postage costs, will add the link when I get home from work this evening.
____________________
Current: 2002 FJR1300, 1999 Thundercat, Previous: 1998 XVS650 Dragstar

"In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete - drawn, only to be washed away."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mal
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 05:12 - 12 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's that link I promised in my above post...


Clicky


Mal
____________________
Current: 2002 FJR1300, 1999 Thundercat, Previous: 1998 XVS650 Dragstar

"In the end we're all just chalk lines on the concrete - drawn, only to be washed away."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:01 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I bought one of the S1 60% visors, my second actually as I ruined the first cleaning it. Well at least I thought I'd ruined it but now it looks as though it's just a very sensitive product.

The 60% visor has the same moisture repellant coating as the 80% tint. However, unlike the 80% tint visor it seems as though you're not supposed to handle the 60% tint visor at all. I can't believe it, it came out of the packet with smeary marks on it (as the first had), so I rinsed it in cold clean water as proscribed by Schuberth. Then I fitted it and to clean my finger prints off I gently, I mean ooh so gently cleaned it with a cotton hanky. Unfortunately I caught the visor with my little finger nail and I've scratched the coating, I am absolutely furious with myself but more so with the sensitivity of the visor. I've had the 80% tint in and out and cleaned it regularly over the last year, but it has never scratched once. How can they make a product so unable to cope with daily usage?

I think I might especially given the cost.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 5 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.82 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 125.77 Kb