Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Calls for Creationism to be Taught in UK Science Lessons

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:03 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'word of god'...written by a human.

Yeah, I'll buy that for a dollar. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Ain't it a sad indicment of the human race that all religion is founded on the written word of some primitive men thousands of years ago. "God said this..."

If we had the words engraved on some monolith fabricated from an unknown and indestructible element they might be more credulous. But Abraham, the unwashed, sack-wearing savage with a quill and a bit of scruffy parchment? Get to fvck.

igiyf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:12 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mad man cant lick pussy for shit

told her not to mention that night to you Shocked

Alex-RS
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:10 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sooner they fire that hadron collider, the better. If it produces the expected results, the church aint got a leg to stand on when arguing with evolution.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:20 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

mad_man wrote:
Skudd wrote:
Ditto

Laughing ive met crack heads that make more sense than you.

I've met a few Princes who didn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:32 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex-RS wrote:
The sooner they fire that hadron collider, the better. If it produces the expected results, the church aint got a leg to stand on when arguing with evolution.

You can't 'argue' against faith.
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever people beleive, surely they wouldn't class creationalism as science. Science is how stuff works. Saying "he's magic" isn't how stuff works.

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:17 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonie wrote:
Whatever people beleive, surely they wouldn't class creationalism as science. Science is how stuff works. Saying "he's magic" isn't how stuff works.

Saying "I'd kick his fvcking head in" doesn't make you hard, but it doesn't stop you from saying it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

igiyf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've met a few Princes who didn't.

i dont disagree

https://www.pythonline.com/node/241833/files/pythonline/Prince-Charles-the-RED-701649.jpg

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 15 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep Anfield is a shit tip

Moonie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:47 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hetzer wrote:
Moonie wrote:

Saying "I'd kick his fvcking head in" doesn't make you hard, but it doesn't stop you from saying it.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That was mature. Since you mentoined it, want to prove I'm not a hardman? Laughing Rolling Eyes

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:09 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moonie wrote:

That was mature. Since you mentoined it, want to prove I'm not a hardman? Laughing Rolling Eyes

It wasn't mature, it was funny. Laughing

But not as funny as you asking me if I want to "prove it". Laughing Laughing Laughing

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 17:49 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7619670.stm

Quote:
Last week Prof Reiss - a Church of England minister - said creationism should be discussed in science lessons if pupils raised the issue.

He was criticised by other scientists - though misquoted as saying creationism should be "taught" in science classes.

Quote:
Prof Reiss, speaking at the British Association Festival of Science at the University of Liverpool, estimated that about one in 10 children was from a family which supported a creationist rather than evolutionary viewpoint.

He said his experience had led him to believe it was more effective to include discussion about creationism alongside scientific theories such as the Big Bang and evolution - rather than simply giving the impression that such children were wrong.

Sounds like his views were extremely sensible; rather than preaching creationism it sounds like he was advocating the best way to teach 'proper' science without alienating 10% of the nation's children by simply dismissing their beliefs outright.

We have plenty of virulently anti-religious types on these forums; did those of you who came from religious families abandon those beliefs because someone said to you "Your Dad's thick and talks shit", or was it because you slowly gathered enough evidence to make a reasoned decision for yourself?

Sounds like this guy - minister or not - was trying to implement this in science teaching.

Jaloopa
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 18:18 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I read the story was that he wanted people who (wrongly) think creationism is a science to be shown why it isn't. Seems like valid point of view, but I'd need more convincing that it could work. The key word is "Addressed" rather than "Taught"

Hetzer
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:38 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister James wrote:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/7619670.stm

Quote:
Last week Prof Reiss - a Church of England minister - said creationism should be discussed in science lessons if pupils raised the issue.

He was criticised by other scientists - though misquoted as saying creationism should be "taught" in science classes.

Quote:
Prof Reiss, speaking at the British Association Festival of Science at the University of Liverpool, estimated that about one in 10 children was from a family which supported a creationist rather than evolutionary viewpoint.

He said his experience had led him to believe it was more effective to include discussion about creationism alongside scientific theories such as the Big Bang and evolution - rather than simply giving the impression that such children were wrong.

Sounds like his views were extremely sensible; rather than preaching creationism it sounds like he was advocating the best way to teach 'proper' science without alienating 10% of the nation's children by simply dismissing their beliefs outright.

We have plenty of virulently anti-religious types on these forums; did those of you who came from religious families abandon those beliefs because someone said to you "Your Dad's thick and talks shit", or was it because you slowly gathered enough evidence to make a reasoned decision for yourself?

Sounds like this guy - minister or not - was trying to implement this in science teaching.

I was made to go to sunday-school when I was around eight, but not because the old dear was religious, she just thought it would have a good influence on me. I got chucked out after a few sessions, for being "disruptive". I asked the wrong questions.

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 18:45 - 16 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Prof Reiss would've been quite useful for you then Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 266 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3