Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Bandit 1250s - Not as crap as I thought

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:58 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Bandit 1250s - Not as crap as I thought Reply with quote

Right as many of you know I had an accident 2 sundays ago and now have been given a hire bike. Looking at the company (BLD) website I see I had a few choices. I was either getting a SV1000 CBF1000 or bandit 1250s. The SV was top of my list and the CBF second. I had a the CBF600 and Bandit 650 as hire bikes after my last smash. I like the CBF alot more than the bandit and even considered buying one. Anyway after speaking to BLD I found out they had got rid of the CBF's and SV's and only had Bandits. I wasn't happy about this in the slightest. Having owned and ridden a bandit 600 and 650 respectively, I was less than impressed with them and the GS finally killed any respect I had for Suzuki. The Bandit turned up and 2 days without a bike already had me itching to get back on one. A shiney black bandit appeared with 10 miles on the clock! After a week and a half and about 300-400 miles this is what I think.

Engine

Easily the best part of the bike it fells very powerfull the net says it is just dipping under 100bhp the S4 is supposed to be about the same BHP wise the Bandit Feels far quicker this is the torque talking Laughing. The gears are silky smooth, maybe spending the past 6 months on a Yamaha Box has made be forget what it is like with a normal gearbox. The clutch is excellent too, I think the low engine power and newness of the bike add to it but it feels good and solid, I think this is the my first time on a hydrolic clutch. This bike pulls from 2k RPM all the way to the 9.5k redline

The only downside is the power delivery which TBH isn't really a downside, it is so smooth and to me it seems to lack character, as my dad put it it is like ridding a 1250cc sewing machine. Oh yeah that and the hidious fuel consumption 15litres over 100 miles half caining it Shocked I hit 155 on it, I think the top speed will be between 160-170

Comfort/Riding position

I wasn't happy at first, partly something new partly my sore bollocks (from the crash) the seat seems angled forward and is very hard. The bars, seem confused they are low and swept back almost feels like it should have clip ons. It is comfortable for a while but after that the hardness takes it out on your backside.

I feel the bars would be better to be highier up. and the seat softer.

Brakes

I have the Bandit SA the ABS model, the ABS works fine, but not nearly as good as the 02 Honda ABS on the CBF, you stamp on the rear at 60 and they is a lot of clunking of the brakes releasing and biting again the CBF clicked and did it faster. The brakes are ok the TDM and the S4 where better but I think this must be due to the weight dry it is 39kg more than the TDM and 59kg more than the S4 at 229kg dry, the only other thing is it feels like they need bleeding it has only 400 miles on max.

Handling

The handling is ok, the stock tyres are piss poor though Dunlop Sportmax D218 they're is no feel with them at all and the rear has let go a few times. The suspention feels good and I don't have much to complain about.

Looks and Finish

The paint work seems better than the other Suzuki's I have had but even after 10 miles I can see 2 spots of rust, yes it wouldn't take much to remove them but after 10 miles Shocked One is on the chain guard the other on the clutch lever. I like the looks of it it looks better than previous models the headlight it pretty good too. The clocks are simple but effective with analogue tacho, digital speedo with 2 trip, odo, fuel gauge and clock. The exhaust is massive but that seems the standard these days with emmisions and what not.

Overall, its an OK bike, I would never buy one as it doesn't do enough for me, it is alright up London better than the Speed Four I dare say but is not more fun, The TDM is a better bike in arguably a simlar class of bike. The Bandit RRP is £5799 the TDM £6099, I would pay the extra for the new TDM which also has ABS I have heard on the TDM forum that the TDM can be had new for £5000, I'm sure you can get a deal on a Bandit too. The only thing the Bandit has on the TDM is power which you really don't need the 80 or so BHP of the parrallel twin of the TDM is more than enough, plus it sounds emense with straight through cans. The weight is a downside you don't notice it so much when riding apart from when you are on the brakes but moving it about is a pain. For all it's flaws it is still an alright bike mostly saved by the engine. There is a GT version with full panniers full fairing and a SatNav which I know the hire company have I'm going to try and blag one of them next time they call me to check on the bike.

I thought a Bandit has a history as abit of a hooligan bike especially the 1200, but this feels like it has toned down, the ABS, the smooth engine and half fairing don't scream hooligan to me.

The comfort is not what you would expect of a sports tourer as the bandit is billed and it isn't a hooligan bike. If you want a tourer or commutor buy the TDM if you want a sports bike or a naked/half faired fun bike there are planty better choices out there.

Pics will follow if people are interested.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:53 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh yeah that and the hidious fuel consumption 15litres over 100 miles half caining it


Put that into perspective. How many cars that have the same performance can do 30 MPG
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:17 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hayabusa does more than that with a mix of bollocking it and reasonable speeds Confused
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.94 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 40.89 Kb