Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

EDF to buy British Energy?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs
View previous topic : View next topic  

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: EDF to buy British Energy? Reply with quote

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I heard on the news this morning that French state owned energy company EDF has put in a 12.5 billion pound bid for BE who own/run UK Nuclear power plants.

Now, I don't know a whole hell of a lot about big business, diplomacy and our relationship with France. But is it not a wee bit off handing over responsibility of our Nuclear power generation to another country?

I would've thought it was...

Neutral

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:17 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its their revenge for Agincourt

Mark

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:08 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we've already handed over most governmental responsability to Europe... Things are going to continue this way.

Bad thing? Guess we'll find out.
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:41 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just not comfortable with infrastructure being sold to the highest bidder, foreign or otherwise. Confused If its a bank or a TV company then fair enough, but a power company?

Mmm... The French could turn round and say for example, stop bastardising our delicious french cuisine or we'll turn all your lights out! Comprendez? Shocked

Wink

Davo
Davo To The Rescue!

PostPosted: 11:46 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
I'm just not comfortable with infrastructure being sold to the highest bidder, foreign or otherwise. Confused If its a bank or a TV company then fair enough, but a power company?

Wink

It's not just our nuclear plants, our major airports are in the hands of a spanish company (BAA) Shocked.

I personally don't believe that key infrastructure (e.g. power generation, telecoms & ports etc...) should be in the hands of a foreign organization.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:50 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The point I was trying to make, is that these companies are not 'foreign' any more. We are all Europeans now - this is ultimately no more disturbing than say, a Scottish company controlling English water supplies.
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

igiyf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:52 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh in all the "EU Conspiracy" videos that scream over and over why the EU is bad..it states again and again that Britain is seen as a powerful force and needs to be bought down from within..taking ALL powers away and handing them abroad..buying it out and closing its independence down..could just be a coincidence though..more than likely is Cool

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:18 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColdInsomnia wrote:
We are all Europeans now

I'm not.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:59 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:

Mmm... The French could turn round and say for example, stop bastardising our delicious french cuisine or we'll turn all your lights out! Comprendez? Shocked

Wink

Comprenez. No d.

Mr. Green

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:13 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ni n'a demandé ni a voulu votre avis vous larve puante.

Wink

Maintenant je tournerai tous vos lightbulbs anglais au loin

Laughing

I reckon these online translator things just churn out crap, after all, who'd know if you're having to use a translator in the first place. Cool

On being European, did we not become 'more' European when the UK signed that treaty? You may be more European than you think...

Thumbs Up

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:23 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you didnt want my opinion Wink

However, that is some poor french right there Laughing

Je suis fatigant de les mauvais capacites linguistiques!

(Thats not the best french either, but I dont have my gf around to help so shush Laughing )

Damn it! We ARE fuckin' european! Surprised Meh, at least more sex, booze and drugs should be available.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:30 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the idea of being European in some respects, they're more laid back in certain areas for example. One could argue that they are much better looking in places too... Cool

I just don't want a Frenchman with his hand round the lever that controls Britains ability to see at night!

Thumbs Up

(I am tiring of the bad linguistic capacities... Oooh get you!!! Wink )

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:45 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
ColdInsomnia wrote:
We are all Europeans now

I'm not.

+1. No traitors in our household Very Happy

colin1
Captain Safety

PostPosted: 17:15 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: EDF to buy British Energy? Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I heard on the news this morning that French state owned energy company EDF has put in a 12.5 billion pound bid for BE who own/run UK Nuclear power plants.

Now, I don't know a whole hell of a lot about big business, diplomacy and our relationship with France. But is it not a wee bit off handing over responsibility of our Nuclear power generation to another country?

Neutral

I dont think its a problem and in fact, as france has loads of nuclear power stations I think their expertise would be useful.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:21 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think their motivation is that altruistic to be honest. Yes, they are advanced in nuclear power but in terms of diplomatic leverage, owning all our Nuclear power stations is something of a card up the sleeve is it not?

Eon is also owned I think by the french, its getting to the point where our energy supply is being managed entirely by foreign powers.

If EDF wasn't state owned I might be less suspicious, you could then argue that its entirely a capitalistic profit-led move...

I just think certain things should be state owned, including things like nuclear power stations and as mentioned; airports. Infrastructure...

Thumbs Up

igiyf
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:26 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:
I don't think their motivation is that altruistic to be honest. Yes, they are advanced in nuclear power but in terms of diplomatic leverage, owning all our Nuclear power stations is something of a card up the sleeve is it not?

Eon is also owned I think by the french, its getting to the point where our energy supply is being managed entirely by foreign powers.

If EDF wasn't state owned I might be less suspicious, you could then argue that its entirely a capitalistic profit-led move...

I just think certain things should be state owned, including things like nuclear power stations and as mentioned; airports. Infrastructure...

Thumbs Up

i think we should stick loads of poles in the floor over a set distance and have our energy for free!

pigmo
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:29 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to see who's on the list of EDF shareholders.

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 19:48 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: EDF to buy British Energy? Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:

Plenty of our electric already comes from France. They have got an excess of electricity generating capacity while we don't have enough and also are likely to have less soon as more plants reach the end of their life expectancy.

pa_broon74 wrote:

Both Eon and RWE (owners of npower) are German.

All the best

Keith

WildGoose
White Van Man

PostPosted: 20:05 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Plenty of our electric already comes from France. They have got an excess of electricity generating capacity while we don't have enough and also are likely to have less soon as more plants reach the end of their life expectancy.

Indeed.

Was watching some program a while ago "Britain from Above" or something, explaining about our electricity supply, and the heavy responsibility of the man sat poised every evening to patch in more electricity from France, just as the nation got up from Eastenders, and 30 million homes put the kettle on simultaneously.

Therefore the BBC controls our electricity demands already, thats only half a step more desirable than the Frogs, if that.

What a joke.
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976

cestrian
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:01 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Re: EDF to buy British Energy? Reply with quote

pa_broon74 wrote:

Neutral

Nah, this is great news. The more of this shit happening, the better. In fact, anything that draws attention to the EU subsumption of Britain is a good thing. Don't take a pill, get real angry Cool

Mister James
I want to believe!

PostPosted: 22:52 - 24 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French owning our power stations isn't anything to do with the EU, it's just business. It's crap - but that's down to OUR government(s) neglecting Nuclear power because it looked back to the middle class lefty vote. The EU had fuck all to do with it.

The EU is a big pile of steaming shit that is helping to mess this country up - but this isn't an example of it, it's a home grown problem.

pa_broon74
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:50 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just reading the BBC's Have Your Say page (its so deliciously middle class... Cool )

There was a Frenchman asking which we'd rather be, a poodle of the US government or a partner with France... I take his point, France's foreign policy record (what I know of it) seems a lot better than others, it being much more measured and restrained.

I also take on board their expertise in the field, if any state owned entity is to take over our nuclear power gegeration I suppose the French are a good choice.

I do however despair at the mismanagement that has led this country into its current state. I'm all for globalisation, I'm even in favour of a united Europe (although not in this current top heavy corrupt form.)

On the 'subsumption' of Britain into Europe? I'm not too bothered about that, I don't feel particularly precious about being british anyway. If ever I go globe trotting* I'd never say, if any one asked where I was from, that I was British, I'd say Scottish.

I suppose as a continuation, it would be interesting to know who owns our main arms manufacturers? That would be an issue would it not?

Imagine for a moment we fall out with, say, Norway. We deploy our nuclear missile subs as a deterrant. But Norway won't back down (those crazy vikings Rolling Eyes ) We go to open our missile doors, but whats this!! They won't open!! 'Oh dear' we say as we see a smug Norwegian holding the keys to the missile doors that were manufactured in his country...

Gone are the days of conventional invasion using ground forces etc, you can just buy the country you're after now...

Thumbs Up

* I never go globe trotting.

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:05 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vote an entire overhaul of society.

We train our young ones to grow up strong, and to be able to think and fight.

Its pretty simple. We start off, by first of all learning to hunt again. All those massive supermarkets? Rip out their innards and get a small ecology growing. Wildlife, forests, alsorts in them things.

You turn up at the door, you pay, go to the changing rooms, out your office clothes and into your hunting gear.

A bow, and some arrows are provided, and a small 6inch knife, that if taken outside the door, disintergrates (safety first).

You hunt wild pigs, wrestle hogs and the odd panther, grab a few chickens, pick some vegetables whilst fending off a hoard of angry bees 'cos you stole their honey, and then milk a cow in a seperate room on the way out.

You get your office clothes back on, pick a trolley and wheel your winnings and dead animals to the car. You sort it all out, and cook it for yourself.

This silmultaneously solves:

a) Obesity will be solved. "Oh, but its a medical thi-" No. Its fucking not. Get in there, fatboy, and hunt a fucking pig, or you aint eating.

b) Our fear as a nation that we can't defend ourselves against attackers/youths/criminals. They'll think twice when theyre reaching inside your pocket and you turn, fire in your eyes, neck muscles bulging and screaming incoherently at them with an animal-like intensity. As a result, we become a hardier people, dependent upon less and less technology to get through life. We're still just as smart, but we dont fuckin' need stuff.

c) We will weed out the weak among our society. If you get skewered by a charging wild hog, you werent good enough in the first place, so deal with it, you fag.

You want Britain? "Come and fuckin' get her then, 'cos we aint going down without a fight," the nation will say.

Thumbs Up

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:16 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
You want Britain? "Come and fuckin' get her then, 'cos we aint going down without a fight," the nation will say.

In all honesty, if Britain was invaded at 7pm on a weekday, nobody would notice for hours. Unless the electricity was cut off.
John Lennon

Fawbish
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 25 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

"Whats that you've got on love? Emmerdale?"

"Nah, we're being invaded by russian seccesionist forces."

"Oh, lovely dear, whens Eastenders on?"
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 15 years, 257 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Politics & Current Affairs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1