Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Wearing Headphones while riding a motorbike - is this legal

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

VFR
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:32 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Wearing Headphones while riding a motorbike - is this legal Reply with quote

Hey, I am a fairly new motorcyclsits, that is to say that i have only had my license for 18 months. I am having a great time on the motorbike, but i miss listening to music when i travel.

Occasionally i plug in the ipod, but feel as though I am breaking the law. does anyone know what the "law" is about this? i cant see that it is elegal when you consider that blue tooth gadgets exist "scala" for example.

This might seem a trivial issue, but one which i do worry about, dont want to get caught listening to music if it means losing my license.

Your advice is appreciated
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Timmeh
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:36 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was illegal, then the same argument would be used against cagers listening to their stereos.

As for it being safe, which is totally a different thing, I'd say that in the background is ok, but not to the detriment of your spacial awareness. If something happens behind you, you're more likely to hear it before you see it.
____________________
GSXR400 x2 | '94 RVF400 | '93 TZR125 4DL (again)
20:22:30 BLUEX5: i would love to be forced to undergo a**l plugging with different sizes
20:48:18 Temeluchus: comp you hunk of smouldering homos3x you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattEMulsion
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:37 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is perfectly legal to listen to music whilst riding your bike. Thumbs Up
____________________
Yamaha YZF-R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:38 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

The earphones themselves are totally legal. If it affects your riding then you could possibly be looking at driving without due care and attention, but that would be on the strength of your riding, not the fact that you're wearing headphones.

Some here feel that music distracts from the riding, and personally I don't feel comfortable riding with both earbuds in, but I quite often have one earbud in for music on the go without blocking out the environmental sounds.
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

VFR
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, that makes sense. I am a very careful rider and conscious of safety. I feel better knowing that its not legal, but fully understand the cavviat about the riding ability! - thanks guys.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

VFR
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:45 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

clearly.. I mean " glad to know its not illegal!" Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:01 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Wearing Headphones while riding a motorbike - is this l Reply with quote

VFR wrote:
Hey, I am a fairly new motorcyclsits, that is to say that i have only had my license for 18 months. I am having a great time on the motorbike, but i miss listening to music when i travel.

Occasionally i plug in the ipod, but feel as though I am breaking the law. does anyone know what the "law" is about this? i cant see that it is elegal when you consider that blue tooth gadgets exist "scala" for example.

This might seem a trivial issue, but one which i do worry about, dont want to get caught listening to music if it means losing my license.

Your advice is appreciated


What a nice guy!!

Welcome to the forums chap. Thumbs Up
____________________
**WAS FITTED "WRONG WAY ROUND" !** CANT ACCOUNT FOR THE STUPID !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Quickly
Crazy Courier



Joined: 29 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it a few times and find that, though I feel just as safe and aware riding with earphones in, I actually make more mistakes. When I ride I'm focused totally on what I'm doing and when I have music to listen to that focus is inevitably split, as I'm processing both the riding information and the music information. It will of course be different for other people, but I'd say it would be a valuable lesson if, the next few times you go out with the phones in, you look at your riding and see if there are any trends - good or bad. You never know, it may relax you and thus improve your riding.
____________________
...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

VFR
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:30 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good tip, thank you. I suspect having had the music on a few times that i fall into the latter category. I really do think that it relaxes me and makes me a better rider. I take your point about being aware of the impact on the riding, and I'll pay closer attention see if there are any issues that arise.

Really greatful for the advise guys, appreciate it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Oliver_FF
Nova Slayer



Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a full Autocom intercom system with some chunky speakers that mount into your helmet so you can blast some music out (loud enough to be hard with 80mph head wind) without blocking the sounds of other things.

I can still hear police/ambulance sirens long before anyone in a car can. I was sat at some traffic lights a few weeks back right at the front waiting for the green when i thought i heard something. Listened hard and then it came again, so i dropped my side stand and swiveled on my seat, all these car drivers were probably thinking "what a nutter, what's he think he's doing??" then like 20 secs later this ambulance came tearing past and went straight through the junction because i was holding everyone up keeping the junction empty Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

s44678
Guest





PostPosted: 16:55 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some good advice as usual.

But for me, nothing beets the sweet sweet music of the wind battering your head and a dirty great big engine wailing at full chat underneath your bollocks Thumbs Up

If you need entertaining whilst riding, you obviously aren't riding hard enough Wink
 Back to top
You must be logged in to rate posts

VFR
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:58 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can very well believe you. I have to say that i had always planned my defence ( when i thought this was all illegal) to have someone test the max sound on an ipod. I am sure that the 80 MPH wind is somewhat louder and so much more menotonous than my little ipod that i would argue the ipod ensures that i stay awake!. I have resisted bluetooth devices that might allow me to speak on my phone, as i do think this would be a serious distraction for me ( personal choice) . I tend to do fairly long stints on the bike, i binned my car 18 months ago and now would not dream of getting back on 4 wheels ( although the winter settling in is making me re-think) Having some music on is so very important to me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:00 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autocom with automatic volume control ftw.

Loud when there's lots of wind noise, quiet when there isn't. Best thing ever.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

VFR
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:03 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skluff: i dare say that I will not contest you on this. Not really much of a speed man! - that is not to say that i dont "occasionally" feel the urge to push over 100! - but alas.. not for too long. with only 18 months experience I dont yet have the full confidence that will come in time. And at the risk of being banned from this site.. being on a bike is enough of an advantage without having to speed too much! - my rear tire wears right down the middle! and my knees remain very far from the tarmac! - Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

s44678
Guest





PostPosted: 17:08 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya Smile I've been fortunate enough not to have to make a tedious journey yet on the bike. But I could imagine any more than 10 mins on a motorway and you'd be bored shitless. Have been known to sing to myself to keep occupied so music probably isn't a bad idea.

I would probably go for some deep house or something with a fairly monotnous beat though, not some mental fusion jazz that keeps pestering your brain for attention every 5 mins.

But just my personal choice. Maybe theres another thread in there, music to ride to Smile
 Back to top
You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:08 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of my journeys I listen to my MP3 player.
Arai's I find noisey - so I plug my player in.
Its not too loud so I cant here nothing else around me.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:11 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I stopped at listening to music, I sing along as well as dance. Embarassed
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

VFR
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol - confession time! - i caught myself at traffic lights "doing a little dance" on the bike! - only then i panicked, since i thought listening to music was ilegal and my tapping feet and saddle shifting might give the game away as to what was going on in my lid! - Smile i now realise that i can tap my feet and dance till my heart is content without fear of jail! - assuming my dancing does not ammount to creating public dissorder?!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Paivi
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:23 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

VFR wrote:
...assuming my dancing does not ammount to creating public dissorder?!!

If it's a strip tease, it might...
____________________
My other bike's a Monster... Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

VFR
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 05 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

quite! - not that much of an extrovert! Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pete.
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's legal in the UK - but if you go touring don't wear them in France as they don't allow any kind of earplug speakers - not even Satnav ones.
____________________
a.k.a 'Geri'

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:48 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been sitting at lights before listening to some dance music with my OH in the car behind. Untill I got home they ask what I was listening too, as apparently I was bopping my head a lot Embarassed Laughing
So remember people are watching you Laughing Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

LankyPaddy
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 09 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
It's legal in the UK - but if you go touring don't wear them in France as they don't allow any kind of earplug speakers - not even Satnav ones.

Slightly OT but it's the same in France on the ski slopes, they don't let you wear headphones (unlike Canada).

Very useful topic this, thanks Thumbs Up
____________________
Say, do you have any Gatorade? I'm afraid I left all my electrolytes with your daughter.
Current bike: SV650S K8
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

st3v3
Super Spammer



Joined: 16 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:19 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just bear in mind that if you are involved in any accidents etc, you may be done for driving without due care & attention if listening at the time.

I do listen to mine on low volume because there is nothing factual verifying illegality but the chance always exists.
____________________
Roger wrote: Women don't get damp for clingy puppies. Get some better happy pills, hit the gym & buy a medallion the size of a dinner plate. Job done
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

c-m
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:58 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geri wrote:
It's legal in the UK - but if you go touring don't wear them in France as they don't allow any kind of earplug speakers - not even Satnav ones.


didn't know this, wore mine all throughout europe
____________________
Motorcycle headlight bulbs and HIDs
Blogging about my bike and trips
https://ridershandbook.com/
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.56 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 125.19 Kb