Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Take my lid off before fuel?! WTF!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:28 - 26 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

besaidben wrote:
i work in a petrol station, there r polite signs saying please remove helmet for safety reasons, i get called everyname under the sun, its a simple request, u can have ur visor up, im fine with that, but with visor down im not, just co-operate with us, simple!!!


If you're going to bring in stupid rules we won't shop with you, simple. Wink

Surely you said be aiming to please the customer? What are the safety reasons?
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jack_zxr400
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:06 - 26 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck tescos lol

I go to asda usually which is right near me but its paying till thing is just an island thing at the exit of the fueling station so i dont need to take my lid off.. then again if you drove off without payign they'd know about it

but afew times when I really needed to fill up I did it at Jet, Esso and Tesco's. Jet and Esso didnt ask me to but Tesco's did.. and they both had like shop things you walk into.

screw tesco's.. I dont shop there now either
____________________
Previous Bike: ZXR 400
Current Bike: R6
Test Date: 8/8/2008-PASSED
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:41 - 26 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

besaidben wrote:
signs saying please remove helmet for safety reasons


Bike helmets are designed to be safe already - what possible reason do you think you could pull out of your arse that would make anyone more safe by removing it?

All you're doing is fucking people about just because you think you can get away with it.

Think again.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

mattgirv
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 31 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:09 - 27 Jul 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked in a petrol station for a while that had this rule. I convinced all the staff that it was a bullshit rule and that anyone that wanted to steal fuel or hold up the place would do it regardless of wearing a helmet.

Fact is it isn't a bank and walking into a petrol station as a necessary port of call on your journey shouldn't have to warrant an undress.

This was proven day in and day out by the cars that drove off, and even people just walking in with jerry cans.

I don't think it is disregarding a rule as just not going out of your way to piss off customers that use your station and want to spend their money there.

Anyway recently I have noticed more and more garages in the south, especially Shells, have been putting pay at pump systems in. Now you don't even need to get off your arse.
____________________
Bikes: 1998 Honda VFR800Fi, 26,500 miles Laughing
1989 Honda CB-1, 38,000 miles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gr82bthe1st
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 30 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:59 - 06 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i believe that it is purely preference whether or not you take your lid off! it has nothing to do with manners, you can still be polite with your lid on! i usually take mine off out of habit, but if im in a rush, ill leave it on! i too have had this problem at tesco, i went in to pay, had the cash in my hand! obviously wasnt running anywhere, but the cashier decided to kick up a fuss... the way i see it is they are just holding up the queues! i stood in front of about 7 people at the desk, having to take my helmet off and ear phones and what not just so their cctv camera can get a look at my face, regardless that i had the cash ready in my hand!

since then, they havent really bothered saying anything when i walk in to pay becuase of how long it took the last time lol, but it all depends if you go there regularly or not becuase they may not remember you! Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

L-Jam
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:39 - 13 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread still going? Jesus.. I got asked to take my lid off the other day at about 11 in the night, which I did - not worth pooing over a 10 second lid removal. Fair enough if you've got ear plugs and that lark in though.

Thumbs Up
____________________
Journalist, student, egotist.
Click here if you're a young biker, wondering what to do after a moped/125!
Skp 50 --> GS 500 --> CBR600F with custom HRC paint jobby --> GSX-R 750 K7, beautiful!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Poseidon
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:31 - 15 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always use pay at pump... my theory being that it will make the monkeys behind the desk surplus to requirements and they'll be out of a job!!!

A rather optomistic view (in a very over-inflated sense of self imortance way) but it makes me feel better and it'll teach them to give service without a smile!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Ryandano
Borekit Bruiser



Joined: 02 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:47 - 15 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep fill up at Tesco and pay at the pumps, I go there to save points for my years subscription to RiDE. Only takes 119 quid spent at tesco to get enough points to get a years subscription... I'm going off topic. Pay at the pump is awesome Very Happy
____________________
Very Happy Theory Passed 50/50 Hazard Perception 65/75 23/05/08 C.B.T Passed 26/05/08 Practical Test A2 Passed 25/07/08 3 minors. BMW F650, Hornet 600, Piaggio X9, Piaggio Zip 100, Vespa ET2, Virago 535, Honda MSX Grom 125 Current
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Duchinni
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:45 - 15 Aug 2008    Post subject: Taking your lid off Reply with quote

I think it would be jokes to see someone chuck the hose on the floor, give the the pump jockey the finger and ride off to the next station..................but can you get in trouble for this?

i don't know about everyone else but when i fill up im on my way to college normally already late and i dont need to add 10 minutes to my journey taking my stuff on and off when i have no intention of stealing their fuel, if they are so bothered why dont they use number plate recognition systems?!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BikerBeth
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 31 Aug 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight change of topic I filled up, left my lid on, 6 pumps in total 4 with cars, 1 empty and 1 with my bike there. Cashier asked me which pump Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

NexusDragon
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:49 - 02 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been riding for a year now and I've never been asked to take my helmet off.

I dont fill up at supermarket chains, I seem to stick with Shell and other big names. If your calm and patient filling up they'll know your not in a rush to fill up and do a drive-off. Gloves come off for getting the petrol cap open and using the nozzle, I sit on the bike whilst filling and I've never been questioned for it. Leaving gloves on the bike whilst I go in and pay with my helmet on. I'm guessing it just comes down to general appearance and attitude whilst on the forecourt.
____________________
DAS Passed 19th April 08. 07' YBR125 > Yamaha FZ6 S2 '08 > 1998 YZF600R ThunderCat
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

PeterNSR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:30 - 02 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few days go i got asked to take my helmet off at the local bargain booze.(I was just getting redbull Laughing ) and she told me to take it off but at the petrol station there cool with it Thumbs Up Mr. Green
____________________
Current: Honda NSR 125 Smile

My bike
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

msgander
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 31 Aug 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 02 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

This rule stems from a few years ago when armed robberies were the norm and those responsible wore crash helmets! - its nothing ot do with safety or getting you on camera (although thats probably a reason now).

https://www.popcenter.org/problems/robbery_atms/PDFs/fcdps78.pdf
____________________
Always believe that your guardian angel flies a bit faster than you...............
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

jayvfr
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 15 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:02 - 02 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick wrote:
This rule stems from a few years ago when armed robberies were the norm and those responsible wore crash helmets! - its nothing ot do with safety or getting you on camera (although thats probably a reason now).

https://www.popcenter.org/problems/robbery_atms/PDFs/fcdps78.pdf


Same reason as not being allowed to wear em in banks either... damn crims ruining it for us all Wink

I don't mind taking it off as i'm usually taking forever to find my wallet whilst keeping my gloves on anyway Wink *note to self, must get less fiddly gloves*
____________________
A quater of a NC30 and a whole tatty ZX6R J2, that's plenty...
VFR bits for sale, PM me for details!
PSN ID: money85
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

growler
Traffic Copper



Joined: 17 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:36 - 02 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

today sitting waiting for a pump to come empty and watched a white van filling up seemed to be there for ages and suddenly the alarm is going off and the white van peels out and away

I looked at the pump they had used and it was up to £400!!!!! and they say we are a threat!!!!!
____________________
DILLIGAF
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:24 - 02 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growler wrote:
today sitting waiting for a pump to come empty and watched a white van filling up seemed to be there for ages and suddenly the alarm is going off and the white van peels out and away

I looked at the pump they had used and it was up to £400!!!!! and they say we are a threat!!!!!


You should have chased him and found out how much he is selling it for Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rovens
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:04 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the places that have pay at pump round here still wait for you to get off the bike before they will turn the pump on. Its stupid, im paying before i use the fuel, what does it matter if i want to sit on the bike to keep it upright so i can fill it right up.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:20 - 04 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

rovens wrote:
All the places that have pay at pump round here still wait for you to get off the bike before they will turn the pump on. Its stupid, im paying before i use the fuel, what does it matter if i want to sit on the bike to keep it upright so i can fill it right up.


I hear this quite often, I always sit on the bike, gloves off, lid on, never once had any problems with them turning the pump on.

All kinds of stations too - motorway, supermarket, small city outskirts ones.

Maybe its cause im ickle and unthreatening... Confused
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:15 - 04 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, its a safety thing:

- Every time i remove my helmet, I increase the risk of dropping it.
- A dropped lid is unsafe.
- I'm not prepared to ride with an unsafe lid.

Therefore, for my own safety and security (now where have I heard that phrase before?) I choose to keep my helmet on when refuelling. Simple.
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rustle
Nova Slayer



Joined: 28 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:05 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryandano wrote:
Only takes 119 quid spent at tesco to get enough points to get a years subscription...

Are you saying that for £1.19 of Tesco coupons you get a full magazine subscription?! Laughing
____________________
Test Passed 29/01/09 - Restriction Ends - 29/01/11
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Louise
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 May 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:14 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Slight change of topic I filled up, left my lid on, 6 pumps in total 4 with cars, 1 empty and 1 with my bike there. Cashier asked me which pump


Had this before, but it was just me with the bike and one car who was filling at the time. I just had a blank face Laughing

I avoid Shell like the plague

One garage I use all the time almost, some foreign guy - Knows me and the bike and lets me fill with no problem - even sparks up with a convo - Altho the first time I spoke to him he asked me this....

'Are you male or female - You have female eyes but a husky voice'

As I was in a pretty good mood I ended cracking up - since then we have had a joke each time I fill up Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

m0l0t0v
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:32 - 05 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pah. I've only ever had one bad tosser and I posted earlier on i nthe thread. Was funny. Laughing

Last night however, after work (barman) so it's roughly 5AM in Aylesbury and I go to fill up at Esso as it's the only place that's open late night/early morning. Guy who works those shifts knows the sound of my bike and knows me as a regular and has never had any problem with me sitting on the bike, paying upfront or taking helmet off. Go inside waiting to pay, one guy paying, look into my wallet to pay and then realise I left my card at home Confused

"BOLLOCKS!"

And he just goes "you left it at home didn't you?"

Doh!

Told me not to worry, happens all the time. Gave me a form to fill in with how much, which pump and my details/etc and to give some proof of identity (my licence) and told me I have 7 days to pay it and if I don't then it gets given to the police. Couldn't today as I've been at work all day. Just got home so doing it tomorrow before work Thumbs Up

Didn't even have to remove my helmet to fill the form or anything in.

Thumbs Up to the guy.
____________________
'99 Hornet 600 Sad, VFR 400 NC30 '92 Neutral, Kasawamasaki GT 550 Crying or Very sad, '98 Hornet 600 Mr. Green
**\Tarmacsurfer/** said: It's that immaculately manly coiffure of yours isn't it. One glimpse of your virile locks and the punters can't wait to buy whatever it is you suggest, as it might let them be just a little bit like the Adonis that is our very own Molly Very Happy Doovydoo said: Its not my fault I can't get it up properly, I just wasn't blessed Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bandit_nate
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 06 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:45 - 06 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this happen to me at an ASDA petrol station, I just asked them if I was wearing a shroud/burkah would they ask me to take that off, to which they replied "No, that is down to their religious rights"
That then made me think, if enough people signed "Jedi" on the census to make it a religion, could "Motorcyclist" become one if we all did that same? Then wearing a crash helmet would be our religious right and anyone asking us to remove it would be an insult to the motorcycling gods, namely Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph, etc.. Razz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mac_Black
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:55 - 06 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandit_nate wrote:

That then made me think, if enough people signed "Jedi" on the census to make it a religion, could "Motorcyclist" become one if we all did that same? Then wearing a crash helmet would be our religious right and anyone asking us to remove it would be an insult to the motorcycling gods, namely Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph, etc.. Razz


Rolling Eyes Have you read any of this or the 1,000,000 other identical threads about helmets and garage forecourts?

WILL THIS FUCKING THREAD DIE ALLREADY PLEASE?!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 07 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bandit_nate wrote:
I had this happen to me at an ASDA petrol station, I just asked them if I was wearing a shroud/burkah would they ask me to take that off, to which they replied "No, that is down to their religious rights"
That then made me think, if enough people signed "Jedi" on the census to make it a religion, could "Motorcyclist" become one if we all did that same? Then wearing a crash helmet would be our religious right and anyone asking us to remove it would be an insult to the motorcycling gods, namely Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda, Triumph, etc.. Razz


If you wanted to go down that road, surely it's far easier just to claim religious grounds anyway - "I'm not wearing a burkah because the helmet covers my face well enough for my religious needs, but I'm not removing the helmet."
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Biking News & Rumours All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.58 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 137.34 Kb