Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


How sensible should I be??

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Debts or Bike
Debts
67%
 67%  [ 35 ]
Bike
32%
 32%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 52

Author Message

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: How sensible should I be?? Reply with quote

I'm due a fairly substantail raise in the next month Very Happy & i'm torn between two routes down which to take this new found wealth. Should I....................

1 - Spend the next 12 months very sensibly paying off my debts and kept the old work horse that i've been riding for the last 3 years. It might not be special but it's reliable.

or

2 - Sod that, I could drop dead at any minute, go buy myself a VFR and pay my debts off over the next 3 years or so.

I know which one i'm leaning towards Twisted Evil
____________________
If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, you are the sucker.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a compromise; get a new bike, better than your current but not a dream bike, and pay off your debts in less time Thumbs Up
____________________
Full licence from 16/4/08 Smile
Previously: '56 YBR125 - Current: K1 SV650S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:22 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: How sensible should I be?? Reply with quote

Is that a VFR800 versus a thundercat you've got now?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very much an all or nothing kinda guy. There is rarely any grey .
____________________
If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, you are the sucker.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:23 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: How sensible should I be?? Reply with quote

G wrote:
Is that a VFR800 versus a thundercat you've got now?


Yep, the cats a good girl but I want something shiny!!!
____________________
If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, you are the sucker.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Seb
World Chat Champion



Joined: 19 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:26 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear the debts everytime, life is so much more fun with fuck all expenses and no huge tab hanging over your neck Smile
____________________
2010 Triumph 1050 Sprint ST
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

AppleJoe
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 02 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:30 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: How sensible should I be?? Reply with quote

EDBANGER wrote:
G wrote:
Is that a VFR800 versus a thundercat you've got now?


Yep, the cats a good girl but I want something shiny!!!


In that case get some wax and clear your debts Very Happy You obviously want to get the new bike, you're just looking for reassurance, I doubt anything said on here would change your mind really Razz
____________________
Full licence from 16/4/08 Smile
Previously: '56 YBR125 - Current: K1 SV650S
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

sagalout
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:34 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seb wrote:
Clear the debts everytime, life is so much more fun with fuck all expenses and no huge tab hanging over your neck Smile


So true Smile
____________________
Current Bike: Triumph Speed Triple T309
Previous: CBR600F => ZX9R => Triumph Tiger => Honda Blackbird => GSXR 750 => Versys =>ZX12R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm there's more sensible people on here than I thought. I've just tried to book a test ride but there's no demo's available. I feel all tense.
____________________
If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, you are the sucker.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

map
Mr Calendar



Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the current publicity about the credit crisis, bank uncertainty and employers worries about cutting costs (aka redundancies) IMO it'd be worth staying with what you've got for the next year and sorting out your finances for when things eventually get better.

That's just me though, a bird in the hand sort of guy.
Very Happy

EDBANGER wrote:
...I feel all tense.

Very Happy Go for a ride or find a partner then Rolling Eyes
____________________
...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger? Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Azonicben
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:25 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Step one. Clear your current debt Thumbs Up
Step two. Get some new debt Mr. Green

Nah if your bikes reliable keep it, pay your debts and then youve got a safety cushion if you need it Thumbs Up
____________________
Cbt-23/09/07.....Theory-16/09/08.....Das passed 10/10/08.....
Current bike- GsxR750 K4. Broken: Cbr400rr (Nc29) Sold: Hyosung GT125R
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:53 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I do (not that I'd admit it) like shiny things, it doesn't seem the VFR would offer enough over your Cat to justify a decent chunk of money that you don't really have.

You could consider a paintjob, or something? Though that's an even horribler waste of money Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely buying a VFR is the very definition of 'sensible'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:02 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDBANGER wrote:
Hmmmm there's more sensible people on here than I thought. I've just tried to book a test ride but there's no demo's available. I feel all tense.
I'd hold off getting a new Viffer until there's definately not a massive 09 update planned...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

.....
Quote Me Happy



Joined: 15 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clear the debt. I can't believe I just said that but not having those round your neck will be far more satisfying and pleasurable than a shiny new bike that you'll be bored of in a month.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

thefallenange...
Crazy Courier



Joined: 01 Jul 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:43 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

or compromise, pay debts off for 6 months so there's a bit more room to play in the noose and then buy the VFR.
____________________
Past - CG125 ,KR1S, SV650s, Street Triple R - Current - Duke 390

[email protected]
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

s44678
Guest





PostPosted: 19:16 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in a similar position, and kind of managed to do both.
Depends a lot on what kind of debts your talking about, and who you owe them to.

Look at the Interest, and work out how much extra you'd pay by stringing the loan term out compared to paying it off early (remember they usually charge to do that) and then ask yourself: if it costs me £x for the privilege of having this new bike now, do I still want it? If the benefit of having a new bike outweighs the cost to you, then buy it.
 Back to top
You must be logged in to rate posts

moog
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:40 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: How sensible should I be?? Reply with quote

EDBANGER wrote:
I'm due a fairly substantail raise in the next month Very Happy & i'm torn between two routes down which to take this new found wealth. Should I....................

1 - Spend the next 12 months very sensibly paying off my debts and kept the old work horse that i've been riding for the last 3 years. It might not be special but it's reliable.

or

2 - Sod that, I could drop dead at any minute, go buy myself a VFR and pay my debts off over the next 3 years or so.

I know which one i'm leaning towards Twisted Evil


Obviously you've made up your mind and are just looking for justification...therefore if 99% of us screamed "pay off your debts" and 1% whispered "go get a new bike" I'd wager you'd be going with the 1%. Just consider this though...

Overdraft fees will double within the next 12 months
Recession will hit hard for the next 6 - 9 months
Your money will be worth considerably less in the coming year
Food, bills, petrol, clothing...all on the increase

Anyone with any form of debt will probably find things getting tougher and tougher. If I was in your position I'd have no hesitation in taking my "substantial raise" and paying off my debts knowing that I'd be in a much better position for doing so.
____________________
"A process which led from the amoeba to man appeared to the philosophers to be obviously a progress...though whether the amoeba would agree with this opinion is not known."

"I've made an odd discovery. Every time I talk to a savant I feel quite sure that happiness is no longer a possibility. Yet when I talk with my gardener, I'm convinced of the opposite."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:18 - 08 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd sort my debts out first.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

EDBANGER
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 07:51 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have actually been swayed by the sensible debt brigade. Damn you, you all suck. I knew that was the thing to do but was hoping it wouldn't be. Thumbs Down
____________________
If you can't spot the sucker in your first half hour at the table, you are the sucker.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:28 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other ways you could spend a bit of cash to spruce up your current bike - get uprated suspension bits, set up to your weight. Not sure the VFR engine is too much beyond the thundercat, but getting jetting setup if you haven't done is always worth considering.

Various other bits and pieces you could spend a little money on without 'breaking the bank'.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 08:33 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort your debts out first. If you do that your VFR will be cheaper when you come to buy it Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carlnicholson...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Mar 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:34 - 09 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to say 'Bike' but want no part in your financial demise.

I'm in debt up to my fat little titties and it's a fucking miserable place. One more year, just one more solitary, miserable, shit hole of a year and I'm a free man!!!!!!!!!

MMMMM, a KTM250EXC-F and a VFR800, so close but so far.........
____________________
"THOSE WHO RISK NOTHING, DO NOTHING, ACHIEVE NOTHING, BECOME NOTHING."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.76 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 120.52 Kb