Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Army - Is it full of knobs?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Jello
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:21 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

Currently thinking about careers, with photography in mind.

Is the army a total knob-fest? Surely the officers must be alright, they at least need an education to get in.

I visited the careers office today and the bloke who met me seemed alright, if a little dim. (I'm sounding very snobbish)

He seemed more enthusiastic about my potential than what the RAF lot did. The RAF people came across very snobbish, it was almost as if I felt I had to prove myself before I was even allowed to address them, I didn't get a very good vibe. This army bloke on the other hand, recognised what I had already achieved and recommended some interesting careers. He spoke about these careers enthusiastically and suggested I could do quite well with my qualifications (plenty of GCSEs at A-C and a handful of A-Levels).

I've got a prejudice about Army folk though, so I'm a bit hesitant to investigate any further. Am I wrong to do so?
____________________
Honda MTX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:42 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

Jello wrote:
The RAF people came across very snobbish


Iron-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jello
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:50 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

Quote:
(I'm sounding very snobbish)


Shaun wrote:
Iron-eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee


I didn't think it would be the first reply though!

Now that that's over with...
____________________
Honda MTX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fredsredhat
Traffic Copper



Joined: 11 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:31 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the impression, soldiers are complete knobs. I only know 3 and all of them are complete pricks. They think they are invincible and better than everyone. Always fighting (and not always winning) and just very rude, arrogant pricks.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word. Jewell.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Deckx
Nearly there...



Joined: 09 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

the army guy was probably just being nice to you so he can get your ass out to Afganastan Neutral

Last edited by Deckx on 16:53 - 20 Oct 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:43 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm missing the link here?

Army...photography...army...photography...?

If you are into photography then use it with some Science background and try forensics? I don't think even in the Household Cavlvary on a reccie over enemy lines they'll let you take the SLR camera with you.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Finglonga
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:19 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

fredsredhat wrote:
I get the impression, soldiers are complete knobs. I only know 3 and all of them are complete pricks. They think they are invincible and better than everyone. Always fighting (and not always winning) and just very rude, arrogant pricks.


That's why they are ideal for the army and to go on the front lines. Who in their right mind would go into battle knowing your not going to come back. Wink
____________________
Andy Sez....
F.Y.Y.F.F.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jello
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:21 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
I'm missing the link here?

Army...photography...army...photography...?

If you are into photography then use it with some Science background and try forensics? I don't think even in the Household Cavlvary on a reccie over enemy lines they'll let you take the SLR camera with you.


I don't wish to be rude mate, but I've already established that photography in the armed forces is a real possible career choice. I've done my homework on it, evidently you have not. Smile

fredsredhat wrote:

I get the impression, soldiers are complete knobs. I only know 3 and all of them are complete pricks. They think they are invincible and better than everyone. Always fighting (and not always winning) and just very rude, arrogant pricks.

Indeed, this is my concern. Do you know any officers in the army?
____________________
Honda MTX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:26 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

An education doesn't equal un-knobbyness.

I'd say the majority of people I've known in the military have at least been 'ok' - but then I'm much less likely to have met the others through friends, etc.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:32 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is the army a total knob-fest?


Over 110,000 serving soldiers, they aren't all cocks. If you train people to kill and be violent/aggressive, why are people surprised that the less educated members are unable to differentiate between when it is appropriate and when it is not. Don't think the officers don't get into some shit as well (look at our esteemed prince) it conveniently gets covered up, much like the richer class in civilian life, its the bottom of the barrel that gets made an example of.

Saw an interesting program the other night about a lance corporal who served in Afghanistan and struggled to fit in when he got back. Got into fights, lost his rank etc. A shame really, heroes whilst fighting abroad, treated like thugs upon their return.

Quote:
The RAF people came across very snobbish, it was almost as if I felt I had to prove myself before I was even allowed to address them, I didn't get a very good vibe. This army bloke on the other hand, recognised what I had already achieved and recommended some interesting careers. He spoke about these careers enthusiastically and suggested I could do quite well with my qualifications (plenty of GCSEs at A-C and a handful of A-Levels).


The RAF made several rounds of redundancys quite recently. They number less than half of the army, and the treatment and conditions are better.

The army have lost hundreds of soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan, those remaining are leaving in droves as soon as their return of service is up. It's not hard to work out why they will welcome you with open arms.

You will find all sorts, there are pricks in all branches and some very good people to.

You may want to check the attitude in at the careers office door though, if you're to fit in at all.

The Navy didn't have a direct entry Photography branch, not sure about the Army/RAF, but wouldn't be surprised if it was similar. It was considered specialist and they only want the best after you have proved yourself in a regular role.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976


Last edited by WildGoose on 17:34 - 20 Oct 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:33 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jello wrote:

I don't wish to be rude mate, but I've already established that photography in the armed forces is a real possible career choice. I've done my homework on it, evidently you have not. Smile


Hence the question as I was in your position nearly 15 years ago.

So, whats photography got to do with the armed forces?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:38 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

Jello wrote:
Currently thinking about careers, with photography in mind.

Is the army a total knob-fest? Surely the officers must be alright, they at least need an education to get in.

I visited the careers office today and the bloke who met me seemed alright, if a little dim. (I'm sounding very snobbish)

He seemed more enthusiastic about my potential than what the RAF lot did. The RAF people came across very snobbish, it was almost as if I felt I had to prove myself before I was even allowed to address them, I didn't get a very good vibe. This army bloke on the other hand, recognised what I had already achieved and recommended some interesting careers. He spoke about these careers enthusiastically and suggested I could do quite well with my qualifications (plenty of GCSEs at A-C and a handful of A-Levels).

I've got a prejudice about Army folk though, so I'm a bit hesitant to investigate any further. Am I wrong to do so?


Based on the available evidence, you wouldn't make it through basic training. Unless, of course, you actually like getting a bit of a slap every time you open your mouth.

OTOH, you'd slot right into the RAF as smooth as a hermer's knob up his boyfriend's hoop...
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

RAF, can't find anything on the Army website though?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jello
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:44 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
Based on the available evidence, you wouldn't make it through basic training. Unless, of course, you actually like getting a bit of a slap every time you open your mouth.

OTOH, you'd slot right into the RAF as smooth as a hermer's knob up his boyfriend's hoop...


Interesting feedback. Are you able to offer a reason? Perhaps you know this from your experience of basic training?

Do you think it's my ability to think for myself that won't get me through, or that I despise dickheads? Please advise.

Whosthedaddy wrote:
RAF, can't find anything on the Army website though?


I couldn't find any official information on the internet regarding photography with the Army either. Which is why I felt I had to visit the Army careers office to get some information.

From what I got from the soldier in the office, they work with front line troops a lot. I don't mean on the front line necessarily, more in intelligence, 3D map building, things they can present as helpful intelligence. He referred to their use of Photoshop quite often, so I imagine a lot of time is spent PP rather than shooting.
____________________
Honda MTX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:51 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

Jello wrote:
Interesting feedback. Are you able to offer a reason? Perhaps you know this from your experience of basic training?

Do you think it's my ability to think for myself that won't get me through, or that I despise dickheads? Please advise.


Let me express it in poll form:

Option 1. Your gob.

Please tick one only.
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same as with any job, you get a large mix.

Alot of the officer and higher ranks are middle class and upwards (it's a traditional thing), these can be snobbish, but generally I've found them polite and fairly well educated. They may come across as knobs in your training but it's for a good reason.

Lots of the basic infantry can be dickheads but as goose says they are trained purely for one thing, to use weapons. These guys usually arent that intelligent either so they can flip easily but are generally a good laugh when in the right mood.

The army wont put up with anyone who is too much of a knob/wayward as they could be a liability to the rest of their regiment. Most will get gently pushed out during basic.

If you enjoy running around then give the army a go. Have to say that I'd prefer to be doing surveilance from a plane myself, ie RAF.

As with Bazza. A PT's job is to be as big a knob towards you as he can a lot of the time, if you dont like that then dont bother applying.

Quote:
He referred to their use of Photoshop quite often, so I imagine a lot of time is spent PP rather than shooting.

I dont know about this role but I'd sreiously consider trying to speak to someone who is in the exact role you want to. I'm (eventually) going in to Royal Engineers, there is still a lot of shooting needed although I'll have a trade. First and foremost you are a soldier.


Last edited by Irezumi aka Reuben on 18:03 - 20 Oct 2008; edited 2 times in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jello
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:57 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

bazza wrote:
Let me express it in poll form:

Option 1. Your gob.

Please tick one only.


Are you assuming I have a speech impedement?

Whosthedaddy, google is proving quite a good resource for some interesting articles. Example.
____________________
Honda MTX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jello
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:10 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
As with Bazza. A PT's job is to be as big a knob towards you as he can a lot of the time, if you dont like that then dont bother applying.

The harder a challenge is, the more you respect it's discipline and system once you've passed out.

I think what bazza is attempting to say is that my attitude needs checking. He's just too cool to say it directly.

I think I'm more likely to respect the system once I'm a part of it. Which is why at this stage I'm not concerned about my attitude toward the Army. But then I suppose my original question is flawed, as I'm asking for a general consensus from a population who the majority of are not part of the system.
____________________
Honda MTX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I don't think Bazza is just noting you attitude towards the army. These posts in this thread are they only ones I have seen and you seem like an arrogant tosspot.

HTH.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:16 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

Jello wrote:
Whosthedaddy wrote:
RAF, can't find anything on the Army website though?


I couldn't find any official information on the internet regarding photography with the Army either. Which is why I felt I had to visit the Army careers office to get some information.

From what I got from the soldier in the office, they work with front line troops a lot. I don't mean on the front line necessarily, more in intelligence, 3D map building, things they can present as helpful intelligence. He referred to their use of Photoshop quite often, so I imagine a lot of time is spent PP rather than shooting.


Not being rude, but you aint really done your homework then have you?

Intelligence, recon, not on the front line? Where else do you think they'll be?

If you like photo shopping then there are safer and better paid careers out there and they won't get your head blown off.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:17 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

Jello wrote:
Are you assuming I have a speech impedement?


Why would I assume that?
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jello
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

Whosthedaddy wrote:
Intelligence, recon, not on the front line? Where else do you think they'll be?


I'm not sure if you mis-read, or I wasn't clear; I did directly say they worked with the front line. The article I linked to also gives example of photographers working on the front line. I'm under no illusion that sometimes they don't.

Quote:
If you like photo shopping then there are safer and better paid careers out there and they won't get your head blown off.

I'm not a big fan of it, but it wasn't my intention to suggest I was. I was describing the job of some of the personnel who work with photographs in the Army.

bazza wrote:
Why would I assume that?

It was a thinly vieled dig, no sincerity intended.
____________________
Honda MTX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Silver
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

Jello wrote:
Is the army a total knob-fest?


No.

Jello wrote:
Am I wrong to do so?


Yes.

HTH.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jello
Nova Slayer



Joined: 07 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:54 - 20 Oct 2008    Post subject: Re: Army - Is it full of knobs? Reply with quote

Silver wrote:
Jello wrote:
Is the army a total knob-fest?


No.

Jello wrote:
Am I wrong to do so?


Yes.

HTH.


Haha, perfect. Thanks Very Happy

(psst, you're not supposed to take the question literally!)
____________________
Honda MTX 125
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 353 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.11 Sec - Server Load: 0.66 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 138.15 Kb