Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Is my belly fat or muscle? - updated with pics!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dabigginger
Crazy Courier



Joined: 28 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:47 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Is my belly fat or muscle? - updated with pics! Reply with quote

I decided to go to the gym back in March to get myself into better shape and bulk up a bit. At 6ft tall and 11st 10lbs, I was a bit on the lean side. Now, many months on, I'm weighing in at 14st 10 lbs, but as a downer, I've developed a bit of a belly. First thought is I was getting a bit podgy, but my girlfriend raised a good point - if I tense it, it is rock solid, not all flabby! Well, if I prod it from top down whilst having my stomach tensed, it's rock hard right down to my belly button. Below that, there's about 1cm of "squish" before I get to the hard stuff.

My gym program at the moment is:

10 mins cycling warm up - get heard rate upto approx 150bpm (I'm 24)
Lat pulldown - 3 sets x 9 @ 65kg
Ab curls - 2 sets x 60
Chest press - 3 sets x 9 @ 70kg
Leg extension - 2 sets x 12 @ 55kg
5 mins cycling to return heart rate to 150bpm
Shoulder press - 3 sets x 10 @ 70kg
Seated leg press - 2 sets x 15 @ 120kg
Peck deck - 3 sets x 8 @ 55kg
Bicep curl (free weight) 3 sets x 9 @ 10kg
5mins cool down
Stretch

If you're wondering why I don't do stuff like rower, many free weights or low leg weights - I have a bit of a duff back and none of these really help it. I've been perfectly fine with the other stuff though. I'm currently visiting 3 times a week.

As a vegetarian, I don't get my protein from stuff like beef etc. rather, it comes from cheese, pasta, milk etc. which unfortunately come with a lot of extras such as carbohydrate, fat etc. I'm currently eating around 3500 calories a day.

By the sounds of the above, have I got a fat stomach, or have I somehow developed a freakishly large amount of muscle there? I'm wondering if maybe I'm doing too many ab curls or not doing them quite right? Any input would be appreciated!


Last edited by dabigginger on 21:12 - 10 Nov 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:07 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't sound like fat to me. Fat doesn't weight very much, whereas muscle does and you have put on a good amount of weight, so i'd think it would be muscle.

However, more fool you for being a veggie, you can only get fatty proteins.

I'm weight training now and try and eat as many eggs and white meat as possible.

Have you thought about getting some whey powder, or maybe some creatine pills? These have lots of protein. Smile
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:29 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinch the skin fold. The thicker it is, the more sub-cutaneous fat there is.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paddy Blake
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:43 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

More beans less cheese.You are eating the wrong food. Thumbs Up

Paddy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dabigginger
Crazy Courier



Joined: 28 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:55 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Pinch the skin fold. The thicker it is, the more sub-cutaneous fat there is.


I can't pinch above my belly button - below it, I can pinch a small amount. Am I doing too many ab curls, or just maybe doing it the wrong way?

I would try and see the instructors, but they are usually doing classes or inductions in the evenings...

I get enough stick about being a veggie - haha! I was just brought up that way. I tried a few years ago to like meat, but never really enjoyed it. I've tried whey protein, but after having it mixed up in drink gave it a really weird creamy flavour and I felt like I was going to give birth!

More beans?! I fart enough as it is! Laughing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Paddy Blake
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:07 - 06 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burning up the protein will make farts stink like hell.
Some people work to hard for a 6/8 pack and get a belly because they cant see the pack behind some fat.So they try harder and it gets bigger because of more muscle but still some fat over it.
Lots of carbs = belly to.

Paddy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally if you want a 6-pack you'll need to get yourself down to 10-12% body fat, they should have calipers at the gym that will give you a roughly accurate indication, so ask around.

As far as whey protein drinks go, you need to shop around and try a few varieties before you find one that tastes ideal. Believe me, some out there taste like absolute swine vomit, but there are a few gems out there that you could drink all day and enjoy it.

Oh and Jon B, creatine contains no protein whatsoever, and if he was one of these people that bloat of them it prob wouldnt do the appearence of his stomach many favours either.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jai466
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:04 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m a veggie are home and hardly get any good meat outside but also its too pricey.

I have read reviews that Holland and Barratt do a very good protein mix and tastes good as well

I recently got burnt and was told to have protein at home Holland and Barratt really helped and also I use this to for weight training. I believe it’s called Whey...

Or you can mix other protein drinks with milkshake like Yazoo milk.

With regards to your belly... you could increase your reps to loose that extra weight...

Also try this it may help...

Lie on a flat surface, put your hands under your gluteus muscle knuckles facing up. Slowing raise you ankles above the ground 6 inches and never letting them touch the ground and then raising them 90 degree to your body and then 180 degrees.
Do these 20 times X 4 sets with a 30 sec rest.

Then again legs up 90 degree and keep them up and open and close side ways them while at 90 degree same reps.

Then keep them above 6 inches above ground and open close your legs remember as wide as possible. It will be at 180 degrees

Also you can do an exercise called scissors which means you raise both legs at 45 degree and then do the scissors action, both legs will cross side by side, one legs goes up and the other goes down.

One more to add is keep legs 6 inches off the ground at 180 degrees together and do small circles 20 anti clockwise and then 20 clockwise or vice versa.

Few points to remember:

Keep feet 6 inches of the ground ALWAYS
Remember to breathe
If you can hold the open and close exercise for about few seconds as well as the one where you life your legs.

This will build that last pac right at the bottom and you will feel the burn.

Hope it helps
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:18 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I require pics to make a decision here.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:45 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know jack about bodybuilding as i'm not interested in it. However you say you eat 3500 calories every day, is not likely that you're failing to burn off this energy on a daily basis and a result are actually eating more than you need so gaining weight and fat. Surely by supplying yourself with as much or more energy than you need on a daily basis you're not encouring your body to become 'lean' at all.

I don't do a huge amount of excercise anymore but some days I eat a reasonable amount, others I eat very small amounts, seem to keep me at a very constant weight and not fatty at all, this is purely down to appetite rather than any kind of diet. Do you drink a lot of beer?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

_Will_
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a small layer of fat over the muscle, sometimes referred to as the 'pooch' and is very stubborn to shift.

When gaining muscle you will also gain a small amount fat, only by cutting will you get the definition of the abs, which is down to exercise/nutrition.

What you will probably find is you have a good set of abs which is giving you an appearance of having a bit of a gut.

High intensity interval training is a good way of getting lean, overall just more cardio will do it.
____________________
Past -Honda qr50 | 2004 Peugeot Tkr s 50|
| 1996 Yamaha XJ600s Diversion|
| 2005|Kawasaki Z750s | | 2006 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer |
|| 1999 Cbr1100xx Blackbird ||
||| 2000 Kawasaki Zx12R ||| (|2009 Street Triple R |) // 2004 Honda Hornet Streetfighter \\|=| 2000 BMW R1100S |=| ------ My Bikepics page ------
Suffering Bike Withdrawal.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

R6jonny
Nearly there...



Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:36 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jai466 wrote:

Also try this it may help...

Lie on a flat surface, put your hands under your gluteus muscle knuckles facing up. Slowing raise you ankles above the ground 6 inches and never letting them touch the ground and then raising them 90 degree to your body and then 180 degrees.
Do these 20 times X 4 sets with a 30 sec rest.

Then again legs up 90 degree and keep them up and open and close side ways them while at 90 degree same reps.

Then keep them above 6 inches above ground and open close your legs remember as wide as possible. It will be at 180 degrees

Also you can do an exercise called scissors which means you raise both legs at 45 degree and then do the scissors action, both legs will cross side by side, one legs goes up and the other goes down.

One more to add is keep legs 6 inches off the ground at 180 degrees together and do small circles 20 anti clockwise and then 20 clockwise or vice versa.

Few points to remember:

Keep feet 6 inches of the ground ALWAYS
Remember to breathe
If you can hold the open and close exercise for about few seconds as well as the one where you life your legs.

This will build that last pac right at the bottom and you will feel the burn.

Hope it helps



Do this, but do it holding dumbbells above your head so you cant use your hands under your arse to help. Hits the abs much much harder....

Also try floor wipers, again flat on your back holding weights, raise legs to one side then lower to the middle and raise to the other side....repeat.. if that doesnt make sense "youtube" it and you will see what it means...
____________________
Honda NSR125 - Yamaha R6 - Ducati 748 - Suzuki GSXR750K6/GSXR1000K7/GSXR750K8 - Ducati 848 - Honda SP1 - Triumph Daytona 675
"simply because she is a female and is thus her actions largely make no sense whatsoever by default"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rotax81
Nearly there...



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:43 - 07 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

your back protector is on the wrong way round.
you will find all the fat laughing behind it Wink
____________________
ZX636C6F road. ZX636C1H track. ZX7R redundant. ZX0.5R minimoto as ornament.
Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi and VW Transporter 2.5TDi 888 Special (no mot and tax lol)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Clanger
Stirrer



Joined: 27 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:59 - 08 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

dragonfly wrote:
I require pics to make a decision here.


Exactly....!!!!
One's where you are NOT sucking it all in. At ease. Very Happy
____________________
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind - Dr. Seuss
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 08 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clanger wrote:
dragonfly wrote:
I require pics to make a decision here.


Exactly....!!!!
One's where you are NOT sucking it all in. At ease. Very Happy


They are totally ignoring me! I see no pics Confused LOL at sucking it all in Laughing get it? Shifty
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

DaveH
World Chat Champion



Joined: 03 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:43 - 08 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you keep your stomach taught, and pulled in, while exercising?
____________________
https://www.timhastingsracing.co.uk/

ZX7R & ER6F
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rob
World Chat Champion



Joined: 16 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:04 - 09 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, if you exercise your stomach muscles and you have any fat down there at all, as soon as the muscles start to grow they will push the fat forward making you appear 'fatter'.

You won't have gained any fat, just muscle, but the fat you had will be more prominent.

As someone said, in order to get a six pack the skin on your stomach has to be as tight as the skin on the back of your hand - almost no body fat! It's a hard thing to achieve!!
____________________
Love is 1050cc Smile
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:17 - 09 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i've been having this problem right now. My belly suddenly seems bigger, yet it must only be half an inch of fat tops covering my muscles as it is rock solid behind. Sad
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jai466
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 09 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drink a glass of water 15 min a meal and also eat 20% less food and then drink a glass of water after you meal you will soon see the skin getting tight.

Most of the time we eat for no reason.

The body 70% of times is asking for water but we mistake it for food... next time your hungry drink a glass of water and wait 20min if you body is still hungry then you body needs food. If not then is was actucally asking for water...

Also remember is 75-80% diet and 20% exercise.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 09 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know, I just lost 3 stone going from 13st 2 to 10 stone on the dot. I'm also only 9.4% fat. I know all about diet and I try to eat mostly proteins and fruit. Just a real difficulty to get rid of the thin layer of residual fat.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Jai466
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 31 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:16 - 09 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done!

They say thats the hardest part (small part of fat) its called baby fat...

Maybe some fast active tasks may help... Sprinting then slowing down then sprinting again... I know boxing really helps...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dabigginger
Crazy Courier



Joined: 28 Oct 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:11 - 10 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveHogg wrote:
Do you keep your stomach taught, and pulled in, while exercising?


I'm sure I have, but I have been making more of a conscious effort to do this recently. I'm also making sure I breath in whilst working, breath out whilst relaxing.

@dragonfly - pics as requested:

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/dabigginger/Gym/side1.jpg
Relaxed

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/dabigginger/Gym/side2.jpg
Tensed

https://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b105/dabigginger/Gym/side3.jpg
Sucking it in

There isn't a massive difference between the 3, but I thought it might be of some help. Also, I have no idea why I closed my eyes. I just did!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Irezumi aka Reuben
Carrot Top



Joined: 28 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:33 - 10 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youre carrying a lot of bodyfat. You need to strip lots and lots away to find the abs. They are most likely there if youre doing the excercises you say, just hidden.

To get them showing you will need to loose bodyfat/weight. Look up calculators to find your bodyfat burning heart rate (standard is around 60% of maximum) or so youre at a light sweat. Go in to calorie deficit so you consume less than you burn off in a day but only by a few hundred calories per day. Try running first thing in the morning before eating as well.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:32 - 11 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if you're taking supplement, go for protein only. One's with carbs wont help. No carbs after 5 is also a good way to drop pounds. Also things like PHD's Lean Degree are good at helping you get off stubborn weight easier.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

steppen22
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:49 - 11 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a veggie too. On a unrelated topic, what are your views on leathers?

I wear leathers, but I'd rather not. I'm a veggie for "moral" reasons so I feel like something of a hypocrite every time I pull my leathers on.

Still, I don't think I'm a rotten person. just morally flawed. But who isn't?
____________________
no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 325 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 1.81 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.64 Kb