Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Arai Lids

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

vt6
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:07 - 16 Nov 2008    Post subject: Arai Lids Reply with quote

Anyone own an Arai Condor, if so what are your experiences of them? Half decent or is it worth paying that bit more for a corsair or viper etc?
I've not tried one on yet just getting opinions on them before i go shopping.

Cheers
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Blau Zedong This post is not being displayed because the poster is banned. Unhide this post / all posts.

Gazdaman
I did a trackday!!!



Joined: 12 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:23 - 16 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried one on in Heine Gericke. Beautifully comfortable. Just couldn't quite justify £200.

Gaz
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

vt6
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:26 - 16 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to spend 200, i've got a shoei xr1000 atm its ok but i fancy a change. I've had a look at the upper range of arai's is the extra $$$ worth it, not quite sure i could cope with spending 450 on a helmet lol.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Faldo
World Chat Champion



Joined: 05 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:08 - 16 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Viper GT. It is comfortable, but quite noisy, especially with the visor up.

TBH, I'd go for the cheaper one if I were you. I paid 100 odd quid for the AGV I have, and would probably prefer it to the £400 Viper if it wasn't too big.

As for the visor change mech, I struggled like mad the first time, but once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of piss.
____________________
Current: ZZR1400
Previous: ZXR 400 L9, ZX-7R P5, ZZR 400, ZX-7R P6, Bandit 600, GSXR 750 Slingshot, DRZ400, DR650, ZX10R C1H, ZXR 750 L1, ZXR 750 L3, '99 ZX7R P4, KTM 300 EXC, ZX-9R E1, TDM850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:01 - 16 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for one which you feel the most comfortable with and not the one with the best colour scheme - I got a corsair and i have to constantly wear ear plugs to prevent further hearing loss. The condor/chaser/Viper GT are very good road lids and exceedingly comfortable.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 16 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a condor and it certainly did its job in my accident back in june. I am looking at getting another bike come the spring and i will definatley buy another condor, without even hesitating.

But like the titmeister said, try on loads of helmets (trust me, the folks in the bike shop won't mind) and get one that fits you the best and is the most comfortable on your head.

I see so many people that buy £400+ shoei's because they have a tarty paint job and they literally 'fall' onto their head because they are so big. Remember, you can't see your helmet when your riding so whats it matter if you look like a retard. Just ride where nobody knows you Laughing
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Knacker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:41 - 17 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb259/Squeaky_86_2007/n1018467724_172833_6177-1.jpg
Arai Condor Stellar Silver = £225
Black Visor = £45
Having a helmet that feels as good as it looks = Pricless
____________________
Current: Gsxr 600 Srad - GS125 - DT125
Previous: K1 GSXR 1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 17 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. Very comfortable.

They cut the end of the chinstrap on my one a bit short which has lead to it fraying near the press stud. Might want to watch that.

They ought to be giving you a warranty card and service record with an Arai helmet. It has come to my attention that a certain popular high street motorcycle clothing emporium may have been involved in paralell importing of Arai helmets from overseas. These may not carry the same level of warranty from the manufacturer. Apparently more of an issue with the top-end arais.
____________________
“Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Knacker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 17 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard something about a batch of viper GT's that let in water Neutral

£500 lid and its as waterproof as a siv
____________________
Current: Gsxr 600 Srad - GS125 - DT125
Previous: K1 GSXR 1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:56 - 17 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the visor mechanisms were installed incorrectly thus the visor won't make a seal properly (with the seal that runs round the edge of the window or whatever you want to call it)

But my condor had holes in the polystyene where the vents were, so maybe people that spent £500 on helmets were to scared to come off, so they went so slow that water went in the vents Laughing
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

the grim reaper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:00 - 17 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I moved away from Arai as I found that the Shoei X-Spirit fitted me, unlike the rest of the Shoei range. It's a lot lighter, a lot quieter and also a lot colder!

[edit] forgot to mention, the visor mechanism is a joy to use and no sidepods makes it a lot quieter. I can change the visor with the lid on.

Cheers

Grim
____________________
Adverts don't always work: Remember that advert, where the army are running across the desert and they have a wounded man on a stretcher. They get to a ravine, the bridge is down and a caption pops up that says, 'What are you thinking?'. I don't know about you but I was thinking, 'Christ, I'm glad I'm not in the f***ing army'.


Last edited by the grim reaper on 16:05 - 17 Nov 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:01 - 17 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Viper, crap, been in the shop for repairs more than I've worn it.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

x_BikerChick_x
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:39 - 17 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

We know!! We sorted it for you!

The point, however, is that with a helmet of that quality and price, on the rare occassion that a fault does occur, the aftersales is brilliant and the problem is always remedied with no cost to yourself!

Ensuring that the fit is right though is definately the most important bit!! If a Viper doesn't fit, but a Condor does, go for the Condor.
____________________
~ I don't want to have it all, I just want to have enough ~
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Coursair RX7, it is awesome, I got it for £400 with 2 pin lock inserts chucked in. I've had it 2 months now and not had a problem I bought a visor (Genuine Arai dark visor) for I think £30/35 delivered from www.racevisors.co.uk and it came with a free Arai visor bag. It's a lot of money but a massive step up from the TiTech I had before it. The finish is far better and it is lighter, the vents on it actually work, which is a first on any helmet I have tried. The pull down chin gard is a great idea that works and it looks the tits.

I ride at least 12k miles a year so I will get the use out of it. I wasn't intending to buy a lid that dear but I tried it on and loved it the other models felt nowhere near as nice.
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:58 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, how deaf are you now that you're riding with the corsair? They're silly loud!

Needless to say if you want a corsair, wait until next feb when the RX7GP comes out (or whatever they call it here) - That way prices of the old Corsair will drop - I've seen them for £350 at some retailers which is a bargain price for such a good lid - noisy mind!
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:09 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titz wrote:
Chris, how deaf are you now that you're riding with the corsair? They're silly loud!

Needless to say if you want a corsair, wait until next feb when the RX7GP comes out (or whatever they call it here) - That way prices of the old Corsair will drop - I've seen them for £350 at some retailers which is a bargain price for such a good lid - noisy mind!


Pardon?


I don't notice it, it is quiter than my TiTech that was pretty loud. Any long journeys I ride with noise reducing earphones. Besides if anything is gonna make me deaf it if the exhausts Laughing
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

fourten
Spanner Monkey



Joined: 27 Dec 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:11 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite anti-Arai mainly due to the Visor system. I have a Shoei XR-1000 and the visor system on that is just piss easy. Whereas on the Arai the visor itself feels brittle, it's a big fiddle to take on and off and feels like your snapping it when you eventually get it to click on and off...

But that's just me- I switch between tinted and clear quite a fair bit so the visor system is hugely important to me.
____________________
www.artridertraining.co.uk
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:17 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like any visor system the Arai just takes getting used to. Getting it off can be tricky but I can still change it in 15 seconds or so. No where near as fast as my AGV though I could do that in about 5 seconds Laughing
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Knacker
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Mar 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would you ever need to change visors lol

Rolling Eyes
____________________
Current: Gsxr 600 Srad - GS125 - DT125
Previous: K1 GSXR 1000
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?



Joined: 21 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marlboro-Matt wrote:
Why would you ever need to change visors lol

Rolling Eyes


If you have a dark one.

Rolling Eyes
____________________
Well, you know what they say. If you want to save the world, you have to push a few old ladies down the stairs.
Skudd:- Perhaps she just thinks you are a window licker and is being nice just in case she becomes another Jill Dando.
WANTED:- Fujinon (Fuji) M42 (Screw on) lenses, let me know if you have anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:19 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Like any visor system the Arai just takes getting used to. Getting it off can be tricky but I can still change it in 15 seconds or so. No where near as fast as my AGV though I could do that in about 5 seconds Laughing


AGV visor change = win. Laughing

The shark one is pretty good too.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer



Joined: 18 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:20 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:
Marlboro-Matt wrote:
Why would you ever need to change visors lol

Rolling Eyes


If you have a dark one.

Rolling Eyes


Riding around at night in a blackie is obviously what all his mates do to because they are so cool, bless.
____________________
My Flickr
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

veeeffarr
Super Spammer



Joined: 22 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:53 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

x_BikerChick_x wrote:
We know!! We sorted it for you!

The point, however, is that with a helmet of that quality and price, on the rare occassion that a fault does occur, the aftersales is brilliant and the problem is always remedied with no cost to yourself!

Ensuring that the fit is right though is definately the most important bit!! If a Viper doesn't fit, but a Condor does, go for the Condor.


Aye, take it you're Chester store, to be fair your store have been great, but bear in mind I was treated shockingly before I came to your store... Helmets been alright so far, touch wood!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Tot
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:33 - 18 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Visor change mechanisms are indifferent. I really DID NOT want an arai purely for the visor change - but the comfort of the liner and fit was more than enough to sway £375 into my nakano rep - unfortunately, a good lid, but slightly ill fitting lid has been consigned to spares (shoei XR1000). Both lids have their benefits but for me and long distance comfort, it has to be the arai every time... no more aches around the temples where hair gets caught... at least they come with a chin guard as standard and Hein Gericke in edinburgh actually took their time to size the lid correctly for my head - which J&S didn't do for my shoei.

With practise, anybody can get a visor changed on an arai... just depends how forceful you are.
____________________
The Tot 2019 Z1000SX - 2007 R1
Never argue with autism
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.71 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 131.27 Kb