|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Bendy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Bendy Mrs Sensible

Joined: 10 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| JonB |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 JonB Afraid of Mileage

Joined: 03 Jun 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 15:52 - 19 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
The Nintendo DS has a few language games that help you learn a language, could be worth a shot.  ____________________ Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:43 - 19 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I used to find that watching tv programmes in Italian kept my level of Italian reasonably non-rusty (providing it wasnt just hysterical gameshows) - I used to try to listen to the news, which makes it easier to pick up what they are saying, as often its stuff that is global so you know some of the words already.
I used to occasionally pick up a copy of Corriere Della Sera to try and improve my Italian reading as well.
Other thing to do is spend time where native speakers hang out, I suppose it might be easier to do this right in the middle of London, but it is one way of picking bits of odd language. I used to sit outside the Italian Embassy and listen to people talking, or hang out in the Italian Tourist Office in my lunch hour, and just stand and read brochures whilst the office staff were on the phone jabbering away interesting what you learn when you're learning a new language  ____________________ Not nearly as interesting in real life. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 17:44 - 19 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Which language would you like to learn? The key is to immerse yourself in the language and speak it as much as you can. Learning as they teach you in school doesn't work as well as actually just doing it IMO.
I go to Belgium a lot and I've picked up more french just being there for a few weeks than I ever did at school. And the majority of the people I speak to actually speak dutch!
Although, Dutch is quite hard and I didn't pick very much of that up!
I've also been going to Germany, and I did more German at school than I did french, and I can pretty much hold my own in conversation now. And most people there speak to me in English!  ____________________ British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Annabella |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Annabella Like a person, only smaller

Joined: 03 Feb 2002 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:40 - 19 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I would heartily recommend an extended holiday in the country which speaks the language you wish to learn. Personally, I learnt far more Russian (and useful Russian, none of this "I like to play hockey and my dad is an engineer... ah, look it's raining" bollocks) staying over there than I did in five years' of lessons.
Kind of rules out Latin though  ____________________ Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell!
www.bikepics.com/members/bella |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 19:45 - 19 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Just speak in English, but at twice the volume. Foreigners are known to understand this, although they may pretend not to.
DOUBLE EGG AND CHIPS!!! ____________________ Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Clanger |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Clanger Stirrer

Joined: 27 May 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| steppen22 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 steppen22 World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Feb 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 22:33 - 20 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I speak a little French, Spanish and Italian. I intend to teach myself Russian next year.
I'd recommend Michel Thomas, actually (check mininova.com for downloads). He's one of the best tutors and if you follow his methods you should be speaking basic SENTENCES within weeks.
Don't think, though, that you can learn a language without hard work - don't waste your time with "learn French while you drive - without any effort at all!" cds. Don't think that you can learn a language during the commercial break of your fav tv show. You can't.
The secret, really, to learning any language is TO LEARN THE FUCKING GRAMMAR. Why? Becuase knowing the grammar enables you to make an educated guess at the words you need. The active vocabulary for european languages is very small - about 600 words. Think about that. Day in, day out, for your entire life, you've been only using about 600 English words for all of your needs. Now if you learn say, 600 French words - and YOU KNOW HOW TO PUT THESE IN GRAMMATICAL CONTEXT - you'll be able communicate to quite a high standard. But if you know 10,000 French words, but have no understanding of grammar, you'll be the equivelent of a speaking clock.
The good thing to bear in mind is YOU ALREADY KNOW 100's of Spanish, German, etc words. How come? 'Cos European languages have the same roots - all you need to know is the different pronunciations. ____________________ no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 22:54 - 20 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
This is a good post from Tim Ferris, author of "The 4 hour work week" :-
https://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/11/07/how-to-learn-but-not-master-any-language-in-1-hour-plus-a-favor/ ____________________ Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Moonie |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Moonie World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Feb 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:42 - 20 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
My grandad was a translator for the army for years, he speaks all sorts, and he said the reason I wasn't learning as fast as I should have been at school is that I only spent 3 hours a week max in Spanish lessons. I always wanted to learn Russian for some reason, I started learning a couple of weeks ago, and because I'm spending at least an hour a day on it I'm picking it up so much faster than I did anything at school.
Obviously you might not have time for that, but make it as regular as you can.
Also, as soon as you can do a fair bit (sounds like you already can) try to think of absolutely everything you do in french, it just helps you form sentences and remember vocabulary more readily. ____________________ Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| petko17 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 petko17 Nova Slayer

Joined: 06 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:15 - 21 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I speak Slovakian ( my first language), Czech ( bit similar to Slovak), Polish, Russian, Spanish and English.
I can say english is the easiest one, because you can find it everywhere. Im rubbish at grammer but i can understand what poeple saying and if i dont want to i can make an excause that i dont understand, lot of times it helpt me from troubles An usually people understand me....not always
With english and spanish the best is playing games, watching movies, even if yo dont understand the word, still read the books etc, try to learn in the same time from dictionary, i just open dictionary and i will learn the whole page, all the words etc. If you will have an idea that some words exist and then you will find it in your book ( where are you learning from) it will be much easier to remember. I also speak german but not very well. ____________________ <<<PIGGER)) >>>
<<<SUZUKI GSX-R 600 K4>>> |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| MarJay |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 MarJay But it's British!

Joined: 15 Sep 2003 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| baby_gal |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 baby_gal Derestricted Danger

Joined: 21 Nov 2008 Karma : 
|
 Posted: 19:13 - 21 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Michel Thomas is pretty good, I have the Spanish one and on amazon theres people selling Spanish, Italian, French and German Foundation courses for less than half the retail price.
He teaches you the grammar of how words are made so even if you dont know the word you can make a fairly accurate guess at it. You do have to dedicate some time to it though and give it your concentration otherwise like all other language courses it just won't work. ____________________ Miss Blackwolf |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hellkat |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hellkat Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 21:26 - 21 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| bazza |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 bazza World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Aug 2004 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| instigator |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 instigator Super Spammer

Joined: 19 Oct 2004 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| karen_moomin |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 karen_moomin World Chat Champion

Joined: 11 Apr 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:06 - 23 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
For the last year I have been learning German. I had no previous experience as did not do it at school. I have been learning via college one evening per week, Michele Thomas CD's and lots of practice (I work for a German company so practice my written skills daily, and get to go to Germany regulary).
I can HIGHLY recommend Michele Thomas as others have, he helps you with sentence structure and I've learnt a great deal from him. It's more than just normal learning common phrases, he actually teaches you how to think, so you can put basic sentences together.
I have found the hardest thing actually having the confidence to speak German when I'm over there. I enjoy writing it and learning it, but when faced with a situation I shit myself. I can tell people that I only speak a little German and to speak slowly, but if you don't know the words they are saying to you, you're pretty stuck. The best conversations I've had have been with non-english speaking people, so you have to muddle your way through. There's no cheating!
I intend to be fluent in 5 years, but it's much, much harder than I realised!!
Wo ein Will ist, ist auch ein Weg!
Good luck!!
PS. Also something which is really helpful, is start watching foreign DVDs with subtitles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 322 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|