Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Crying about stuff that doth not concern you.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:01 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Crying about stuff that doth not concern you. Reply with quote

Was just reading the thread about Baby P and people shamelessly admitting they had been reduced to tears from reading what had happened.

Now call me an insensitive soul, but I never ever get reduced to any sort of sad emotion when reading these stories. Perhaps I emotionally detach myself from the events, but when reading about anything of that nature, it neither shocks me, nor saddens me. Perhaps as someone as a believer of people = shit analogy, I would not be surprised by this act of cruelty.
Equally, unless it is someone I know, I rarely get upset by the death of say a fellow biker, or someones tale of woe on the internet.

Perhaps it's cause I am not a father, that I would not understand fully the implications of the Baby P case, but one thing is for sure; I WILL cry if I get one more fucking invite on Facebook to a group related to Baby P.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:39 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a similar issue.

As a parent, I am generally outraged and disgusted of E16 that someone could treat their own child in such a way.

But the *frenzy* is what is doing my brain in, as well.
No, I will not forward on the Baby P text message (and increase O2's profits). No, I will not join a Baby P group on Facebook (and increase Facebook's profits) ... I may set a blue balloon free on whatever day, but if I forget, the world will not stop.

If I mention that I have not forwarded that text, or that I will not join those groups, I am made to feel ashamed ... for what? For the simple action of not declaring in public a principle I already believe in - that of not beating one's children to death. Or is it just for not joining in with the crowd?

Those of us who choose not to actually voice our opinion shouldn't think any less of those who do. Because the moral outrage of many other people (Jon) must go on, even if you or others of us (and I can think of at least one more) choose not to do so publically ... because otherwise precedents would be set for people to think it was OKAY to treat their children like that, or for social services across the country (world) to act in so disgracefully slack a manner, which obviously it is not.

Its okay NOT to join those groups or to voice outrage publically, so long as you actually acknowledge, even if only to yourself, that beating your child to death is a pretty shitty thing to do, and those people who do are heartless selfish cunts ... actually I can't think of a description bad enough, but they must be sick in the fucking head.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:49 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll assume you stole this thread idea from my facebook status shall I? Razz

I'll just post the comments I received here...

Quote:
Shaun doesn't want to join any fucking groups about baby p ffs

careful shaun, as a mother that is quite a statement, very emotive subject!!!!

I've had like 6 invites to groups about, yeah it's news but me joining a million groups won't achieve shit

Very difficult to avoid it in the press, they're really making a big deal of it. Time to learn voodoo skills if you want to make a difference.

im with you shaun, even though we all know just how much facebook groups have the power to change things............its a terrible thing that happened, but the invite i got the spelling was atrocious, how can you be expected to join a group when you cant understand what its supposed to be...........im gonna form a group called "before you form a group use a fucking spellchecker"

I just love the way that the people who start these random groups about any subject make sure that they research the subject matter thoroughly first and are so informed about the subject they have chosen to blast across our computer screens so that they offer a fully fair and balanced overview.......

They're just like that stupid 5 billion people against paedo's group, none of them can spell and some of their 'suggestions' as to what should be done to paedophiles were worse than what paedo's do and yet they're apparently the sane ones. I can understand people feeling strongly about stuff like that but as Tam said their views are typically very one sided and they're largely uninformed and very selective about what information they do take in. I've even seen comments suggesting that mental illness is no excuse... if it's genuine it fucking is.

Do these groups actually *do* anything other than just sit around expressing outrage?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have other issues [specifically on the subject of "deaths of bikers"] but those are a bit controversial as well and I have to gather my thoughts before I post on that subject.

Shaun, yeah, I was thinking of you too actually ... LOL : I saw that "status" and wondered if you would cop any flak for it, but it was bed time and I couldnt be bothered sitting up waiting to read the fall-out.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.


Last edited by hellkat on 12:14 - 21 Nov 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:06 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:

careful shaun, as a mother that is quite a statement, very emotive subject!!!!


Who was that knobhead then ^ ?

'as a mother that is quite a statement'... yes, that you don't want to join any bullshit groups that achieve nothing and are populated by the 2 digit IQ's.

Who remembers the 'Find Maddie' ones Rolling Eyes
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:16 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellkat wrote:
spot-on stuff


Well put, and bloody spot on.

And yes Bonny, I remember the FIND MADDIE ones too.

It's the way these idiots DEMAND that you must forward/join or else you are SICK and EVIL and DONT CARE.

Like I was gonna 'FIND MADDIE' - like in a kitchen cupboard or summit. Rolling Eyes

'Jesus! There she is!! Thank God I joined that facebook group, otherwise I'd never have looked for her!!!' Rolling Eyes
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:18 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

bonny_ricardo wrote:
Who remembers the 'Find Maddie' ones Rolling Eyes


Or worse, all the hysteria when Di died.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:23 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of know what you mean, but in cases where say, I hold my missus' niece who's like 4 months old for a while and you see how adorable she is and such, well, then you picture someone performing those kind of acts on them, an it brings it home a lot more.

Agreed about these groups on facebook though, people have now started changing their profile pictures to a blue ribbon, which apparently will help stop this sort of thing happening again.

And if I release a balloon at a certain time, something mytiscal and magical will happen, and the whole incident will correct itself...... im wondering if these people who are so set and determined to make a change and difference actually did something productive towards that cause, rather than forming groups (which normally turn into a fight between two factions and comes down to race/al queda/terrorist/george bush/crab people) or releasing balloons, they might actually succeed in making a positive change.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Visitor Q
$25 whore



Joined: 30 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

Or worse, all the hysteria when Di died.



Yes. I find it very hard to take people seriously ever again if I find out they gave a shit/laid flowers.

Rolling Eyes

Was an episode of Kenny vs Spenny (a canadian show) where he was rambling on about Di in an effort to keep himself depressed.

If memory serves I jumped out of bed exuberantly when I heard the news. I thought she was a dreadful woman, even at 10.

@ Mudskipper - Yeh I did always point this out people. Lost in continental europe... so why don't we check the shed at the bottom of the garden. Oh and everyone with a young blond girl on their person was obviously the suspect Neutral

What always cracks me up are the people (and I've met a few) who are willing to tell jokes about Maddie being 'hide and seek champion' etc... but get all touchy when you crack onto jokes about her being similar to a submarine (I'll leave you to work that one out yourself) as 'she was never abused!!!11 Evil or Very Mad'.

Brick Wall

Yes, if she was indeed abducted (a big if) they only wanted her so they could have /the/ most searched for child in the land. Good plan. Keep her alive and well for years in a cellar, with only nice things happening, and no one will ever know. Yeh, thats how it works.

Rolling Eyes

Again, I struggle to take anyone seriously who actually joined the 'find maddie' groups. Again started by the sub 100 IQ's and joined by their peers or weak people who caved to the idiocy.
____________________
China traffic/travel bike vid - When I make a sweeping statement, please add the word 'statistically' in to the sentence before you bitch...
From September 2014 to January/February 2015 I will not be using any English, nor reading any. As such, I won't be on here. PM at will, but I won't be checking/posting unless in emergencies. Certainly not for the first couple of months. Please berate me savagely if I break that rule...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:25 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just goes to prove that becoming a parent destroys all ability to think rationally...
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:26 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:
And if I release a balloon at a certain time, something mytiscal and magical will happen


Well, maybe a swan will die having tried to swallow the burst balloons remains.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bazza
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:29 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet grief whores FTW. Thumbs Up Mr. Green Thumbs Up
____________________
"That's it. You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college."
'98 Ducati 750SS, '08 Suzuki GSX650F ©2004-2014, Bazza's Harmless Banter
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:08 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to be detached and unemotional to stories like this. Yes I would have been angry and then a bit sad but thats about it. Until I got pregnant and relised that how could anyone do that to a baby the carried and gave birth to and I cried my eyes out. I cry at abandoned dogs on tv now. Ok I have an excuse or hormones but being a soon to be mum, it does effect me more stuff like this. I think if you think of your own child or baby and see how fragile they are you cant imagine how this child must have felt and went through. Crying or Very sad ok someone pass the kleenex Crying or Very sad

Anyway I joined one baby P group on facebook and I am actually sick of getting invited to them all now. One is enough. Also getting loads of text messages with their names and addresses in it. Rolling Eyes sorry but they are arrested already what should I do fly to england and look for their house?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:14 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonfly, I'll let it slide (for now) because pregnant women are even more mental than normal ones.

I've just been 'informed' by one of the people who invited me that the group she is inviting me to is worth it because they're actually doing something...

They're holding a march to downing street on december 13th and if you can't make that then you should release a blue balloon.

What the hell does a march achieve? Yes, someone messed up, they know this, it's being dealt with, if you're going to do that then you might as well organise another march to downing street to tell them there's a credit crunch.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Dragonfly
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:18 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun wrote:
Dragonfly, I'll let it slide (for now) because pregnant women are even more mental than normal ones.

.


Thank you Crying or Very sad I hope to return to my former stone hearted bitch after but I doubt it.

I dont see the point in a march either, no harm to anyone but there was plenty of babies and kids killed like this and none of them got a march. I vagely remember a child that was burned with ciggerettes and suffered horrible and no one batted an eye lid to it.

If anything it should just make people more aware of child abuse. The lynch mob is begining to annoy me a bit.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

SoulRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Nov 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
bonny_ricardo wrote:
Who remembers the 'Find Maddie' ones Rolling Eyes


Or worse, all the hysteria when Di died.

All the best

Keith


All the hysteria that's still going on. Every time i hear another news story or panorama exclusive into the 19th reinvestigation into Diana's death i want to throw my TV out of the window.

Its happened, its over with let the woman rest in peace and stop dragging all this up. Only reason stories like this keep hitting the media time and time again is because it improves ratings which improves income. It also provides a story when there is nothing else better to report on.
____________________
My Bike Pics
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Tarmacsurfer
World Chat Champion



Joined: 29 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:14 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polite note to the OP:Slightly off topic here, please excuse my rambling, Jon.


The Di frenzy had a very personal impact on me. Not because I liked or had any respect for her but because in the days following her death (including the day she died, I was working a weekend shift) there was abuse hurled at me and in two cases people actively trying to injure me simply because I was on a bike. And as all the newpapers were telling us, it was someone on a bike chasing the car that made "the peoples pricess" (/gag) crash. It was not a pleasant time to be dizzying.

Thankfully it died down inside a day or so, but I'll always remember one florid and frothing face sceaming "you scum should just die" as I filtered through Coventry and he opened the car door on me.

It was a good lesson in mob mentality.
____________________
I'm immortal. Well, so far.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Mudskipper
World Chat Champion



Joined: 22 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:15 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoulRider wrote:
It also provides a story when there is nothing else better to report on.


[tinfoil hat]OR distracts from a story that THEY don't want to be noticed as much... Shocked [/tinfoil hat]
____________________
CBR125|||GSXR400|||CBR400|||CBR400|||CB250RS|||GSXR750|||CB250RS Mr. Green
"You're clumsy, you eat too much and you behave like a 12 year old boy. But you know what? Every once in a while, you find a thumb."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JonB
Afraid of Mileage



Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:16 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be honest, how many Blue balloons will you see fluttering in the air?

None, that's because most of the dumb people who act like they care fail to have the intellect that to make a balloon fly into the air you need Helium.
____________________
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it?s worth.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:33 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but you can fill a balloon with helium very easily from a birthday shop, or indeed an enterprising person might buy a canister of helium or two, which only costs around thirty five quid (I know this cos I bought two for anita's birthday last week)

Air balloons will still float, just not as high.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

hellkat
Super Spammer



Joined: 12 Jul 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:35 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

As each canister does around 30-40 balloons, if you sat in a public place with a rake of blue balloons on whatever day it is they are banging on about, and if you sold them for a pound each, you'd make you money back, if you sold them for £1.50 each you'd make a tidy profit and go home by morning tea time.
____________________
Not nearly as interesting in real life.


Last edited by hellkat on 14:59 - 21 Nov 2008; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to admit that since becoming a parent i am moved a lot more when i hear the news these days, and this whole Baby P thing made me feel sick to my stomach. It still does. Just the thought of what that poor kid had to endure, all alone in a world of hell for months and months, completely and utterly helpless, and hopeless.

Try and imagine what that must be like, like really imagine. In all honesty i can't, i can't even begin to imagine the horror he went through, and that makes me sad. It also makes me sad because it reminds me that there must be many other kids in similar postions, as we speak, all around the country, all around the world.

But i generally keep that grief to myself (with this obvious exception) and i've never had this hive mind that starts joining groups and letting balloons go, and if i felt pressure as some of you have described, it wouldn't bother me, i would just ignore it. I know it's sad, but i don't feel the need to prove to others that i feel that way, and i couldn't care less what those who do pressure others think at all.

The only thing that concerns me really, is that the feelings of sorrow for such a tragic and terrible event, are sometimes lost or replaced by anger at all the peripheral stuff surrounding it; the media convulsions, the fake emotions by the general public and their desire to show how affected they are, pressure from facebook..etc etc.

It troubles me sometimes that, for the wont of a better phrase, sometimes the baby gets thrown out with the bath water in situations like these. Don't bother feeling sad for the kid, get angry at everyone else instead.

Like yesterday, one of my co-workers was more concerned about the effect the Baby P thing had on his news, in that it was taking up his football results time or something, and hadn't really given any consideration to what that kid must have gone through. Too concerned about getting angry at the meeja than to spend that time thinking about what really matters.

I'm not suggesting anyone here has done that, btw, but some people do, and i find that sad in itself as well.


Talking of Maddie jokes..did you hear the one about...........
____________________
A Guide To Powerbands
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AJI
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Aug 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:41 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
bonny_ricardo wrote:
Who remembers the 'Find Maddie' ones Rolling Eyes


Or worse, all the hysteria when Di died.

All the best

Keith


Thank merry hell that facebook didn't exist back then, I can't imagine the horrific number of groups that would exist on the subject.
____________________
TARMAC - Automotive blog *UPDATED 26/3/09 - Abandoned fuel stations to go electric? ~ Buy my eBay stuff!
You're gonna go far, kid
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

J0Al1
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think especially when you have your own kids, you can, if you want, imagine it as if it had happened to your own. That thought might make you cry.

But realistically,I dont see how those emotions can be for the child in question. Just maybe empathetic.

Facebook group for it? What the hell is the point in than. Big waste of time and a bit pathetic really, as I dont think there are many people in the world that would actually stand up and do anything positive about it. Just resting their own guilt for probably not giving too much of a shit.

Penny Coin
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Steve H
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Oct 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:45 - 21 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balloons? Marching? All you need is a couple of people on floats chucking boiled sweets into a crowd of onlookers and soon you'll have Billy Smart setting up his big tent on the wasteland just outside town.
____________________
Mellow Yellow
The BCF Top TEN - 2010, 2009, 2008, The Original.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 323 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.46 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 144.6 Kb