Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


An engine to play with.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:49 - 24 Nov 2008    Post subject: An engine to play with. Reply with quote

Hi guys, i'd like to get hold of a cheap but functional 4 stroke engine to really just rip apart, rebuild and learn on the way, perhaps just trying a few things to it also. Ideally it would be OHC.

Now I'm curious, I'd like to fire it up once I've rebuilt it is tehre anyway it can be fired up on a bench with just an external fuel supply and what would I need electrical wise? The original loom I guess?

Appreciate your advice.

Kind regards
____________________
**WAS FITTED "WRONG WAY ROUND" !** CANT ACCOUNT FOR THE STUPID !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chillyman0
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:58 - 24 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

just go for a little single cylinder carbed like from those shitty chinese imprt 125's, can probs pick them up real cheap as the rest of the bike gives up waaaay before the engine (as i found out), in fact you could have mine if you wanted it, been sat in my garden for bloody ages doing nothing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:59 - 24 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose an air cooled motor may be easier as less to worry about if you do want to try and run it afterwards.

A squirt of petrol direct into the carbs should be enough to get some fuel into the system to fire it up.

There should be plenty of cheap engines off of ebay and the likes, or what about a cheap Chinese pitbike engine?

I had the same idea as you but was thinking more along the lines of a minimoto engine as a little smaller (obviously) and less to lug around. I still think the wife would have thrown a fit if I'd done it on the dining room table though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rotax81
Nearly there...



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:26 - 24 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would go for a whole bike. reason being you will have the coil, tank, wiring etc etc there already and an engine fired up on a bench wont be on the bench long if it isnt clamped down tight.
a knackered pit bike would be ideal.
the last motor i ran on my bench was an 18cc strimmer motor. i had to clamp it in my vice Thumbs Up
____________________
ZX636C6F road. ZX636C1H track. ZX7R redundant. ZX0.5R minimoto as ornament.
Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi and VW Transporter 2.5TDi 888 Special (no mot and tax lol)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:32 - 24 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

chillyman0 wrote:
just go for a little single cylinder carbed like from those shitty chinese imprt 125's, can probs pick them up real cheap as the rest of the bike gives up waaaay before the engine (as i found out), in fact you could have mine if you wanted it, been sat in my garden for bloody ages doing nothing


certainly appreciate the offer may take you up on that if I could sort delivery out.

Whosthedaddy wrote:
I suppose an air cooled motor may be easier as less to worry about if you do want to try and run it afterwards.

A squirt of petrol direct into the carbs should be enough to get some fuel into the system to fire it up.

There should be plenty of cheap engines off of ebay and the likes, or what about a cheap Chinese pitbike engine?

I had the same idea as you but was thinking more along the lines of a minimoto engine as a little smaller (obviously) and less to lug around. I still think the wife would have thrown a fit if I'd done it on the dining room table though.


Yeh definitely thought simple like an air cooled of some kind.

My initial dream was (still is) to get a ZXR 750 engine and strip and rebuild that do a few tweaks then drop it in my zxr frame, at least I'd have a use for it after I had opened it up.

But moneys very tight at the moment since I've xferred jobs and it won't be till the new year till I get my hands on a ZXR engine but frankly I can't wait that long to get my hands dirty so thinking of something cheap and cheerful just so I can piss about with on the winter nights. Tv's crap at the moment anyway and it gets me out the flat.

I too had visions of laying out a sheet on the bedroom floor and stripping it down but then realsied I'd be shot for it. Luckily missues dad's got this big warehousey, garage thing with lights and electricity he doesn't use. Oh and it's just a few yards away. I'm game.
____________________
**WAS FITTED "WRONG WAY ROUND" !** CANT ACCOUNT FOR THE STUPID !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chillyman0
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:39 - 24 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coxyzxr wrote:
chillyman0 wrote:
just go for a little single cylinder carbed like from those shitty chinese imprt 125's, can probs pick them up real cheap as the rest of the bike gives up waaaay before the engine (as i found out), in fact you could have mine if you wanted it, been sat in my garden for bloody ages doing nothing


certainly appreciate the offer may take you up on that if I could sort delivery out.


where abouts are you?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Coxyzxr
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 22 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 24 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably far from you. Exeter, devon.
____________________
**WAS FITTED "WRONG WAY ROUND" !** CANT ACCOUNT FOR THE STUPID !
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

rotax81
Nearly there...



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:44 - 24 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

by his profile it looks like north of torquay and south of exeter Thumbs Up
____________________
ZX636C6F road. ZX636C1H track. ZX7R redundant. ZX0.5R minimoto as ornament.
Audi A4 Avant 1.9TDi and VW Transporter 2.5TDi 888 Special (no mot and tax lol)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

chillyman0
Nearly there...



Joined: 11 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:46 - 24 Nov 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

rotax81 wrote:
by his profile it looks like north of torquay and south of exeter Thumbs Up


lol thanks, completely forgot bout checking his profile.
well im eaither oxfordshire or hertfordshire if that helps atall
you are welcome to try and sort out picking up/ delivery of the engine....
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 315 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 1.04 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 61.93 Kb