 rusty_bawz Scooby Slapper
Joined: 28 Oct 2008 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 19:39 - 28 Nov 2008 Post subject: Home brew again |
 |
|
after the recent home brew thread, Me and the missus decided to give it a try and bought a wine kit and a been kit.
now I thought we only needed the beer makers sugar for the been but it turns out we need it for the wine too.
now can I use granulated sugar (household stuff) or do I need to go buy beersugar??
if i have to use beer makers are there any high street shops that sell it or will I have to buy online??
cheers
crumley ____________________ www.scottishbikerforum.myfreeforum.org
come in and say hello |
|
 ThoughtContro... World Chat Champion

Joined: 14 Aug 2008 Karma :   
|
|
 LeeR World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 20:30 - 28 Nov 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
As a preference I always found Tate & Lyle (cane sugar) of a slightly higher quality for making alcohol, than Silver Spoon (beet sugar), though they are both refined by British Sugar.
If making beer I would definitely use cane as I seem to remember that a beer yeast can't metabolise beet sugar as well as cane. Cane sugar also tastes better, but I've only been able to buy it in Sainsbury's and Waitrose of late as everyone else (Asda, Tesco, Wilko etc...) only seem to sell beet sugar. ____________________ My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen... |
|