|
|
| Author |
Message |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Keir |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Keir World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:13 - 02 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
stroll in and ask if they do corporate discount for **** company over the road there. ____________________ Current : '08 Yamaha FZ1s
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| tatters |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 tatters Exxon Valdez

Joined: 05 Jan 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:20 - 02 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Blagging worked for me, l got a £20 per month platinum deal with fitness first because l told them l worked for JP Morgan stupid buggers took a service engineer door card l found as proof l worked for them.  ____________________ Past:NRG50,AF1125(x2),NSR125RR,ZZR250,CX500,VFR400,KR1S,ZZR600(x2),CB400N,YZF1000(x2),KH125,Z200,FX400R,CBR954RR(x2)GPZ500S,GT550,VFR750F(x2),RD350N,XR650R,CBR600F,CB250,KDX250,YZF750R,CRM250,400EXC,KLR650,TTR600RE,DR350S,R100GSPD,RGV250,VMAX1200,DL650,KZ750 Present:G650XC,C12,CRF450X,1190ADV |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| garth |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 garth World Chat Champion
Joined: 15 Dec 2004 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| trevoriv |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 trevoriv World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| The Shaggy D.A. |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 The Shaggy D.A. Super Spammer

Joined: 12 Sep 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 17:58 - 03 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
£70?!?!?
I'd want a full massage with happy ending after every workout for that. ____________________ Chances are quite high you are not in my Monkeysphere, and I don't care about you. Don't take it personally.
Currently : Royal Enfield 350 Meteor
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 18:08 - 03 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
This business park has the HQ of Microsoft and Oracle in the UK, so there's plenty of 'big hitters' around for them to justify silly prices .
Unfortunately I suspect the company actually has to pay for it's staff to get discount rates, so doubt they'll do much. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GhostRider |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GhostRider World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 11:24 - 04 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| The Shaggy D.A. wrote: | £70?!?!?
I'd want a full massage with happy ending after every workout for that. |
+1, I'd definately want a sucky suck and a love me long time for that price.
It wont really matter how far the gym is from your work, if you dont want to go you will find an excuse to convince yourself with to justify you not going, believe me, I know. So save your money, especially in these economic times, and go somewhere cheaper. Kinda goes for the class of women at either gym as well - arent you supposed to be working out, or do you intend to be "that guy" that hangs around just chatting to birds, occasionally glancing at a dumbell but thinking better of it
GhostRider ____________________ I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nc30 chick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nc30 chick Traffic Copper

Joined: 13 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 12:38 - 04 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have you tried just walking in and asking what is the best price they can offer you? Mention things like trial membership and ask what payment terms they offer (at some gyms it's cheaper to pay a lump sum, 3/6/12 months, as opposed to monthly).
It's rarely done in this country but you can generally barter and ask for discount. I've found that if they want your money, and let's face it with all the financial bad news, what company doesn't, they'll bend.
If it was my father he'd probably walk in and ask when their buy one, get one free offer was starting and go on from there. ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:00 - 04 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| GhostRider wrote: |
It wont really matter how far the gym is from your work, if you dont want to go you will find an excuse to convince yourself with to justify you not going, believe me, I know. So save your money, especially in these economic times, and go somewhere cheaper. |
Actually, it does make a difference for me - I went to the gym a lot more when I was working in Maidenhead and going past it every day.
I've just got a new job paying 20% more, so 'current economic climate' isn't exactly relevant to my current situation (still not on megabucks sadly, but at least better than I was). Quite reasonably, it won't be too much out of that raise to pay a bit extra for this gym, but I'd still prefer not to.
Sadly I'm generally pretty crap at standing around chatting to random women, so it doesn't apply to me - just an off hand comment .
nc30 chick - don't suppose you know if there any ways to blag cheaper gym membership knowing people that go to the gym on the scheme already etc? Another web site I found suggested this was possible, but didn't go into details.
Any general comments about the gym? |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| map |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 map Mr Calendar

Joined: 14 Jun 2004 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 14:07 - 04 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I take it you've read the obvious moneysavingexpert.com Gym Membership Cost Cutting page. ____________________ ...and the whirlwind is in the thorn trees, it's hard for thee to kick against the pricks...
Gibbs, what did Duckie look like when he was younger?  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| GhostRider |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 GhostRider World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 Jan 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 14:39 - 04 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| G wrote: | | GhostRider wrote: |
It wont really matter how far the gym is from your work, if you dont want to go you will find an excuse to convince yourself with to justify you not going, believe me, I know. So save your money, especially in these economic times, and go somewhere cheaper. |
Actually, it does make a difference for me - I went to the gym a lot more when I was working in Maidenhead and going past it every day.
I've just got a new job paying 20% more, so 'current economic climate' isn't exactly relevant to my current situation (still not on megabucks sadly, but at least better than I was). Quite reasonably, it won't be too much out of that raise to pay a bit extra for this gym, but I'd still prefer not to.
Sadly I'm generally pretty crap at standing around chatting to random women, so it doesn't apply to me - just an off hand comment .
|
Fair do's, I get twitchy when a gym starts asking for more than £30 a month so theres no way I'd pay £70+, no matter how much I was earning.
GhostRider ____________________ I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:25 - 04 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I haven't read that specific page, but I think I've got most of it covered.
Was using the Canons deal until now. David Lloyd are offering a '12 day trial' (which you have to pay for) at the moment, so think I'll take that and see what offers they have in the new year... wouldn't be using much over the actual Christmas time either.
If I look at it from a money factor, I'm probably going to be getting something like £15ph after tax (more if you discount holidays etc)... so if we say that that's about what my time is 'worth' (I'd actually value spare time higher, personally ) then consider a few hours saved here and there from going in at lunch time rather than after work and it can be considered to make economic sense to use a stupidly expensive gym closer to work. But, yes, I really don't like the idea of paying such ridiculous amounts. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nc30 chick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nc30 chick Traffic Copper

Joined: 13 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| FreshAL |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 FreshAL Sir Crashalot

Joined: 04 Jul 2005 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| trevoriv |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 trevoriv World Chat Champion

Joined: 04 Jun 2005 Karma :  
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| iooi |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 iooi Super Spammer

Joined: 14 Jan 2007 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 00:09 - 05 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Have been to a few spinning classes at current gym I go to - not sure I make a very attractive proposition during or after them!
A run at lunch time would be a bad idea - running does my back in. Also, I'm wanting some upper-body stuff for 'cardio' (ie rowing) for various bike racing (off and on road) where it's useful. (Did wonder if there's any canoe clubs around there in the summer, though ).
Lunch times was an example of where it would save time over going to a different gym; where I'd be paying something still. May well be able to get a flexible lunch hour for gym days - will see when I'm settled in.
Generally save time if I wanted to go after work too (though undoubtedly be packed straight after.)
I am planning to have a word, but being a new and small company, I doubt they'll be able or willing to get a decent deal.
I'm set on this place as I know how I work and reckon it'll end up with me being a fair bit fitter than other options - just want to try and achieve that as cheaply as possible .
Ta for the thoughts all . |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| nc30 chick |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 nc30 chick Traffic Copper

Joined: 13 Jul 2004 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| G |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 G The Voice of Reason
Joined: 02 Feb 2002 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 15:36 - 09 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
They weren't budging at all on the price and from what I've heard, yes they do check with HR departments so didn't try blagging working for a different company .
Can take an extended lunch hour from my place if required and work later; so an hour and a half exercise at the gym is fairly reasonable.
Also, no showers at work, so it'd be useful with the intention of push-biking in, in the future (whether I'd get up early enough to do some gym stuff before showers is another matter!) |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| steppen22 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 steppen22 World Chat Champion

Joined: 18 Feb 2008 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 21:48 - 09 Jan 2009 Post subject: |
 |
|
This post illustrates nicely how completely daft gym goers are.
A) get a pushbike
B) go for a run
c) jump in a river. Swim.
d) go climb a mountain.
e) cross country through a forest
f) sunday afternoon walk.
g) Get the gear from Argos and kit out a home gym for a few thou. Much better investment.
I'm flabergasted that someone is seriously considering these fees. It's utter madness. There's a whole world out there - it's free! - where you can get super fit climbing, descending, running, exploring, rolling, meandering.
I can't think of anything duller than being stuck in a poxy gym with lots of corporate smoos (from Microsoft no less). Jesus, a lunch break is about getting away from all that bullshit.
Gym going is, in general, lazy and unimaginative. To get arse raped just short a ton each month is not only lazy and unimaginative, it's moronic.
Seriously man, surely you can do better with a payrise than that? ____________________ no regrets, no retreat, no apology.
I've made mistakes in the past, and I apologise for FUCK ALL. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 272 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|