|
|
| Author |
Message |
| TPR42 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TPR42 L Plate Warrior
Joined: 04 Dec 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:11 - 04 Dec 2008 Post subject: Honda VFR 750F 1988 model. |
 |
|
Hello to everybody on BCF, I've just signed up and have a question already
I only bought the VFR 750 last week and when I went to view it, the bike sounded beautiful and I rode home from Blackburn to Southport without any problems.
It's been a tad cold this week here in the North West but I've ran the bike everyday though sometimes it's been a sod to start ie: I think the starter is acting up a bit as all that happens is you can hear the starter when you press the start button, but it's not turning the engine, then when I release the button and try again then the engine turns over and the bike starts no problem.
Ok so todays problem is strange, I wanted to nip out on the bike, went to fire her up and she started on the second attempt off the button, full choke on then after a minute or so after running on 2 cylinders she started to run on 4 which I was told this is normal, so when the bike was warming up and the revs were up I closed the Choke, then on tick over I hear this noise in the engine
Sounded like a chain rattling around or maybe a bolt floating around in the head. I switched her off and started her again and she started first time and throttles ok but this noise I don't know what it can be and it looks like I'm gonna have to take the head off to investigate. Has any member got any experience with this type of engine may be able to advise me what it could be ?
I'm gutted because I spent all my rainy day money on the bike and now looks like I'll have to try and fix this myself. I did take it up the Road and everything is running fine apart from this horrible noise.
All fluids everything is as it should be, all been replaced and at the correct levels. Somebody had suggested to start by taking out the spark plugs and check them over and change them if nessasary., as it maybe a misfiring cylinder though I have to say it sounds more than that.
Ahh the joys of me getting back into the biking scene, been away from them for the last 10 years and just want to get out there and ride.
TPR42 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 22:25 - 04 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
As far as I'm aware, there are no chains in a VFR750 engine at all, not even one that old so scrub that from the list.
There is probably something wrong with your starter clutch or idler gear although the one on my 750FV occasionally fails to hook up.
I would be going along the same lines as your mate and looking at a misfire initially. It isn't normal for it to run on 2 cylinders when started. Mine fires up on all four straight away every time.
So sparkplugs would be a logical place to start.
Had it sat for any length of time before you bought it? Have you fuelled her up since? Might be fuel contamination/water in the fuel causing one cylinder to drop out periodically.
Failing that, it might be worth taking a look at the starter mechanism incase something has come adrift. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TPR42 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TPR42 L Plate Warrior
Joined: 04 Dec 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:38 - 04 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hello stinkwheel many thanks for the quick reply, appreciate this
As far as I know m8 the bike has been getting used from the previous seller. I have no reason to doubt him as he was a honest fella, think that what has happened today may just be a bit of bad luck on my side.
When I bought the bike last Friday the gauge was on reserve so when I payed the fella I asked were the local garage was as it won't get me home, anyway the garage was at the end of his Street so I stuck a tenners worth in at Esso, not put any in since.
I'll try and have a look at the starter motor and the plugs tomorrow m8 weather permitting and I'll post back here. Thank you for the pointers
I'm just hoping it's nothing serious, fingers crossed and I am panicking over nothing serious.
TPR42 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Robby |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Robby Dirty Old Man

Joined: 16 May 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TPR42 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TPR42 L Plate Warrior
Joined: 04 Dec 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 00:32 - 07 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Good evening robby, thank you for the reply and the help
I've got the tank off and fairing, seat etc so I can check the spark plugs, will have to nip to Halfrauds tomorrow though as I have to Spark plug sockets and one is too big and the other is too small, that's just my luck though. I think it might be a 18mm socket I need. I'll wizz the starter off aswell, will get back here on my findings.
Thanks again.
Regards,
TPR. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| hmmmnz |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 hmmmnz Super Spammer

Joined: 22 Aug 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 02:51 - 07 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
i used to have an old vf750 and that was pritty bad for eating plugs.
do as stink wheel has said and replace the plugs, do an oil and filter change, and pull off your carbs and give them a good clean,
all easy stuff, but its always that stuff that gets over looked
good luck ____________________ the humans are dead
I kick arse for the lord
Wiring Diagrams BIDNIP it bitches |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| TPR42 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 TPR42 L Plate Warrior
Joined: 04 Dec 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 16:19 - 07 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Hello to you hmmmnz
Thanks mate, I'll try what you say and get back here and let you know
I took the starter off this affy and was hoping there maybe a sign that the teeth maybe worn but no sign of any defect, looks fine so my next step is to wizz the plugs out and update you helpful people here  |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 303 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|