|
|
| Author |
Message |
| alun111 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 alun111 World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 22:58 - 06 Dec 2008 Post subject: Head torches |
 |
|
Hi, I was thinking about putting a head torch on my christmas list! (Really struggling to think of things I want)
I thought it would be ideal in those situations on a dark road broken down, or just at night in the garage when working on the bike.
I would want it to be:
Small and (not too important) lightweight.
Have a good battery.
Most importantly be BRIGHT.
Does anyone have one they'd like to recommend? I'm looking for people's opinion on one's they've used themselves.
Cheers people. ____________________ Summer: '00 Honda CB600F Hornet
Winter: '93 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit VP Variable Valve
Past Bikes: Lifan LF100-5 Lifan LF125-A Honda C70 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| plugger147 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 plugger147 World Chat Champion

Joined: 13 Mar 2005 Karma :     
|
 Posted: 23:25 - 06 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I borrowed a Petzl head torch of one of the neighbours in a light night fix it situation, was a cracking piece of kit. Don't know the model number but it cost him £45.  ____________________ Tristan the wrote: just whipped off my trousers to find a big bruise on my arse, caused by matt rear ending me... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| ajb |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 ajb Crazy Courier
Joined: 14 May 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 23:34 - 06 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Petzl are king when it comes to headtorches.
I have a Petzl Tikka, it's powered by 3x AAAs and has 3 LEDs which are a blue/white colour. I don't know how much it costs but I would estimate £25, it is middle of the range.
It's fantastic for trying to find things in a dark shed/tent/garage.
It is bright and has a nice even area of focus of intensity, not like a bulb one where the intensity is varied.
I would suggest taking a look at their website and seeing what's available then looking at prices to see what best suits you. Can;t go wrong with any of the Petzl's though  ____________________ CBR125R '05 > CB500 '00 > CBR600F '99 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Whosthedaddy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Whosthedaddy Super Spammer
Joined: 11 Dec 2005 Karma :    
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| divuk83 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 divuk83 World Chat Champion
Joined: 27 Nov 2003 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 23:58 - 06 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I have a Petzl Tikka XP, useful for working on the bike, working on computers, camping etc. Very bright and the batteries last ages.
Can get them cheap from F&T plus there are usually good discount codes for the online shop.
https://www.vouchercodes.com/vouchers/fieldandtrek.htm
Dave |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| EuropeanNC30R... |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 EuropeanNC30R... Gay Hairdresser
Joined: 20 Jun 2002 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| stinkwheel |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 stinkwheel Bovine Proctologist

Joined: 12 Jul 2004 Karma :    
|
 Posted: 00:11 - 07 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Another vote for Petzel Tikka
There are brighter ones, there are ones with more functions but it is compact, well made and efficient on batteries. It will also survive being dunked in water. ____________________ “Rule one: Always stick around for one more drink. That's when things happen. That's when you find out everything you want to know.”
I did the 2010 Round Britain Rally on my 350 Bullet. 89 landmarks, 3 months, 9,500 miles. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Stoo |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Stoo PoshBoy
Joined: 11 May 2006 Karma :     
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| alun111 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 alun111 World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 May 2007 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 04:31 - 07 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Thanks for all of your replies... I was thinking about the Petzl E-Lite. Has anyone got one of these or heard anything good? Any thoughts?
Cheers once again  ____________________ Summer: '00 Honda CB600F Hornet
Winter: '93 Suzuki GSF 400 Bandit VP Variable Valve
Past Bikes: Lifan LF100-5 Lifan LF125-A Honda C70 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Serendipity |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Serendipity World Chat Champion

Joined: 07 Jun 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 10:48 - 07 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Yet another vote for genuine Petzl head torches. However I bought a Zipka Plus. It’s basically exactly the same as the Tikka Plus except that it has a retractable strap. I find this is more compact and easier to pull out of a bag. The retractable strap is just a spring loaded wire, but it sits very securely and it’s never slipped or fallen off despite being used for some fairly vigorous activities.
It gets used for crawling around behind dark server racks, packing\unpacking the boot of the car when you’ve covered the courtesy light, going camping, once for a breakdown and very occasionally for climbing or hiking at night. ____________________ 2007 CBF1000 & 2016 CBF1000F - Commuter heaven | 1994 CBR600FR - Awaiting defibrillation |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| cagiva gezzer |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 cagiva gezzer World Chat Champion
Joined: 17 Mar 2003 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| LeeR |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 LeeR World Chat Champion

Joined: 12 Dec 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 11:19 - 07 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
I can't believe Petzl have moved on to these more complicated designs. I've got one similar to this: Petzl Head Torch on eBay, I can't remember the model name/number but I bought it about 15 years ago for £35 and it's still going strong. I upgraded the bulb with a halogen one, and because the batteries can be difficult to source (miles from anywhere civilised) I also bought the 3xAA adaptor.
They're excellent, compact, reliable, robust, usable, and with a halogen bulb incredibly powerful.
EDIT: As an aside I'd never part with mine, so it amazes me that so many are for sale second-hand on eBay ____________________ My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen... |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| multijoy |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 multijoy World Chat Champion

Joined: 03 Oct 2008 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 19:05 - 07 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
These are great!
Cheap but solid. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| alun111 |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 alun111 World Chat Champion

Joined: 31 May 2007 Karma :   
|
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 312 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|