 Smooth Could Be A Chat Bot

Joined: 21 Apr 2008 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 12:25 - 08 Dec 2008 Post subject: Pilot screw checking/setting -Worth doing |
 |
|
My bike has never been good at idling until thoroughly warmed-up and there was always a slight 'hiccup' (that could result in a stall) whilst stationary with no throttle.
Cleaning and balancing the carbs a while ago meant that on the move the bike was fine, but idle wasn't good without a slight opening of the throttle.
I finally got around to adjusting the pilots the other day and discovered that the anti-tamper caps had already been removed by someone else and that the screws were wound out quite a way -different on each carb.
Setting the screws to the richer end of the factory settings - 1 3/4 turns out, the improvement was significant. The bike idles smoothly on closed throttle with no 'hiccuping' and I was able to reduce the idle speed. Throttle response from closed seems improved too. the bike is going to be in great nick when I come to sell it
I'm assuming that the pilots had been adjusted in the past as a bodge to compensate (compromise) for the previously clogged pilot jets.
If you've got a second-hand bike it's worth checking the pilots and (on a parallel twin) it is much quicker and easier than I expected it to be. The simple tweaks are often the best!  ____________________ TDM850 |
|