Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Ice skating

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:51 - 08 Dec 2008    Post subject: Ice skating Reply with quote

Since getting together with my girlfriend we have been to see a few ice hockey matches, she's followed a team for the last 10 years or so.

I wouldn't mind having a go at it myself - been told to get myself down to do some training on Friday nights, problem is that I can't skate Laughing

Does anyone here play, or just skate? The last time I tried to skate was years ago, before I started riding bikes, so I had no balance... but I'm tempted to try again now.

Any advice for people starting out with skating?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

oldpink
World Chat Champion



Joined: 02 Aug 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:58 - 08 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

like any other sport equipment is a vital part, first thing you'll need is a good set of skates
the hire ones from most rinks suck big time, next make sure there sharpened
I skated for years and after the first week or two I picked it up pretty easily
and although I never played with a regular team as such we played hockey
on a local frozen pond most winters, and what I found is fitness is about 80% and skill is about 20% of the game
____________________
I have become comfortably numb

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

ColdInsomnia
World Chat Champion



Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:38 - 08 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ice skate a lot. I haven't been in some time because the Ice Rink in Cardiff was closed down and moved to the bay... a lot harder to get to now but hey.

As said before, the most important thing by far you'll want if you want to take ice skating seriously is a decent pair of ice skates. You can pick up a good enough pair for a starter from around £60. My first pair of skates were CCM's, and they lasted me a good couple years Thumbs Up

You'll also want to make sure your skates are actually sharpened pretty regularly. For the love of God DON'T try to sharpen them yourself. Take them into a skate shop (such as where you bought your skates) or sometimes they'll do it in the ice rink, usually doesn't cost more than £2 and takes a few minutes.

As for skating itself... well... practise Smile It's similar to, but very different from roller skating. Hard to explain. I also find it far more rewarding and enthralling than roller skating since Ice is a beautiful thing and you can bend a lot of rules to your liking.

Also, once you get the knack of spraying from your skates, you'll never want to stop showering fellow skaters in waves of ice Very Happy
____________________
Yamaha YB100 | Yamaha TZR125 | Yamaha XJ600S | Suzuki GSF600
"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
John Lennon
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:41 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well when I was a kid I had rollerboots with 4 wheels rather than Blades, could never get the hang of blade when I tried them. However first time I tried Ice skating I was pretty confident and quick within minutes, so I think the two are fairly different. How good the skates are and the ice make a huge difference, been to the one in Coventry quite a few times and the ice is good but the skates are hit and miss. Was at one near Belfast lastweek and the ice was apalling and the skates were too, I fell over nicely 3 times, I've never fallen over through my own fault once before that...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

SoND
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Jul 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:47 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenix wrote:
Was at one near Belfast lastweek and the ice was apalling and the skates were too, I fell over nicely 3 times, I've never fallen over through my own fault once before that...


Dundonald?

Last time I was there the skates were blunt as hell and each end of the rink was full of water. Laughing

A bike jacket is great when skating, can fall over as much as you want and stay painfree and dry.
____________________
Go back to bed - You have no rights - "Streetfighters ~ Mainstream motorcycling's crackwhore sister."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:33 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoND wrote:
Dundonald?

Last time I was there the skates were blunt as hell and each end of the rink was full of water. Laughing


Bangor one was even worse (not sure it is still open). By the end of a session if you fell over anywhere on the ice you were drenched.

All theb est

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:48 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been ice skating only once, it was good fun, until I attempted to leave the ice towards the end, I fell over about 6 feet from the exit gate and smashed my face on the floor, 2 or 3 stitches above the eye I seem to remember and a few wasted hours in A+E on saturday night. The ice blood splatter was vaguely impressive.

I am perhaps not a natural ice skater Laughing It was fun before that though I'm surprisingly not in a hurry to go again.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:30 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
I've been ice skating only once, it was good fun, until I attempted to leave the ice towards the end, I fell over about 6 feet from the exit gate and smashed my face on the floor, 2 or 3 stitches above the eye I seem to remember and a few wasted hours in A+E on saturday night. The ice blood splatter was vaguely impressive.


That seems very familiar. First every time I went ice skating I skating round OK but falling over a lot (no problem, decent rink so you stayed pretty dry). Got to the end of the session, skated to the exit and fell over a couple of meters from it. And broke my wrist and landed up in A&E.

Been a few times since then, but cannot keep any confidence. Get to the end of a session and can skate round OK, but go back the next day and I would be back to square one.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

firefox
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:50 - 09 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

can i ask are you from near whitleybay by any chance ?
____________________
bye bye gti <^>( ' . ' )<^>
*officer* what caused the crash ? *firefox* you see that wall up there sir ?
*officer* yes what about it *firefox* i tooted my horn but it refused to move i had to teach it a lesson.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Phoenix
Twisted Firestarter



Joined: 01 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:26 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoND wrote:
Dundonald?

Last time I was there the skates were blunt as hell and each end of the rink was full of water. Laughing



Yep, the Icebowl. Wasn't particurly wet and sloshy, but there were huge holes in the ice everywhere and ruts/slots all over the place, was a nightmare and the skates were awful. I don't believe there is one in Bangor anymore Keith, least not one I found.

I fell over and bashed my knee and elbow mostly and jarred wrists, hurt a bit but only noticed the bruises a couple of days after checking the damage after I fell on my ass getting out of the car on a petrol station forecourt, sheet ice right under my door Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 301 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.09 Sec - Server Load: 1.44 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 69.54 Kb