Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Helmets and Balaclava's

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

ham64
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:36 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Helmets and Balaclava's Reply with quote

Hi all

This is my first winter riding a bike and have a small question concerning helmets and balaclava's .

I have a Shoei Mutitec and the other day went to my local bike shop to buy a balaclava only to be told by the shop assistant that wearing a balaclava could stretch the inside of the lid and when I come to wear the lid in the summer without the balaclava the lid will be to big. They said this is what they were told by their Shoei Rep.

Now I have just spoken to the shop I brought the lid from and they have said it should be ok.

just not sure what to do, would appreciate any advice.

Great site by the way.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

s44678
Guest





PostPosted: 15:51 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get a fairly thin one, one specially designed for biking, and you should be ok.

You might get away with just a neck gaitor. Buy one and try it.
You can use it in spring / autumn anyway.
 Back to top
You must be logged in to rate posts

NexusDragon
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 23 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:24 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment I'm just using one of those cheap £5 Oxford cotton balaclavas, they're thin but keep the draft from getting up under your chin and through the top vents.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about it, i've been looking into getting a Coldkillers balaclava, just a pity they're a tad more expensive. As above, try getting a normal £5 jobby and see how it feels.
____________________
DAS Passed 19th April 08. 07' YBR125 > Yamaha FZ6 S2 '08 > 1998 YZF600R ThunderCat
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Pickledswede
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:49 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Oxford 'comfy' 's, £15 for three, but theyre basically a tube of stretchy material, you can fold it into loads of different types of headwear, i just pull it over my head and fold it down on my nose so it covers the lower part of my head and my neck, this keeps me perfectly warm and there is absolutely no way this is gonna stretch the helmet. You can make them into a balaclava too if you want to.

Surely if the lid is so tight that adding a thin ish piece of material in between it and your head will stretch it, it's far too tight anyway? I would have thought the difference would be minimal?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

The Disapproving Brit
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:56 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wear an open-face type balaclava anyway - the type that just covers your hair and neck. I find it keeps the inside of the helmet clean, since my cheap one doesn't have a removeable lining. In this weather, I'm also wearing either an Oxford Snug or Cold Killas Maxi, and no problems here.

I'd say that if the helmet feels significantly tighter with headwear on, then you're going to be pressing against the padding. If its still comfortable, you should be fine.
____________________
Current Bikes: 1983 Honda VF400FD / 2003 Honda VT750 Shadow
Bike Test Passed 18/03/09, Car Test Passed 14/05/13
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ajb
Crazy Courier



Joined: 14 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:39 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have lots of hair, don't get a haircut Laughing
____________________
CBR125R '05 > CB500 '00 > CBR600F '99
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:43 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a cheap Motrax neck bufferer thing. Pull it up to my nose and it keeps my neck and face warm. It's really thin too, I wouldn't worry about it stretching my lid liner out.

I have a thick cotton balaclava and wouldn't wear that under the lid. If it has removable padding, taking it out and giving it a wash can help them plump back up again.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:18 - 10 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just use a neck warmer/gator, fold it over and it keeps my neck nice and warm, I can pull it up over my mouth/nose if needed but I have an Oxford Toasty Face too for when it gets REALLY cold which I wear ontop of my neck warmer Thumbs Up
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

LeeR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will compress the padding, but as others have said it depends on how much hair you have.

I'm bald and wore a silk balaclava with my first helmet, and come spring when I stopped wearing it the helmet was a little loose.

If you just want to keep just your neck warm, buy a Buff Polar Buff or similar.
____________________
My claim to fame: Austin Vince nicked my pen...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ham64
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 10 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:16 - 11 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just like to say thanks to all your help.

I will give the neck warmer a go and work up to a balaclava if needed.

many thanks again
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 298 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 0.83 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 62.25 Kb