Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


50cc twist and go not really adequete.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

S-A-M
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: 50cc twist and go not really adequete. Reply with quote

Hi guys I just got my first twist and go and it's not really adequate, because I'm a six footer I had trouble finding a bike that fitted me so I went with the aprillia sport city 50.

Anyway the problems I have are

I live in the country and at the moment the roads are really muddy and I find myself loosing control a lot on the thick mud around the lanes and I've even fallen off a couple of times. Wich isn't good but even at 15mph I can feel the bike losing control and over I go.

Also I do a drive to school 7miles there and seven miles back and it'[s along a main road where the speed limit is 60 once I get out the lanes and I don't feel safe about being constantly and I do mean constantly over taken.

Also It will only do 35 and takes a long time to get there I really feel unsafe on these fast roads.

So could I change the tires to something that would give me more grip and could I also get the speed up a little even 40 or 45 would be good, a normal twenty minute drive takes me 40 minutes on the bike and it's extrememely tedious.

I even find it's a struggle to keep up with the flow of traffic in the local town.

I really want to sort this bike out as there were very few scoots available second hand (none that fitted me) so I ended up spending a fair amount on a brand new one.

Needless to say after all the money I'm a little frustrated.

Sorry for the long post thanks in advance for the help.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

gazzeh
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 01 Oct 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:19 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

aprilia rs50, im 6ft1 and its fine for me, (well was when i used 2 ride it) Got it for sale for £400
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

frez
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:42 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the tyre treads and tyre pressures.

It maybe possible to de-restict your moped and fit different rollers to get a higher top speed, but this will not be legal if you are only 16.

Command a position in the road and do not be forced into the curb where the road surface is worse and more dangerous. Riding in car tracks on dirty roads will help as their tyres will have cleared most of the muck from that area.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

ms51ves3
Super Spammer



Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:24 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

frez wrote:
Check the tyre treads and tyre pressures.

It maybe possible to de-restict your moped and fit different rollers to get a higher top speed, but this will not be legal if you are only 16.

Command a position in the road and do not be forced into the curb where the road surface is worse and more dangerous. Riding in car tracks on dirty roads will help as their tyres will have cleared most of the muck from that area.


Changing the rollers will do sod all apart from make performance worse.

The whole point of rollers is to keep the engine within the powerband. If he puts lighter rollers in a higher gear will be engaged too soon and the revs will drop.

If the scooter is standard, the rollers should be kept standard.

Sounds like it's already de-restricted to me if he can do 35mph. It's just slow because he's a big guy.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

frez
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:46 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

ms51ves3 wrote:
frez wrote:
Check the tyre treads and tyre pressures.

It maybe possible to de-restict your moped and fit different rollers to get a higher top speed, but this will not be legal if you are only 16.

Command a position in the road and do not be forced into the curb where the road surface is worse and more dangerous. Riding in car tracks on dirty roads will help as their tyres will have cleared most of the muck from that area.


Changing the rollers will do sod all apart from make performance worse.

The whole point of rollers is to keep the engine within the powerband. If he puts lighter rollers in a higher gear will be engaged too soon and the revs will drop.

If the scooter is standard, the rollers should be kept standard.

Sounds like it's already de-restricted to me if he can do 35mph. It's just slow because he's a big guy.


My son is a big 6'4 and on a crappy old unrestricted Peugeot it would do over 40, so 35 may or may not be restricted but I would be inclined to say probably not and it is just reading optimisticaly. It is worth checking out anyway.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

S-A-M
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:47 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it normal I found even 10 or 15 MPH I can start to feel like I'm losing it on the mud particularly on the corners that are literally coated.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

frez
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:52 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have normal road tyres then you will not feel stable on mud.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

S-A-M
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:03 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yeah It was new so I guess it's probably restriced it takes a while to get to 35 and will not do more downhill than it will do flat so restricted maybe?

I know it's not legal to remove restrictions but theoretically what is the likelyhood of being caught if it was derestriced?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

S-A-M
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:05 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

should I change the tyres then.

I don't know a lot about bikes but they're pretty smooth tyres and I'm guessing it wasn't designed fo country lanes covered in mud and other crap.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:34 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

S-A-M wrote:
should I change the tyres then.

I don't know a lot about bikes but they're pretty smooth tyres and I'm guessing it wasn't designed fo country lanes covered in mud and other crap.


Are you sure they're not just worn out?

If your tyres are smooth then you should definitely replace them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bike_craze1
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:15 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would of thought it would of done atleast 40mph de restricted.
____________________
Yamaha R125 - Cagiva Mito 125 - Honda CBR 600
CBT passed: 22/07/08 Bike Theory passed: 28/03/09
Bike Test passed: 15/04/09
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bike_craze1
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 23 Sep 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 23:16 - 15 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some new tires mate.
____________________
Yamaha R125 - Cagiva Mito 125 - Honda CBR 600
CBT passed: 22/07/08 Bike Theory passed: 28/03/09
Bike Test passed: 15/04/09
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

S-A-M
L Plate Warrior



Joined: 15 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:31 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only had it a week, What I mean is the tires are smooth in camparison to my mates geared bikes they seem to have much rougher tires.

I wiegh 12 stone but seeing as it's so new maybe theres a break in period if it's derestricted which I doubt seeing as it was new I guess they would of made it legal for me.

Only 150 on the clock, so I guess I couldn't, from what I've read, derestrict it until it's broken in a bit.

Am I making sense?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

colin1
Captain Safety



Joined: 17 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:17 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

try going slow enough to stay on it, and putting your foot down to stop it falling over if it starts to go
____________________
colin1 is officially faster than god
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

frez
Nova Slayer



Joined: 02 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:55 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is a public road then phone the council and complain and explain you have had one accident on it already, they will come and clean it and serve a notice on anyone responsible. If it is a private road you are on more difficult ground as they may be able to simply deny you access.

A lot of the original tyres on bikes are crap. Built to a budget and/or climates warmer than ours, so it maybe worth replacing them.

As for de-restricting it, you will most likely get away with it, unless you are caught speeding, in which case they will do you for the bike being de-restricted and no valid insurance as your insurance wont cover a derestricted bike.

Personally, I would de-restrict it as I think that doing 30 on national speed limit roads on a moped is dangerous, but that is not necessarily a policemans view.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Jordan Mc3
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 28 Jul 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Live in the country bit of colchester and i have to go down backlanes covered in mud & god knows what else then go down the A120 to get to work so i have kinda similar problems

im 6ft3 and weigh 12.2 stone and i have a piaggio nrg mc3 derestricted, sports exhaust rollers & belt and ofcourse always kept maintained does about 55 on the a120 so easily keeps with the flow & as for the back roads mate its just one of those things small tyres + muddy roads is always going to end up tricky no matter what tyres you have either just go another route or be confident stay out of the edges and command the road go at your pace

keep safe

Karma
____________________
Current Ride - Piaggio Nrg Mc3 Jordan Edition (For Sale)
Next Ride - Derbi 125 GPR Racing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 292 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.10 Sec - Server Load: 0.7 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 88.19 Kb