Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Policy renewal annoyances, those hidden charges.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 09:57 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Policy renewal annoyances, those hidden charges. Reply with quote

I was getting ready to return a 'questionnaire' to the Adrian Flux and I noticed that the renewal doesn't include commuting to and from work. Not a major thing but as its my only mode of transport, quite important really.

Took a while for the young lady on the other end to find if the quote would change, and low and behold, it did.

Multi bike policy for the 7R and Monkeybike stands at £159 a year. To add commuting to the social, domestic and pleasure a further £8 a year was needed, but, with administrative charges £43 extra!

Thats a quarter of the amount due to add a few words to the certificate and the same amount paid for GB and European breakdown cover.

How the hell can they stipulate this and get away with these extortionate charges.

For an additional £10 on the policy I could have had a few grands worth of helmet and leather cover, for £20 I could have had personal injury cover. If I want wording changed its 30 odd quid!

Grrrr.

Don't get me wrong, I've been there and done that with paying huge amounts of money on insurance for cars in the past. I expect it as its part of the tertiary of owing something expensive or fast but to be bum raped on the extras is just not cricket.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hetzer
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Feb 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:33 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because insurance companies are criminal entities who practice fraud and extortion on a massive scale with complete impunity.
____________________
"There's the horizon! Ride hard, ride fast and cut down all who stand in your way!"
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

EuropeanNC30R...
Gay Hairdresser



Joined: 20 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:19 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can they administrative charges for a quote? Confused

Alternatively if it's a policy you have already taken out, then you don't pay the admin charges for their mistake.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:38 - 01 Sep 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a renewal, then cancel taht and restart a new policy... Can even do this with the same co and cause them more work and no fee's
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Whosthedaddy
Super Spammer



Joined: 11 Dec 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:31 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

It gets worse!

Sold the 7 and the Monkey SORN for if I ever return to Blighty so no need for insurance.

Rang to cancel and due to an increase of 14% interest on the credit taken out, the fee due to stop the payments (on a £200 a year quote) is...













...£63.

The reasson why it was so much was due to me increasing the amount when I had the commuting added to the existing policy as it should have been there from the start. I pay to amend the policy and then pay even more to cancel the policy?

I expressed my displeasure only to be fobbed off with some non whimsical answer.

I know that its a necessary evil but come on.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

iooi
Super Spammer



Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:46 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get this practise stopped it needs people to complain to the OFT who, should take this practise up as their next case.

Take a look at Bennets T/C and its actually written in there that they can charge £30 for renewing your policy....... Twisted Evil
____________________
Just because my bike was A DIVVY, does not mean i am......
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Feasty
World Chat Champion



Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 16 Dec 2008    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Ebike and it costs me nothing to log online and change my details as I so wish. If the changes lead to an increase in the overall insurance cost then that's all I pay.

Thanks to threads like this I now keep a careful eye on the small print with any insurance I take out, and any that charge ridiculous admin fees I simply don't go with... Thumbs Up
____________________
Previous: Aprilia Habana Retro 50cc (beauty), Yamaha SR125 (fell apart), Honda XR125 (nippy little commuter), Honda SLR650 (Geewhizz), Yamaha Diversion 900S (Smoooooth) written off courtesy of a stupid escaped horse.
(7 year gap), BMW F650 (Relaxing ride). Aprilia Caponord ETV1000 (Big and bold). Yamaha FZS600 (got me in trouble too quick!).
Current: Yamaha TDM 900 (Comfy, light but big, power when needed).
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.07 Sec - Server Load: 1.04 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 52.92 Kb