|
|
| Author |
Message |
| Cigaro |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cigaro World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 10:25 - 17 Dec 2008 Post subject: Does anyone happen to be an expert on VW electric windows? |
 |
|
Hi all,
I've bought a 1999 1.4 3dr Polo from a small independant dealer. When I went to have a look at the car one of the first things I noticed was that the passenger side electric window didn't work; the guy said he'd fix this.
So when I picked it up, it worked. The next day, it didn't.
The guy said he'd replaced the motor the first time. I took it in this Monday and he replaced it again (so he says). Yesterday, I use the window once, and it stops working again.
I think the problem may have started after I pressed the switch to go 'up' when it was already up. I only did it for a split second though, so I don't see how the motor can be blown again (after all, it doesn't cause any problems if i do the same on the driver's side one).
I don't want to take it back to him as he will probably just tell me it's something I'm doing, so I'm going to sort it out myself this time.
Basically, when I press the button, the window doesn't move. However the engine does lug down and the lights dim slightly, suggesting that power is being used somewhere.
I have a suspicion that it may be a thermal fuse or something (don't leccy windows have an automatic cutoff that stop you burning out the motor? Maybe this isn't resetting?)
Does anyone have any idea where to start, or have a diagram for the windows on these?
Cheers |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Keir |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Keir World Chat Champion
Joined: 11 Apr 2006 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 12:22 - 17 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
i dont know about polos but on the mk4 golf its common for the plastic clip that holds the window onto the wire to snap and leave the window useless. this did tend to mean the glass dropped down into the door rather than stay up though. ____________________ Current : '08 Yamaha FZ1s
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Method |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Method World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Nov 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 13:01 - 17 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
Window motor regulator.
Get a new one ordered up, and get it fitted.
Used to go lots - cant remember if its a warranty thing or not, probably not due to the age of yours.
However - thats what itll be.
Bit fiddly to fit, but not impossible. Dont hundreds, litterally. ____________________ CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Cigaro |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Cigaro World Chat Champion
Joined: 28 Mar 2007 Karma :  
|
 Posted: 13:36 - 17 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
| Method wrote: | Window motor regulator.
Get a new one ordered up, and get it fitted.
Used to go lots - cant remember if its a warranty thing or not, probably not due to the age of yours.
However - thats what itll be.
 Bit fiddly to fit, but not impossible. Dont hundreds, litterally. |
Cheers.
Seems strange how it would work fine for a bit then just stop though, does something just 'jam up' inside them?
Is there any way to fix the regulator rather than buy a new one?
 |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
| Method |
This post is not being displayed .
|
 Method World Chat Champion

Joined: 02 Nov 2004 Karma :   
|
 Posted: 17:34 - 17 Dec 2008 Post subject: |
 |
|
They partially sieze then give up entirely.
Cant remember to be honest, was a little while ago!
Give a VW dealer a call, they will be able to fill the gaps in. ____________________ CBT Aug '03 ... Gilera GSM 50 ... Honda NSR 125 Aug '04 ...
Full Test Dec 04... Suzuki GS500 Jan 05... Suzuki SV650 Mar 07... Gixxer 6 K5 May 08... Oh and my 'Rado
My Bikepics.com - No Brakes, No Gears... No Fear. |
|
| Back to top |
|
You must be logged in to rate posts |
|
 |
Old Thread Alert!
The last post was made 17 years, 296 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful? |
 |
|
|