Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


toes or feet?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

izzi81
Could Be A Chat Bot



Joined: 24 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:53 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: toes or feet? Reply with quote

Since getting my zx6r I've been wondering about this. On my old NSR125 I could get the balls of both feet comfortably on the ground. But on the zx6r it's tiptoes only!

How about everyone else? How much foot *should* you be able to get on the ground, or is there no such 'rule'?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:58 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no rule, if you can handle the bike fine on tip toes then thats ok.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:00 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice to get your feet flat with a bit of knee bend, but plenty people manage with tiptoes. Just have to remember not to park facing down any slopes. Neutral

I tend to do left foot flat and right dangling in the air. Only time I need both down is when backing up and I do that as little as possible cos it takes so bloody long to do it on tiptoes. Rolling Eyes
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

RSixer03
Renault 5 Driver



Joined: 18 Apr 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:02 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes
So when talking about Knee down, is that for people who have problems getting their feet on the ground? Neutral
____________________
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
Mario Andretti.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:07 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your knees are further down your legs than your feet I'd suggest seeking immediate medical attention.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MikeyC
World Chat Champion



Joined: 17 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:43 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it not just depend on how tall you are?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:53 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Balls for me. Wink

I remember being told (ok I admit it was a few years ago now) by an instructor that you should be able to get both feet flat to the floor. Which is funny as when I swapped training schools the instructor I had was smaller than me and he was riding a bloody great BMW K100. He said to me that the safety position is one foot on the floor and the other on the back brake. If it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

I'm not sure if there is any legal requirement really, but if both feet were required to be flat on the floor my choice in bikes would be very limited.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Annabella
Like a person, only smaller



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dianesefreak wrote:
I remember being told (ok I admit it was a few years ago now) by an instructor that you should be able to get both feet flat to the floor. Which is funny as when I swapped training schools the instructor I had was smaller than me and he was riding a bloody great BMW K100. He said to me that the safety position is one foot on the floor and the other on the back brake.



Laughing

On most 600s if I get toes on the floor with my left foot my right foot is too high to reach the brake!

I can only get toes down, and as Bendy says - backing up is a nightmare, as is parking on slopes. I find that I'm always checking out junctions to make sure I haven't got to stop in a ditch or on a slope - if that's the case I normally try either not to stop or to stop further back. Very Happy
____________________
Avast! Pirates ahoy!
I did Cadwell! Very Happy
www.bikepics.com/members/bella
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Stew
If it's good enough for top race teams...



Joined: 03 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:43 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, all you shorties. Razz
I have an advantage of being reasonably tall and also having a low seat on my YZF. Feet are firmly flat on the floor and thats with knee bend too.
____________________
"Unlike public school you don't need to have your arse up and your head down to go a long way...."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:47 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but you can't play my angle...

"Keee-eeev, I'm parked down a hill will you go and shift it for me" Very Happy

"Sorry G, I'm too feeble to push my own bike onto the trailer, will you come round and help" Very Happy
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because you are a giant stu.
____________________
Good girls ride motorcycles bad girls thrash them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BLacKPooLLaD
Nova Slayer



Joined: 04 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:10 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am abit of a short arse myself, but can get my foot flat on the ground, with both feet down they don't go flat 2 the floor just my heal cant touch the floor but is abit of a arse going backwards the RS isn't that big anyway am only 5'7 Sad.

Luke
____________________
UKRSCLUB.com

AF1Racing.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:16 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLacKPooLLaD wrote:
am only 5'7 Sad.


Orr poor you. Razz Still bigger than me.

I'm comfortable just getting the balls of my feet on the floor on the CBR and thats fine for me, though if I straighten my legs right out I can just about get both feet flat on the floor.
____________________
The BCF's very own Party boy! Though he's getting old and feeling it!
Monkey hanger, Born and bred
My little photo portfolio
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

BLacKPooLLaD
Nova Slayer



Joined: 04 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:19 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY, some1 bigger than me Thumbs Up Razz. Am about 5'6 / 5'7 more 2wards 5'7 though.

Luke
____________________
UKRSCLUB.com

AF1Racing.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:26 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLacKPooLLaD wrote:
YAY, some1 bigger than me


You mean smaller Wink, You'll find a few of us are - Annabell, Bendy, Marjay, Me are all small in stature.
____________________
The BCF's very own Party boy! Though he's getting old and feeling it!
Monkey hanger, Born and bred
My little photo portfolio
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:31 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hex wrote:
Annabell, Bendy, Marjay, Me are all small in stature.


Actually, average height for women in the UK is five foot four, so I'm above average. Razz

Can't argue with the other names listed though...
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Laura
Playboy Bunny



Joined: 28 Jul 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh im above average as well! I can get the balls of feet on the floor on the cbr.
____________________
Good girls ride motorcycles bad girls thrash them.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

BLacKPooLLaD
Nova Slayer



Joined: 04 Dec 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:41 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh..i mean smaller ye Embarassed.

Luke
____________________
UKRSCLUB.com

AF1Racing.com
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:52 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can get my feet flat when I'm wearing my textiles. I really need to get some stretchier leathers Confused
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 6'2" and have been able to get both feet flat on the floor with knees bent on every bike I've sat on - I'm a lanky focker. Very Happy
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fastpaceinstr...
Derestricted Danger



Joined: 03 May 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:31 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should be stopping with your left foot on the floor whether it be whole foot or just tip toes, with the right foot up on the rear brake. If you slip over you slip towards the kerb side and not into any traffic! when you are stationary try this position for safety....and YES it is safer not only for the reason just mentioned but also if you get rear ended you will get pushed along with control of the steering. With both feet down you will more than likely have the front brake on and have no control over the steering.

Get someone to stand in front of your bike while you are on it. ask them to hold the handle bars and wobble/push back and forth. See the difference between having the front brake on with both feet down and just having the rear brake on with your left foot down. Very Happy Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:37 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am around 5'8" (ie, I can just about make myself that height if I need to). Not really had a problem with any normal bikes at my height (with the exception of a Cagiva Elephant, but then I almost needed clearance from air traffic control to try and get on that).

Think 5'8" is the average height for a male. Trouble is that includes all the old ones who have started to shrink Rolling Eyes .

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr C
World Chat Champion



Joined: 24 Feb 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:41 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

fastpaceinstructor wrote:
You should be stopping with your left foot on the floor whether it be whole foot or just tip toes, with the right foot up on the rear brake. If you slip over you slip towards the kerb side and not into any traffic! when you are stationary try this position for safety....and YES it is safer not only for the reason just mentioned but also if you get rear ended you will get pushed along with control of the steering. down. Very Happy Thumbs Up



yes, all good stuff but if you are on the ball you should never get rear ended

stop with an escape route planned
keep the bike in gear and one eye permanently on mirror until at least two vehicles have clearly stopped behind you
if it looks like a following vehicle has not seen you or you can hear screeching brakes - bale out down your escape route

of course there's always the silly twat at roundabouts but at least this technique minimises one risk area Wink
____________________
187.3bhp = 201mph
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:14 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr C wrote:

keep the bike in gear

Mr C,
yeah thats agreat idea that is, so if you /do/ get rear ended your bike will zoom off on its merry way and make you liable for the damage to the car you hit! Smile
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

True Blue
World Chat Champion



Joined: 10 Feb 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:15 - 05 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm about 5'10 on a good day and I'm on my tiptoes on my GSXR6 though I can get my left foot flat with my right on the rear brake Thumbs Up
____________________
Past >>>> Honda NSR 125 >>>> Suzuki GSXR 600 K1 >>>> Suzuki GSXR 600 K4 >>>>Kawasaki Z1000 DAF >>>>Suzuki RMZ 250 >>>> Current >>>> KTM Superduke R 1290 >>>>
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.12 Sec - Server Load: 0.5 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 128.67 Kb