Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Any Engineers?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

Wozza
Brolly Dolly



Joined: 17 May 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:16 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Any Engineers? Reply with quote

What area of engineering do you work in, and how did you get there?
I'm particularly interested in hearing from those without degrees.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:45 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im primarily and electrical/instrumental engineer working within the Nuclear industry.

My job is basically covering several areas and one specialist area. My specialist area is looking after the instruments that monitor the aerial discharge system for the whole of a fuel reprocessing plant. That involves a lot of repairs, sourcing spares, design, compliance with the EA and the NII etc.

I started as an E&I apprentice at a paper mill, done roughly 4 years training where 3 years were hands on. Moved to the nuclear place and I was on the tools for about 5 years, basically showing an interest such as reading manuals, ammending documents, correcting drawings, becoming an expert on the different instruments and anything else I could do to stand out. I ended up being team leader for the team I started with and got some supervisory qualifications. After that it was a case of passing the internal interviews and carrying on what I had started doing, learning and showing interest. Coming up with ideas and problem solbing also helped. I am now at the companys Engineer level but without a degree. Its worth about 40K at the moment but there is still room to expand and with being an engineer that has learnt through hands on there are times when you have a distinct advantage over the bookworm engineers (although not when it comes to job applications unfortunately and doing ridiculous mathst without real world application).

It can be done but only with a bit of graft, there are lads who had been in the team that I first joined for a good few years before me but I leap frogged because they made no effort whatsoever to better themselves.

I do have a small admiration for the paper engineers however as theres no way I could have done it personally Thumbs Up
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 13:09 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm an electrical design engineer - apprentice < Wouldnt be fooled by that title though.

Im in fourth year of training, and I originally applied to an engineering training centre, called HETA.

I did a year learning a mix of skills, but got accepted by my company early on in the year and so my training was electrically biased...but I can also weld/machine/fit etc

Started this at 16, as soon as I left School, but didnt really know what I properly wanted to do tbh. Was on £115 a week at first.

In my first year I got an NVQ2 qualification, and carried on doing part time education with HETA in my second year, and completed an ONC (Ordinary National Certificate) - All pretty easy tbh, if you're remotely intelligent its a doddle. Second year I was on around £160 a week.

I've moved around my company following a loose training plan where you experience different parts of the company and what it does. My company builds airports and baggage handling systems.

Third year I was on around £210 a week i think. (This is take home, after tax btw)

I now design the baggage handling systems, but I can build the electrical panels that control the systems, learned and am furthering my knowledge of PLC and Networking systems, I worked in the factory building conveyors, worked in the Development department for 6 months, which ended in me being sent off to Quebec, Canada for a month and a half.

So, if you go to Quebec Airport, I designed the electrical system for it Thumbs Up

Its pretty good tbh. Now Im on salary, and I take home £1200 a month(about 17K pa), and I've just turned 20, so its worked out well. Though I'm definitely not the best payed apprentice around, tbh, Im fairly low paid compared to some I know.

Alongside actual work and university, I've completed an NVQ level 3, and am now in the middle of an NVQ4 (Managing etc).

As long as picking up various training along the way (etc 17th Edition Electrical regs course, trained HnS, Slinging and Lifting, PAT Testing etc theres loads more...I should really update my CV just incase something goes awry Laughing )

Im on the second year of a part time degree course aswell, all sponsored by my company, so I pay nothing towards my tuition.

Apprenticeships are the way to go, in my opinion. Even though its more stressful, I've experienced a lot more "real life" than the average "cant be arsed" full time students my age, and when Im fully qualified (around a year or so after they are) I will already have 7 years or so actual experience in industry behind me, and will probably become a Chartered Engineer by the time I'm 24/25. Thats the plan anyway.

Wow, rambled a bit. Hope this gave a bit of insight.
____________________
"Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rc211v
Nitrous Nuisance



Joined: 08 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:05 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Computer Engineer here.

Well... i took it up as a course in university, and here I am now teaching it in the same university I went to.
____________________
VFR400 (NC30)
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a Project/solutions/broadcast engineer for a company that makes broadcast systems and equipment.

I started as a trainee and worked my way up. I don't have a very lofty job title, but I get paid OK and I have a fair amount of responsibility.

I have to travel a bit, go on site and install our automation systems and its sometimes fun. Not sure what else to say really!
____________________
British beauty: Triumph Street Triple R; Loony stroker: KR1S; Track fun: GSXR750 L1; Commuter Missile: GSX-S1000F; Cheap project: CBR900RR FireBlade
Remember kids, bikes aren't like lego. You can't easily take a part from one bike and then fit it to another.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GeorgeCBR
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 07 Apr 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:28 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive just started out on my apprenticeship, im a mechanical engineer, for a place called wichita, we make clutches for marine and mining equipment. I started out at a training centre local to me, doing NVQ lvl 2 in carpentry, did it for about 8 months, looked for jobs all over the place, couldn't find a thing, then this training centre offered me a place at this engineering firm. So i did all the interviews etc, and got the job, i spent 6 months solid at the training centre doing my NVQ lvl 2 in mechanical engineering, and now im doing 1 day at college and 4 days at work, studying level 3.

Tbh the honeymoon period has passed, and i don't enjoy the job as much as when i started, mainly because of my managers, however i'm getting paid and educated, and i have a 5 year contract Very Happy
____________________
|| Ride - Kawasaki Z1000 & Honda Bali 50 || Theory - Passed || Practical - Passed ||

Previous || Suzuki Bandit 600N - Honda CBR 125 - Gilera Runner 50
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Nufkamp
Traffic Copper



Joined: 15 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:25 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a project engineer in the diesel fuel injection industry. Did 4 year apprenticeship then spent 12 years working on the production lines, mainly on multi-spindle and rotary transfer machines with some CNC grinding and electro-chemical machining processes thrown in for good measure. Was promoted in 1995 to my current position which involves responsibility for the first 3 stages of the manufacturing process (turning and 2 different deep-hole drilling operations.)

Hmm, starting to look a bit like a CV..........
____________________
As seen on Google Street View https://tinyurl.com/yfdvojc
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

V2
Nearly there...



Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:06 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nufkamp wrote:
deep-hole drilling
Laughing

Im a software/elec engineer, did a 5 year apprenticeship and trained to HND in electrical and electronic engineering.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:26 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Electronic (RF) Engineering.

Currently work for https://www.l-3com.com/trl as an RF Design Engineer.

Are you contemplating whether to do a degree or not? If so, do a degree.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

nasty
Traffic Copper



Joined: 14 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:13 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Network Engineer (I.T.)

Don't have a degree, don't really need one unless I wanted to move into a non-technical mangerial role or the likes.

I did a PC support course and gained the qualification, got an entry level job to gain experience and then just kept going from there learning all the time, I'm still not at the point in my career I would like to be but I'm well on the way.

I work only on Cisco networks at the moment, providing support etc. In the past I've worked on PC's, Servers and Networks for some big clients in the Defence and Central Government sectors as well as Private sector firms.

Currently work for the IT Service division of a well known telephone company Thinking
____________________
ZX6R F3
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

2Hondas
Nova Slayer



Joined: 10 Nov 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:52 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broadcast Automation Engineer.
Sounds a bit dull but involves a lot of travelling. in 2008 i went to:
India, Australia, Israel, Sweden, Ukraine, Slovakia, Spain, Egypt and a few more that I can't remember.

It requires a lot of specialist knowledge, and a knowledge of a lot of difference devices.

I got a Computer Science degree and after putting my CV online looking for a networking job, I was called by a recruitment consultant asking if I wanted to try something a little different.

I did, so went for a couple of interviews and got the job.
Been there over 2 years now and have learned a hell of a lot.

Mine and Marjay's companies are probably rivals to each other, it's a pretty small niche industry.
____________________
Current - 2010 Kawasaki ER-6n - Green
Previous - 2000 Honda CB600F Hornet - Yellow
Previous - 2007 Yamaha YBR125 -Blue
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TomR6
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:00 - 07 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Civil/Traffic Engineer, got recruited on a trainee program from Local Government. Getting put through my degree and whatever other training I want, all paid for by them.(Left school with 6 Gsce's).

Work on designing new road schemes, really enjoying it. Pay is on a very good scale and there's loads of benefits.
____________________
2005 Yamaha R6
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:17 - 07 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanical Manufacturing Engineer here Cool

Straight after i left school (well a couple of months later) i started a mechanical engineering apprenticeship at a training center called 'KITS'. They got me to several companies for interviews and got offered 2. Turned 1 of them day (however they paid more at the time) and went with the company i work for now, Halco Drilling International (now owned by ww.terex.com)

Got my NVQ 2 & 3 and would of gone onto do advancded part programming this year at college (1 day a week) but due to my accident in june i couldn't.

Finished all my college now, just got another 6 months to go (when i finally get back to work) and complete my NVQ portfolio and then i will be fully qualified.

I started actually working at my firm on 20th may 2006 and they move you around all the different areas in the factory such as manual turning, manual radial drill and horizontal borer, CNC lathes, CNC milling, manual and CNC grinding, paint booth, stores, inspection, design office and you spend 2 weeks working with the lean manufacturing dude. I was working full time on a pair of CNC lathes and a CNC broaching machine and i thoroughly enjoy it.

At one point i was considering giving it up, going to college to get some a levels and going to uni but i am glad i didn't now.

Not entirely sure what the future holds for me but it is a fairly secure industry/job as we are involved in the miming and quarrying industry.

The pay was pretty poor to start with, it went like this -

While at training centre (although employed my current employer) - £90 a week (untaxable)
After starting at the firm - £136 a week
After my birthda - £185 a week
After 2nd birthday - £220 a week

I then went on to get shift pay and bonus's (which are included in my standard pay packet regardless) and i am now on £390 a week (just over £20k). Not bad for a 19 year old i don't think Razz
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

DXB
Scooby Slapper



Joined: 11 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:39 - 07 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mech Eng,been doing Gas Turbines for the last 15 years got all my quals from the RAF.

Cash wise its all dependant on what part of the world i am in but averages between 300 to a 1000 quid a day
____________________
superchargers good
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:25 - 07 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattHirst wrote:


I then went on to get shift pay and bonus's (which are included in my standard pay packet regardless) and i am now on £390 a week (just over £20k). Not bad for a 19 year old i don't think Razz



See? Im low paid!

Cvnt Laughing
____________________
"Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 04:28 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fawbish wrote:
MattHirst wrote:


I then went on to get shift pay and bonus's (which are included in my standard pay packet regardless) and i am now on £390 a week (just over £20k). Not bad for a 19 year old i don't think Razz



See? Im low paid!

Cvnt Laughing


And when i go back to work (on the sick at the mo) i will get cell uplift (which is for running 2 or more machines) which is 7 times your hourly rate Very Happy

That works out at basically £53 a week extra Laughing

I was fairly lucky though, i was going to accept the other job, but it was a bit further away and it was more to do with assembling lathes rather than actually setting and operating. So i went for the job i have now as the experience i gain there will be better for me in the future. The job i turned down did pay more initially so that is why i was tempted by it, but now i am on a fair wedge more than anyone else in the same year apprenticeship as me that i trained with Smile

Edit - Just to make you feel depressed even more, i have been getting £390 since about febuary-ish when i was 18 (well thats a lie, it used to be £375 but we got a small payrise in november). I had my 19th birthday in intensive care Crying or Very sad
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fawbish
World Chat Champion



Joined: 27 Jan 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:05 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

*tries to think of something to combat that*




...



...




My company sent me to Canada for a month and a half, on extra pay, all expenses paid. Wink I believe that is the definition of Pyrrhic victory Laughing
____________________
"Oh....it looks like Average Joe's is forfeiting the match!" - "Yeah, its a risky strategy but lets see if it pays off for 'em Cotton."
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:27 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the company i work for (www.terex.com) make big diggers and stuff Laughing

No seriously, once i am qualified and all that malarky, i have the oppurtunity to work in america if i wish (not just me, anybody at my factory has the chance). Not sure if i could now though being a cripple and all (don't know if i'd pass the medical to get a visa)

I'll try and blag my way to go to some of the exhibitions that my work send some folk to Very Happy

I also get to go to Mach for free, as i did in 2008 Very Happy Twisted Evil
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

blahheed
Trackday Trickster



Joined: 10 Aug 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:03 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

any jobs going?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Cigaro
World Chat Champion



Joined: 28 Mar 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:09 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a software engineer (aka paid computer geek). Got the job at 16, and now (nearly 5 years later) I'm still here. I do also build and repair computers and networks. Plan to try for a degree soon though.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

carvell
Scuttler



Joined: 05 Sep 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:21 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikemad wrote:
any jobs going?

As you mention it, if anyone happens to be an RF engineer or software engineer (both GUI and embedded) looking for a job in the Cheltenham area then PM me a CV.
____________________
Yamaha TDM 850
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MattHirst
World Chat Champion



Joined: 25 Jun 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:38 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Place i work at is always looking for new people, not sure about now as i haven't been to work for 6 1/2 months Shocked

But last time i worked we were 11 machine setters/operators short, this time last year we were 16 people short.

If your close to halifax, have and a HNC (they prefer HNC qualified people for some reason Confused ) then look in the Halifax Courier, they is always an advert in there advertising Razz
____________________
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt, then it's bloody hilarious!!!
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

firefox
World Chat Champion



Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:37 - 10 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

secuirty/install engineer, saw an ad in the paper and applied, for adt, they put me through college for the 2330 and 17th edition. started on around 250 a week when i left school, been there for 3 years now, have a company car and a easy job. Thumbs Up
____________________
bye bye gti <^>( ' . ' )<^>
*officer* what caused the crash ? *firefox* you see that wall up there sir ?
*officer* yes what about it *firefox* i tooted my horn but it refused to move i had to teach it a lesson.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

J.K.R
World Chat Champion



Joined: 06 Feb 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 02:05 - 11 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right at the bottom of the ladder at the moment, Started a 4 year mechanical engineering apprenticeship with FMC technologies around 7 months ago. At college 5 days a week (3 in a machine shop, 2 doing an NC), In june it will be 4 days at the workplace and day release at college doing a HNC, 3rd year is the same but working towards a HND and 4th year will be full time.

Was out of school for a year working as a bike mechanic and thought this has more prospects, Only place i applied for Smile
____________________
www.oldskoolsuzuki.info
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

instigator
Super Spammer



Joined: 19 Oct 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:29 - 12 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mechanical Design Engineer
Building Services
I got there through 4 years at University and mastering the art of blagging my way through interviews.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 263 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.36 Sec - Server Load: 1.72 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 135.57 Kb