Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Any guitarist?? need some help :(

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:57 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Any guitarist?? need some help :( Reply with quote

Right basically im stuck in a rut Sad

I bought an accoustic and really have been playing that for about 3 months non stop.

Decided to get some new strings for my electric put them on the other day .

BUT now i cant find a song to learn! every song i look at is either to easy or way to hard , im struggling trying to find a decent song that i can learn ! >.< What do i do?

I dont really wanna go back to my accoustic as i wanna get back into my electric

Anyone got any ideas or some cool little riffs for me to get motivated again.

Cheers
____________________
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Howling TerrorOutOfOffice
Super Spammer



Joined: 05 Dec 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:05 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever i get in a rut i learn a new chord and incorporate it into my playing.
As much as you enjoy playing your electric remember the wooden box now and again, it's great for building strength into your fingers which helps for those 2hr electric jams.


Pat
____________________
Diabolical homemade music Bandcamp and Soundcloud
Singer songwriter, Artist and allround good bloke Listen to Andrew Susan Johnston here
The Harry Turner Project
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:15 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i got my accoustic it carved right into my fingers expecially the bottom 2 strings it was so much harder to play than my electric.

I only started learning chords a few week ago as i always read tab.

When i play chords on my electric though it sounds awefull i think it might be cos my amp is a really cheap crappy small one??

But im not sure
____________________
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:22 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do it on an acoustic, you can damn sure do it on an electric and the chords are a lot easier to hold and generally the action on an electric is easier on the fingers.

An old favourite is to start with power chords, in TAB they look something like this:

7 6 3
7 6 3
5 4 1

You do know how to read tab don't you?? If not just google it, the basics take literally minutes to learn, its only when your looking at particular techniques like trills, tapping, hammer-ons, pull-offs etc that you might need to take time to get used to seeing the symbols.

So, get used to moving up and down the fretboard using power chords, throw in some distortion and in 4 hand movements of that power chord shape you can play Nirvana's "Smells like teen spirit".

I'd then say go onto playing up and down scales, easy ones like major and minor pentatonic to get your fingers used to moving about individually. Look up John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline" videos on youtube as there are some really good warm up techniques in the first few videos that will get you all over the fretboard whilst getting some string skipping in the mix as well.

As far as searching for more simple songs goes, anything by Nirvana will do, some oasis songs are simple chord changes, a lot of Metallica songs are not too difficult technically but you might be more comfortable playing them when your a bit more used to switching between positions swiftly - Master of Puppets is a very nice one to learn. Im also told that any classic rock bands are fairly basic, but its not really my thing to play so I wouldn't know personally.

It's pretty much down to what genre you are into really, even if a song looks hard, break it down into segments and get used to playing them individually, then work on the transitions.

HTH

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.


Last edited by GhostRider on 21:47 - 06 Jan 2009; edited 1 time in total
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:36 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isnt it more

5 3 3
7 5 5
3 1 1

etc. for power chords? Try looking at ultimate-guitar.net and just search for whatever takes your fancy, you will find something eventually. For me personally Ive all but given up, it seems to bore me loads these days and I dont have the patience with it. I think the downturn started when I bought a cheap marshall amp.
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:39 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

What my main problem is , is finding a song that i can play all the way through.

Like i can play the intro to sweet child o mine .. and abit of the chorus but not any of the rest , stuf like that i can play some parts of songs but not others .

I can play quite alot of stuff but i think i can only probably play about 10 songs all the way through.

I need to practice hammer ons and pull offs . I start to practice but after a while i just get pissed off so i come to it the next day and just play what i already know.

Its the pull offs that are doing my ass in!
____________________
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:52 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Villers wrote:
Isnt it more

5 3 3
7 5 5
3 1 1

etc. for power chords? Try looking at ultimate-guitar.net and just search for whatever takes your fancy, you will find something eventually. For me personally Ive all but given up, it seems to bore me loads these days and I dont have the patience with it. I think the downturn started when I bought a cheap marshall amp.


Nah, but mine was wrong in a different way the first time I wrote it, edited to correct way now Embarassed (Im not used to writing out tabs). You have to imagine each line is a guitar string, with the bottom one being the 6th low E string. Doing it your way would need some versatile fingers and would probably sound horrible lol.

Pull-offs are really about sustaining the sound once you've pulled off, which will depend on your fretting and how hard you strike the string. Just practice consecutive hammer-on/pull-offs and you'll get it.

Im the same with a lot of songs in that I might not know them 100%, some things just elude me, but i'll usually go off and learn something else, then come back to it another time and it will just click. Patience and practice doth a good guitarist maketh.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Rowey
World Chat Champion



Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:15 - 06 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender Players Club

Sort them by skill. Job's a good'un.
____________________
ZX6R C6F.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

chillpill
World Chat Champion



Joined: 12 Aug 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:20 - 07 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

learn bar cords then its easy to make your own stuff up Thumbs Up
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 20:41 - 07 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't play guitar, nor do I play electric, so I may not be much help at all. Sorry.

Feeling stuck in a rut is part and parcel of playing an instrument at any level other than perfect. I go there often, it sucks, but something normally occurs to sort it out again. If it's pissing you off, put it down take a break, a few weeks or a few minutes, whatever is needed. If it's not fun whats the point.

I can't say i've found a shortage of songs yet, and I have about 100 regulars to choose from, I only play what I like/want to be able to play.

Play the hard ones, no matter how badly, you will learn, the skill will come. If it was easy enough to glance at a song and play it all the way through, any monkey could do it.

Can't read music or tab (well I can in theory, but not quick enough to be of any use) and no real interest in developing that particular skill. I play rhythm and sing mainly, not bothered so much about the melody side of things.

Reading tab is following a set of instructions, doesnt appeal to me, if you learn some chords you can learn songs much more simply, and mix it up a bit with your own ideas to keep it interesting.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Flip
Super Spammer



Joined: 28 Feb 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:29 - 07 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Reading tab is following a set of instructions


That's the point mate. Smile Reading proper music is the same. (Granted that reading music takes a lot more skill. Think I'll try and learn music whilst I'm unemployed).

Learn it first and then f*ck with it. Thumbs Up

What style of music are you in to Dransy?
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:51 - 07 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That's the point mate. Reading proper music is the same. (Granted that reading music takes a lot more skill. Think I'll try and learn music whilst I'm unemployed).


Don't me wrong, i'd love to be able to read music, but I always struggled with it, even in the old days of having formal lessons, like languages I just dont think i've got that ability.

Tab is like 'sheet music for dummies' but I just can't train myself to read it fast enough. If you practice a tab for one song long enough, you will just learn unintentionally learn the song, and the tab becomes irrelevant. Besides, its surprising what you can achieve with the right hand, rather than the left to make the songs sound complex/interesting.

I just do chords and fiddle about with them, guesswork mainly, one day I will learn where the individual notes are on the fretboard and which ones makes up which chord, but in 2 years ive not found it at all necessary to play what I want to play.
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:04 - 07 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
I don't play guitar, nor do I play electric, so I may not be much help at all.


Surely stating that you dont play guitar automatically infers that you dont play an electric one...... or an acoustic one....or a margarine tub with elastic bands wrapped round....

If you dont play guitar, why would you even attempt to learn tab?

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Villers
World Chat Champion



Joined: 13 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 00:55 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:

Nah, but mine was wrong in a different way the first time I wrote it, edited to correct way now Embarassed (Im not used to writing out tabs).


Ha Ha Im sorry mate I just didnt read it right, that coupled with the fact theres only three numbers meant my brain read across and not down.

On the net if its a written out tab and the power chord is part of it then thats how it would be i.e

xx--xx
xx--xx
33--55
33--55
55--77
xx--xx

I was thinking more of a chord sheet where they are given at the top as

C x533xx

Then they put C's and stuff over the letters, sorry about that! Laughing
____________________
RS125 > CBR6 > SV650S > ZX636R > GSX1300RZ Hayabusa > 06 RSVR Mille > SV1000S > Street Triple 765 RS
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

dransy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 May 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 18:32 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What style of music are you in to Dransy?


Im into owt really i play alsorts from

If i like the guitar ill try learn it

metallica to feeder to david grey
Mates i jam with are alot older so i learnt a few old stuff but im not really into it.
____________________
Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:06 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghostrider wrote:
Surely stating that you dont play guitar automatically infers that you dont play an electric one...... or an acoustic one....or a margarine tub with elastic bands wrapped round....


Because there are no other plucked chordophones that have the possibility to be electrified in the entire world are there?

I did not state that I didn't play electric guitar.

Ghostrider wrote:
If you dont play guitar, why would you even attempt to learn tab?


Tablature is not exclusive to the guitar, can be applied to any fretted stringed instrument, and harmonica believe it or not, which I also had a bash at a few years ago.

Music is music, just because guitar is the status quo, the world does not end at the bridge of a chuffing stratocaster. Wink
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:18 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:


I did not state that I didn't play electric guitar.



Actually, you did Very Happy

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

WildGoose
White Van Man



Joined: 21 Mar 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:27 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't play guitar, nor do I play electric, so I may not be much help at all.


I already stated I didn't play guitar that covers it I think. Second statement points out that I do not play electrified instruments.

Sorry if it wasn't spelled out clearly enough for you.

Now stop being a pedantic arse and get back to your crayons son. Razz
____________________
So in other words, he stopped you for being flagrantly in posession of a motorcycle in direct contravention of the Hippies, Darkies and People Whose Face I Don't Like The Look of (Police Powers) Act. 1976
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:56 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would be good if you could tell us a couple of songs you looked at and whether they were too hard or too easy for you.

I had that problem about a year ago, the thing for me was that I had been stuck at one level for so long that everything I could play I could play really easily and then it was a big jump to step up to better things. You never know you might need to pick a slightly harder song than you're comfy with and work at it for ages.
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

GhostRider
World Chat Champion



Joined: 31 Jan 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:20 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

WildGoose wrote:
Quote:
I don't play guitar, nor do I play electric, so I may not be much help at all.


I already stated I didn't play guitar that covers it I think. Second statement points out that I do not play electrified instruments.

Sorry if it wasn't spelled out clearly enough for you.

Now stop being a pedantic arse and get back to your crayons son. Razz


Calm down dear, its only BCF Wink

Anyhows, I think thats a good suggestion by Moonie as well, paradoxic as it may seem, going for a harder song may be just the thing, and something I did recently.

I was trying my hand at some Trivium solos and just couldnt hit it right, so I went on to something else infinitely harder just because it sounds amazing, and you kinda get that "If I can play that..... I can ask for no more!" (which is never the case anyway - you always find something else thats amazing). This involved rather fast, all over the fretboard complicated fills, and then the solo was made up of intricate sweep-picking to top it off.

It's taken me a few months, and im still nowhere near as tight as I'd like to be, but I piss all over the Trivum solos now, so the moral of the story is sometimes it can do wonders to throw yourself miles out of your comfort zone. Thinking about it I think this is also the general advice for metronome practice i.e if you're struggling at 120bpm, crank it upto 140/150 and attempt that for a few mins, come back down to 120 and you might surprise yourself.

GhostRider
____________________
I have all the characteristics of a human being: blood, flesh, skin, hair; but not a single, clear, identifiable emotion, except for greed and disgust. Something horrible is happening inside of me and I don't know why. My nightly bloodlust has overflown into my days. I feel lethal, on the verge of frenzy. I think my mask of sanity is about to slip.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Moonie
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Feb 2008
Karma :

PostPosted: 22:23 - 08 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

GhostRider wrote:



I was trying my hand at some Trivium solos and just couldnt hit it right, so I went on to something else infinitely harder just because it sounds amazing, and you kinda get that "If I can play that..... I can ask for no more!" (which is never the case anyway - you always find something else thats amazing). This involved rather fast, all over the fretboard complicated fills, and then the solo was made up of intricate sweep-picking to top it off.

It's taken me a few months, and im still nowhere near as tight as I'd like to be, but I piss all over the Trivum solos now, so the moral of the story is sometimes it can do wonders to throw yourself miles out of your comfort zone. Thinking about it I think this is also the general advice for metronome practice i.e if you're struggling at 120bpm, crank it upto 140/150 and attempt that for a few mins, come back down to 120 and you might surprise yourself.

GhostRider


And the moral of the story is.....Trivium are gay Razz
____________________
Don't practice it until you get it right, practice it until you don't get it wrong.
Presenting the one and only Chinkmobile Cool
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 269 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.13 Sec - Server Load: 0.46 - MySQL Queries: 13 - Page Size: 122.02 Kb