Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Haven't done this for a while...

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Which do you think?
Option 1)
25%
 25%  [ 8 ]
Option 2)
75%
 75%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 32

Author Message

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:44 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Haven't done this for a while... Reply with quote

When I sell my vehicles I should have around £5k to play with, the problem is that I'm torn between two ideas, here they are:

1) Use the entire thing for a really nice bike and pay insurance off monthly.

2) Buy a 600 for around £3k, insure it and also buy a car with the remaining money. Then when you receive the compensation buy the expensive bike then, and use the 600 as a track bike or something similar.

Being on the sick I'm leaning more towards the latter where I can probably afford 2 vehicles and insure them for that. The only problem is my favourite bike is within reach Sad.

Thanks for any tips advice in advance.

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Danny
Ask Me About Stoppie School



Joined: 26 Jan 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:47 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make it sound like a 600 for 3k isn't going to be that good. You could get a really nice 600 for under 3k!
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2476746377&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know I sound like a spoilt twat but that's because I am Wink

That bike looks quite nice although Blue is the best colour to have Smile

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Robby
Dirty Old Man



Joined: 16 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:52 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about getting a niceish car and a fun bike - 2 stroke 250 kinda thing. Then you can afford to buy and insure both.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Hex
Party Boy



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 10:59 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy both, £3k will get you a good bike, and £1k will get you a reasonable car and then you still have like a £1k for insurances (or at least towards them).
____________________
The BCF's very own Party boy! Though he's getting old and feeling it!
Monkey hanger, Born and bred
My little photo portfolio
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 11:53 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people who talk say all the same things and yet the poll is running at 2 - 2 Smile

I think I am warming to the idea of the 2nd option now, thanks

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dainesefreak
World Chat Champion



Joined: 04 Apr 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:04 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike, car and decent bike later. IMO.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Zimma
Wheelie Junkie



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:20 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

dainesefreak wrote:
Bike, car and decent bike later. IMO.


I'm with that Smile
____________________
-Zimma
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bendy
Mrs Sensible



Joined: 10 Jun 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 12:45 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

£3k will buy a very decent bike.

Spend much more than that and you turn into one of those 'ooh I won't take it on a trackday in case I crash it' people.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino



Joined: 31 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:34 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wanna buy a FireBlade and a Punto? Very Happy
____________________
Back on a Blade. Just feels so right.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:40 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah sure Dean, £2 seem fair? considdering you've ridden the bike I think that's a fair amount Razz

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Demonic69
The Pink Rhino



Joined: 31 May 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:46 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh Razz
The Blade's in perfect working order I'll ave you know.
Just needs a service to check if owt is actually knackered Very Happy
____________________
Back on a Blade. Just feels so right.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaun
Likes 'em bent



Joined: 17 May 2003
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:49 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bendy wrote:
you turn into one of those 'ooh I won't take it on a trackday in case I crash it' people.


I want evidence of this! Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:50 - 06 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[4:51pm] <Dem69> weeeeeeeeeeee
[4:52pm] <Dem69> Jimboooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Sorry I was reading your post Smile!

I think I would feel more confortable on a sports 6 rather than a 900. I have only clocked 500 miles on the GPZ so I think I'd like to progress to something similar but with a bit more power not ALOT!

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:11 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I would say go for a £3k bike (loads of choice around there) and a cheap car. 2nd hand cars are worth nothing these days so you can get a decent car for not much, and we paid £1400 for this.

If you are getting as much money as you think then that is a hell of a lot to sort out other things. Eg, stick it towards a house (boring answer I know), but that does mean that in 5 years time you will be paying the same mortgage as when you bought the house, while rent will have gone up. More money to spend on toys.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:20 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it looks like I'm doing option 2 now as long as the parents don't try and fuck up the sale.

The only problem with putting money in a house is that the average price of a semi around here is about £250K! It'll be a healthy deposit for one though don't get me wrong!

What is that alfa? it looks pretty tasty! (err for a car I mean Smile)

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:23 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Point being that £50k is a 20% deposit on that, or a lot more on a smaller house. Rent is just money wasted for the rest of your life while a mortgage is paid off leaving you that much extra to spend.

That is a 2L 16V Alfa 155. Done about 67000 when we bought it. We needed a car capable of towing the bike trailer.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:26 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ta very much keith. They do say that one thing your money is pretty much safe in is houses, hence the expression.

/me plots and schemes behinds parents backs Smile

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:40 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Houses are not as safe as houses Confused . I bought a house in 1989, and finally managed to off load it at the end of 2002. Did make a small amount on it, except the small amount was less than the first years mortgage interest. Landed up on Channel 4 News over that!

However most of the time they are a good deal, just don't buy at the wrong time. Having said that now might well be the wrong time as house prices are hideously high and interest rates are going up.

My main point is that you quite likely have a fairly substantial pile of cash coming along. You are unlikely to get a similar pile of cash again in your life. Use it for something that will last, don't just piss it up the wall.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 01:49 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:

My main point is that you quite likely have a fairly substantial pile of cash coming along. You are unlikely to get a similar pile of cash again in your life. Use it for something that will last, don't just piss it up the wall.


Yes I know I'm trying so hard not to do this! I am really lucky (Can you call it that?? males in here?) that I am getting this and I hope I am sensible enough when I get it to manage it properly. I am waiting on the house market to hopefully crash and then I can buy one!

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:11 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Don't know if it will crash. Hope not (although it would not really affect me). However I am pretty much expecting prices to stop going up, probably for a decade or so while pay catches up.

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I read up a little bit last night on the previous market crash in the 80's. It doesn't look anything like that now. My best bet is to wait, see what the final figure is and then use it and not to speculate!

Thank you all for your comments

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Kickstart
The Oracle



Joined: 04 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 19:33 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Point is that in the late 80's interest rates hit about 15% for a short time. However, considering their starting point then it would only take the current rate to rise to around 6% to have increased peoples payments by the same amount.

House prices have got very silly at the moment. Ours seems to have tripled in the 9 years since we bought it (not that it does us the slightest bit of good). The only reason people can afford any houses is because interest rates are very low. The only reason that they are low is because they fiddle around with them based on inflation and the inflation figure they use is based on the prices of products. Products are getting cheaper (China has a rapidly growing industrial base with cheap labour), but for most people the cost of living is going up quite rapidly due to hidden tax rises, spiraling mortgage costs, council tax going through the roof, hideious petrol costs, rising gas, electric and water prices. Peoples pay is barely going up at all (I think I got a 2.9% pay rise this year, and virtually nobody in the place I work has had a promotion leading to a pay rise in the last 5 years).

Don't buy a house to speculate. If you do then you stand a chance of loosing money (someone has to loose). Buy one as a very long term investment on the basis that you will have a fairly fixed outgoings on it afterwards pretty much immune to inflation, while if you rent then the rent goes up every year. Where I used to live the little old lady next door had her rent put up and complained to the councils fair rents department. They took one look at what she was paying and put it up again!

All the best

Keith
____________________
Traxpics, track day and racing photographs - Bimota Forum - Bike performance / thrust graphs for choosing gearing
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JimboJ
Manc Pikey



Joined: 23 Aug 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 21:57 - 07 May 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kickstart wrote:
They took one look at what she was paying and put it up again!


I can't believe someone did that to an old lady!

Cheers Keith, You know far too much! Wink

James
____________________
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> which one's the missionary position
[00:42] <NSR-Andy> i've heard it's good
[9:42pm] <Shaun> you came first mike | <Shaun> yes gav, because I really want to fuck you
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 22 years, 156 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.08 Sec - Server Load: 0.68 - MySQL Queries: 15 - Page Size: 132.65 Kb