Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums


Do I want a Ducati?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  
Author Message

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:42 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Do I want a Ducati? Reply with quote

Been off two wheels for over 6 months now and have started to plan my come back! Now in the past I have been riding all year round but now I can afford a bike and a car I will tend to be a fair weather rider. I have started looking around and having never owned an Italian twin I quite fancy a Ducati, now the plan was to get a zx10r but I keep finding myself looking at Ducati’s! I think because as I will only be using it on nice dry day’s reliability and running costs are not as much as an issue as they have been in the past. I like the idea of owning a Ducati because they a just that little bit more special than your average Jap IL4. I know the Jap bikes will give you a better overall package but I just have an urge to own a Ducati.

The two Ducati’s in my price range are the 748 and the 749, would be good to hear from anyone who has owned/ridden one, and to get their thoughts.


Cheers
____________________
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

craigs23
Mr Muscle



Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:48 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best person to ask is G, he loves Italian twins.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:53 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigs23 wrote:
Best person to ask is G, he loves Italian twins.


Yeah I heard that too........
____________________
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:56 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn google images for foiling my *insert witty picture of glamouress sexy Italian twin models that G loves* that I was planning posting!!!!
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 14:58 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely a 748/749 would be a bit of a come down after a thou four?

Speaking of point and squirt only, it very well may be superior in the handling etc etc
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:05 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not really looking for the best bike I can buy in terms of power and handling, I want something with character and a bit different. My best bet is go to a dealer and try and get a test ride, and then I might realise that a 1000cc ballistic zx10r would be the better option.
____________________
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Nice Guy
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:09 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Half Lyfe selling his 749?

If you're brave... Very Happy
____________________
Suzuki GSX-R750K4 ~ Mivv GP
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:11 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? Reply with quote

JAMSXR wrote:
The two Ducati’s in my price range are the 748 and the 749, would be good to hear from anyone who has owned/ridden one, and to get their thoughts.
Cheers


I had a 916 (1997) as a track bike last year. They have loads of midrange grunt, loads of pull out of corners, but the rev's just seem to run out too quick/low, but you can get good drive in any gear as long as you're above 3k rpm.

It was so small and light you can throw it around like a 250 2-stroke. It sounded f**king awesome! Wink

Would I get another one?...... Yes, but I'd go for a 998.

I've always been into my IL4 bikes and wanted to try a Ducati. You hear people saying they hate them, would never get another one, but I would. I loved it, was a superb bike and VERY easy to work on / service, and lovely to ride......

4th gear pootling along at 40, quick blip of the throttle and you're over 70. I ended up just accelerating just to hear the Termigoni's singing!!! Laughing

Thumbs Up
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:13 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Nice Guy wrote:
Isn't Half Lyfe selling his 749?

If you're brave... Very Happy


Ridden / crashed daily! Laughing
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:20 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? Reply with quote

The 748 actually has power delivery a bit like a litre four, just toned down quite a lot.
For me the power delivery would make sense in a naked bike, but not so much in a hunched-over focused race chassis... same with the 675.

If you 'Just want to own a Ducati', then asking other people might not be the answer Smile.
Some people have done this and come back saying they love the bike (at which I point I suggest they would love any bike they spent a load of money on), while I've known others to have it up for sale with in a few weeks because "it's boring"!

No pics of 'good' Italian twins as I'm in an office, I'm afraid.

I dislike twins and doubly so overpriced ones, whereever they come from (I have actually been seen recommending the RSV-R on occasion!)
If you want 'character', you could always get a new GSXR1000, then use the lowest power mode and chuck a bag of bolts under the rear seat, while slowing down the handling a bit Wink.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

D O G
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:24 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Ducatis, but I would never buy one...

EDIT:
Well actually I would buy one, but only as a second/third bike, once I already had a nice performance bike.

I wouldn't buy a contemporary model though, they're for the poseurs. Wink
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:30 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my RVF400 and that had 50-60 Bhp and a hunched-over focused race chassis!
____________________
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:35 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? Reply with quote

G wrote:
If you 'Just want to own a Ducati', then asking other people might not be the answer Smile.
Some people have done this and come back saying they love the bike (at which I point I suggest they would love any bike they spent a load of money on), while I've known others to have it up for sale with in a few weeks because "it's boring"!


I would never call a Ducati boring. I suspect these people didn't know how to adapt to the riding style!?

I paid £1700 for my 916, spent £400 on it and sold it a year later after doing 6 trackdays in it, for £2250. Not exactly expensive Wink
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:42 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a budget of £4000 give or take a little, so I am not exactuly spending loads.
____________________
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:51 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:

I would never call a Ducati boring. I suspect these people didn't know how to adapt to the riding style!?

Do tell how to adapt your riding style to make a Ducati non-boring Smile.

Oh and I paid £500 for my BMW and sold it for about £200 more than that, despite only have used up half a can of HT paint and got a new key for it... I still think it was too expensive Smile.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 15:55 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMSXR wrote:
I have a budget of £4000 give or take a little, so I am not exactuly spending loads.


You'll get a nice 996 for that sort of money.

Personally, I would not call the ride of a Ducati boring. Nor can I understand why people would not like riding them. This of course is all 'my' opinion. Wink I would not call riding a Ducati 'boring'.

In fact if anything (IMO) it makes a IL4 quite boring to ride in comparasson.

Thumbs Up
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:04 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget to look at the old (2nd) shape RSV-R's
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:05 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? Reply with quote

[quote="G"]
Barry_MC21 wrote:
Oh and I paid £500 for my BMW and sold it for about £200 more than that, despite only have used up half a can of HT paint and got a new key for it... I still think it was too expensive Smile.


Laughing Not quite 'Italian exotica' though is it! Wink

I'm not really fussed about making profit on my bikes, I do that with the cars I buy and sell, and not really been bothered doing that for a few years now. As long as I get back somewhere near what I paid then I'm happy.

Gone are my days of £2k profits on buy-to-sell.... I prefer to 'tinker' for a hobby now. Thumbs Up
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:08 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarkJ wrote:
Don't forget to look at the old (2nd) shape RSV-R's


Always got the impression the build quality and reliability of the Aprilias was not a touch on the Ducati’s.
____________________
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:11 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMSXR wrote:
Always got the impression the build quality and reliability of the Aprilias was not a touch on the Ducati’s.


I have that impression too. While looking for a new track bike, I've seen a few RSV's that might fit the bill, but just never really been too impressed with the Aprillia build reputation?!

Although I've never ridden one!!
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarkJ
World Chat Champion



Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:23 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry_MC21 wrote:
I have that impression too. While looking for a new track bike, I've seen a few RSV's that might fit the bill, but just never really been too impressed with the Aprillia build reputation?!

Although I've never ridden one!!

Build quality on my RSVR is much better than my Honda (ok, it's only a Hornet). Rides well too.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:28 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? Reply with quote

Nope, mine didn't have the associated 'trendy' status that a lot of Ducatis have, thankfully Smile.

The point was that cheap and even making money from them doesn't mean they weren't overpriced in the first place!

I would call the power delivery and handling of a Ducati 'boring' compared to the alternatives available.
I prefer a bike that encourages me to turn the throttle more, lean that bit more; while the Ducati it seems does what it's told (quite well) but no more.
I'm not actually a fan of litre bikes generally either, as they too easily satisfy my needs.
As I've gone on about before, I suspect aural stimulation is partly to do with one of the reasons I like fours; there's more of an obvious response to when you are making the most of the engine than on a twin.

I'd always had the impression the big Aprilias at least had better 'quality' than the big Ducatis if anything.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion



Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Karma :

PostPosted: 16:52 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it’s all about riding style as well as preference. I do remember a review comparing a 749 and a K4 GSXR 600 and despite being allot more expensive they pretty much put then on an even par.
____________________
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Barry_M2
World Chat Champion



Joined: 09 Sep 2004
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:15 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? Reply with quote

G wrote:
I prefer a bike that encourages me to turn the throttle more, lean that bit more


See, now I found that the 916 actually did make me do this, more so than in IL4.

But..... I still think I get on better with an IL4 on a track.

Personal preference I guess. Thumbs Up
____________________
ZXR750R (M2) - For the road.
CBR1000 RR4 - For the track.
https://www.bikechatforums.com/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4332
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason



Joined: 02 Feb 2002
Karma :

PostPosted: 17:20 - 09 Jan 2009    Post subject: Re: Do I want a Ducati? Reply with quote

On track my main issue with twins is working out what revs you're at.
Otherwise, I'm riding it the same whatever bike it is generally; so it's merely a case of dropping back slightly more compared to the person infront if you're in the wrong gear.
 Back to top
View user's profile Send private message You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 17 years, 268 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
  Display posts from previous:   
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

Read the Terms of Use! - Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group
 

Debug Mode: ON - Server: birks (www) - Page Generation Time: 0.14 Sec - Server Load: 0.71 - MySQL Queries: 16 - Page Size: 139.63 Kb